Information Re Weedkiller Named "red Dog"

BAYBOY

Recently had a local Farmer in to spray the weeds growing around the sides of our orchard. Did a good job using a mix of Roundup and another spray called "Red Dog". Weeds yellowed up in a couple of days and now all dead.

Any body have info. about this spray. The pack is written in Thai and I only got a glance at it.Told that this mix is the best to clear out large bushy type weeds and it sure does.

BAYBOY

It doesn't sound good - there are compatibility tables for agricultural and horticultural chemicals telling you what you can and cannot mix. It may have been a sufficant which enables the glysophate /round-up to stick to the leaves and ensues a better kill rate , but a lot of these are dangerous for wetland life/insects/frogs etc in particular.

It often amazes me at how little regard some user of agricultural chemicals have for their own health or that of others and no regard for the long term consquences. My wife's grandfather died as a result of using paraquat without a mask several years ago and he thought using a mask was unnecessary.

Recently had a local Farmer in to spray the weeds growing around the sides of our orchard. Did a good job using a mix of Roundup and another spray called "Red Dog". Weeds yellowed up in a couple of days and now all dead.

Any body have info. about this spray. The pack is written in Thai and I only got a glance at it.Told that this mix is the best to clear out large bushy type weeds and it sure does.

BAYBOY

Could you take a picture (even with your mobile phone) of the bottle and post it ?

Actually we're looking for a "path maker" :) , for the alleys around the property, just to clear everything. So far we have used Roundup and the local 48 something, with mixed results. We tried different combination, when the weather is dry, when it's raining, it doesn't work 100%. We also don't agree with the caretaker, he said we should allow some green leaves because the weed killer attacks the plants through the leaves, but we want a clear path, no green, we don't want the alleys to turn into a jungle before we spray. Any suggestion ?

tks in advance

lbb

Actually we're looking for a "path maker" :) , for the alleys around the property, just to clear everything. So far we have used Roundup and the local 48 something, with mixed results. We tried different combination, when the weather is dry, when it's raining, it doesn't work 100%. We also don't agree with the caretaker, he said we should allow some green leaves because the weed killer attacks the plants through the leaves, but we want a clear path, no green, we don't want the alleys to turn into a jungle before we spray. Any suggestion ?

Your caretaker it right about RoundUp or the generic product by Siam Ag with 48% glyphosate, the active ingredient in Round Up. It works best when applied to leafy green foliage. You don't have to let it grow up to become a jungle, but you do need some leaves. You should apply to dry foliage when there is not rain or overhead irrigation expected for at least 4 hours.

I don't know what Red Dog is, maybe a surfactant, or maybe another herbacide, but 3 days is a quick kill, Glyphosate takes up to a week to show browning out of the foliage, so don't judge your results until after that time frame. Plan on a second spot application after one week to get the broadleaf weeds that have more resistance.

For a "pathmaker" there are stronger contact herbacides, soil sterilants and pre-emergents, although I haven't used them in Thailand and don't know what 's available. But have you considered a shovel and a hoe? Get some exercise and minimize herbicide use. don

Edited by drtreelove

For a "pathmaker" there are stronger contact herbacides, soil sterilants and pre-emergents, although I haven't used them in Thailand and don't know what 's available. But have you considered a shovel and a hoe? Get some exercise and minimize herbicide use. don

Because of the theory of our caretaker to have a jungle before doing anything, we usually end up with our path covered with a thick layer of rotten dead grass. This time I cleared and cleaned up myself about 500 m of path with a brush cutter before applying the weed killer, something I'm not ready to do every month. And with a shovel and hoe even less!

med_gallery_88064_1142_46809.jpg

Furthermore some of the main alleys are covered with gravel, so the shovel and the hoe are not really an option there either.

As I said before, one of the problem we face is the dead grass left behind, so if we can find a way to stop the weeds to appear at the first place, we will have solved a great headache.

Looking at your picture of the path it may be a good idea to look at a propane burner. It will kill the emerging weeds and that dry hay laying there will burn nicely when dry. The green growth/jungle is a natural fire break when its green and wet. Once that is done the herbicide application can be done about every 2 months during the wet and longer in dry and winter.

Looking at your picture of the path it may be a good idea to look at a propane burner. It will kill the emerging weeds and that dry hay laying there will burn nicely when dry. The green growth/jungle is a natural fire break when its green and wet. Once that is done the herbicide application can be done about every 2 months during the wet and longer in dry and winter.

Sounds like a great idea, but I don't remember seeing anything like that before in Thailand, usually a lighter is all what's needed.

Spoke with the local spray / fertilizer shop today. The mix is..... 200 mls Round Up with 4 heaped table spoons of Red Dog. Red Dog would sound like ''mar dang " in Thai, if that helps. It is a powder.

xen... Because it worked so quickly and did the job was the reason I asked the question.Like you I worry about the total lack of equipment used by the farmers here in Thailand when using chemicals and sprays. I am sure no one ever tells them of the strengths and dangers of the sprays they use.A tee shirt wrapped around the face and lets get spraying.

The shop that sells the sprays here in our village has all the sprays shelved in the front of the shop and down one side in the shop.The rest of the shop is stocked with a huge selection of grocery lines etc. It is the biggest shop in the village selling food items. The smell of chemicals is overwhelming and can be smelt down the street.We only buy spray there.Next door is an empty shop which they own as well. Why the health people don't get them to shift!!!!!

Weeds are a problem with the rain, Round Up on it's own usually does the trick. But you have to keep on top by spraying / brushcutting often. Thais generally let the weeds grow too much.

BAYBOY

Slapout, thank you very much for the information. I didn't know this stuff before, I did a bit of research on the internet and it's exactly what we need. Do you know where it's available in Thailand ? I don't remember seeing one in Do Home (the best shopping place in Thailand, 10 to 50% cheaper than everywhere else for those who don't know yet) but I wasn't looking for one either. I've no problem to buy one abroad if needed but then I'm afraid to be unable to find the propane refill later.

lbb

The propane refill can be done by any place where they sell propane for auto's or where they refill the tanks used for the gas cooking stoves. You can make one using a propane tank, regulator, long feeder hose and a burn nozzle with valve. One of the members mentioned he made one and uses it on his farm, cannot remember who, but lickey and/or gary A, pop into mind. It's hel_l to get old first the eyes then the memory goes.