Misinformation On Changing Visa Status: Student To Marriage Visa

Guys,

I am in Thailand on a study visa as I intended to study a BA degree at one of the international universities in Bangkok. As it happens, my wife's mother has been recently diagnosed with lung cancer and naturally we have spent the time since coming here taking care of her: supporting her and taking her to hospitals. This in turn have prevented me from starting school as planned.

Now to my question, I am already married to a Thai woman, albeit we did not marry in Thailand but back when we lived in Europe. What I would like to accomplish, is to convert to a marriage visa and then study select courses from the BBA program. I would still study, but part-time --which may not be enough to carry the study (ED) visa status.

It seems logical enough, right!? However when we went to the BKK immigration office, 5 different clerks offered at least 5 different responses, none of which seemed realistic or correct.

Help is much appreciated.

As is often the case, the quality of the answers you get depends on the quality of your question.

There being no marriage visa, the five different immigration officers you talked to probably made five different guesses as to what you might mean and then gave five different answers.

There is a visa to travel to Thailand to visit your wife. This is the non-immigrant visa type “O”, and you get it from a Thai consulate.

However, you are already in Thailand and have permission to stay based on your non-Ed visa. Therefore, you can apply for annual extensions of stay for the reason of living with your Thai wife. No need to "convert" anything. Is this what you want to do?

--

Maestro

However you must have 400,000 baht in a bank account to do so - or proof of 40,000 baht per month income. Without that the best you can obtain is a multi entry non immigrant O visa from KL allowing up to 15 months stay but having to depart/return every 90 days.

Since you did not get married here your wife must also must register your marriage at the Amphoe (district office) and have her house book and ID changed showing her marrieage. When this is done she should get a copy ot the family status registration. (Kor Ror.22) thay you will need when you apply for your extension of stay based upon marriage.

Prior to going to the Amphoe you will need to have your marriage certificate translated to Thai and the translation certified by the Ministry of Forign Affairs.

You can also get 60 days extension of stay based on married to Thai national, no money requirement.

Extension Rule.

2.24 In the case of an alien visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto.

Edited by PoorSucker

Thanks for the helpful responses guys!

If I go for the O-visa type, I understand I need to show the 400k baht in funds. Can you confirm I need to have 40k baht income as well and if that income is in Thailand or back home? How is income proven? Letter from employer enough? Latest pay stub?

Thanks again.

Non Imm O Visa does not require 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 income.

A 12 month Extension needs 400,000 Baht in a Thai Bank. A letter from the bank is needed as proof.

OR 40,000 Baht a month income. You need a letter from your Embassy verifying this as proof.

Thanks for the helpful responses guys!

If I go for the O-visa type, I understand I need to show the 400k baht in funds. Can you confirm I need to have 40k baht income as well and if that income is in Thailand or back home? How is income proven? Letter from employer enough? Latest pay stub?

Thanks again

You won't be changing to a o visa you will be getting an extension based upon marriage verses one to attend school.

If you show the funds you don't have to show the income. Income earned outside Thailand must be proven by a letter from your embassy. What proof that is shown will depend upon them.