Bars Closed Again.

brzy

SURAT THANI : Turnout was low on the first day of advance voting yesterday for the Aug 30 by-election in Surat Thai where "party pride" is at stake, according to the Election Commission.

Crowds were thin at most polling stations in Constituency 1 where parties are vying for the seat formerly held by Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban.

Sumon Nongnuan, Surat Thani election commissioner, said about 2,000 people cast votes yesterday, the first day of the advance voting weekend. The by-election is being held in 7 districts, including Muang, with 330,000 eligible voters.

Continued here: Bangkok Post

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-08-23

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SURAT THANI : Turnout was low on the first day of advance voting yesterday for the Aug 30 by-election in Surat Thai where "party pride" is at stake, according to the Election Commission.

Crowds were thin at most polling stations in Constituency 1 where parties are vying for the seat formerly held by Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban.

Sumon Nongnuan, Surat Thani election commissioner, said about 2,000 people cast votes yesterday, the first day of the advance voting weekend. The by-election is being held in 7 districts, including Muang, with 330,000 eligible voters.

Continued here: Bangkok Post

postlogo.jpg

Turnout was low as everybody was probably getting drunk in all the bars that hadn't closed!!!

Edited by sketcher

well we just had similar elections here in the uk, the local polling station recorded a 16.7 % turn out of the population, but hey, they never paid me for my vote so why should i turn up ... but the pub was still open :)

Just been informed that the bars are to be closed from Friday for 3 days :/

Just been told that a well known beach bar in chaweng{where noah lived}...got fined 50k bht the other night for opening and sellin booze.....oh dear!!!!! :)

Last time there was an alcohol ban in samui my g/f and her mate managed to have a few beers on the beach but her mate got a bit ummm 'unsteady on her feet' and the police saw them walikng her home and asked how come she was drunk when there was no alcohol allowed? They told them she was still drunk from the day before and they said 'oh that's ok then' LOL

Does anyone know why there is an alcohol ban for elections? Are elections in Samui historically blighted by alcohol induced rioting or something?

Just curious :)

postlogo.jpg

there didn't seem to be any polling places open in KPN so what was the point? the Thais i talked to knew nothing about it. and it sounds like another dry weekend next weekend for the real election. i don't own a bar but if i did, i'd be pissed (American pissed, not English pissed)

For a restaurant a couple of day w/o sell alcohol is not a so important lost. For a bar is a different matter.

BTW for what I see in Koh Phangan, most of business follow to sell alcohol without any problem and Police doesn't enforces the law so much...

Are you all owners of a bar or alcoholics here on ThaiVisa?

What's the problem if sometimes there is no alcohol to buy?

Chayaphum :)

I'm not an owner of a bar. Neither do i wish to drink alcohol this coming weekend. However i have huge sympathy for bar owners who have invested their money here and are struggling to pay, in many cases extortionate rent, and are having arguably their best business days taken away from them.

I also would'nt be overjoyed if i were a tourist either. This is an island, dependent on tourism, in a country hugely reliant on revenue for tourism.

A tourist, or anyone else for that matter, cannot sit down in a bar at the weekend, watching football with a cold beer, (obviously an alcoholic!) is simply ludicrous.

When will common sense prevail?...............i think i already know the answer to that question!!!

in a country hugely reliant on revenue for tourism.

Thailand's tourism makes up about 6.5% of its GDP

But, your prior statement is indeed correct,

This is an island, dependent on tourism

Bar closures for elections that do not involve tourists voting seems a bit much. Why not just ban alcohol sales to Thais?

Bar closures for elections that do not involve tourists voting seems a bit much. Why not just ban alcohol sales to Thais?

Maybe because some despaired farangs might become booze runners... :)

Why not just ban alcohol sales to Thais?

That would go down well with a Farang/Thai couple having a night out. :D

At least you could get sloshed while Mr SBK would be safe to drive the car home. :D

Hypothetically of course as I know that you would never allow alcohol to pass your lips. :)

You don't think that this figure is that important? Add the enormous overseas investment that goes with it. The true value of tourism here is enormous

I hate that Tourism makes up only 6.5% of GDP arguement. Industry makes up 49% GDP but only employs 14% of the workforce.

Tourism is probably the biggest employer in Thailand (directly or indirectly) I am sure the real number is not know. Thailand Tourism also makes up the largest contribution to the economy than any other Asian nation.

Tourism is a major benefactor to the economy in Thailand and revenues are projected to be down 22% compared to last year.

Closing bars for a weekend when only 2,000 locals can be bothered to vote helps no one!

I have been looking forward to a trip to samui for a few months, work permitting I was going to go but then we had the rain and lanslide in Surat so didnt go, I was about to makes plans to come this weekend but have now decided against it as I wanted to relax for a few days...just booked a really cheap flight to Singerpore so will spend my money there instead....how many other people have gone elsewhere because of either the rain or bars being closed......

how many other people have gone elsewhere because of either the rain or bars being closed......

rain? its not raining in KPN and hasn't for a few days. it is however presently cool.

I was referring to the rainfall about 1 month ago..the main route on the mainland was closed at Surat because of a landslide and that put the stop to an intended trip then

ya, that seems reasonable...why not?