Outdoor Lan-cable

Mario2008

I'll check our cable distributor when I get to the office. Curious as to why the need to run a cable rather then a wireless setup?

Cat5 Outdoors

I currently use a wireless, but they changed the location of the antenna's so now the quality of the signal is bad and often I lose connection.

I have experience with out door cabling in Denmark and there are indeed several different types of cable. I guess what is hardest on the cable here is the direct sun light, as opposed to temperatures in Denmark ranging from -25C to 35C. If your cable is primarily in the shade I would not worry too much.

EDIT: Any consumer wireless product is crap and not recommended for reliable connections.

Edited by niller74

I guess what is hardest on the cable here is the direct sun light,

Guess is what your going to do with the cable... if you take it in every time you use it ? or leave it out..

Myself every cable that is left out is in a garden hose pipe.. DO remember to tape up the ends or you will get all sorts of things making a home inside and poss nibble the cable.... Electric and air pipes to my ponds I put inside the 1/2" blue water pipes.. Did not glue the pipe just pushed on the joiners and bends

We have a regular 20m LAN cable running outside the house exposed to sun and rain to an upstairs room for the past 4 years without problem.

Since Jan. this year also have a 50m cable run to a neighbour's house in a yellow PVC pipe (no glue but taped ends to prevent bugs from making it a home!), so far no problems.

opalhort

May I add that it is important not to put any tension on the cable. The thin copper wire inside can easily snap even if the insulation is holding up.

Make sure the cable is hanging loosely and avoid sharp 90° bends! or use a PVC pipe.

opalhort

May I add that it is important not to put any tension on the cable. The thin copper wire inside can easily snap even if the insulation is holding up.

Make sure the cable is hanging loosely and avoid sharp 90° bends! or use a PVC pipe.

opalhort

Thanks, that's sound advice. I will be sure to have some meters extra anyway.