Anyone Eaten In The Ratchamanka Hotel?

ctrunfree

Yes, several times, and enjoyed it each time, although it has been some months now since I was last there. The environment and atmosphere of the restaurant were very attractive, the wine list was at least adequate (and perhaps better than that, I don't recall well), and the food well prepared and presented, though not the very best Thai food I have had in Chiangmai.

"though not the very best Thai food I have had in Chiangmai".

Thanks, but now I've got to ask the obvious question..

Well, there are many kinds of Thai food, of course, but comparing more or less like with like, I think the food at Comedara is better.

"Well, there are many kinds of Thai food, of course, but comparing more or less like with like, I think the food at Comedara is better".

Ok, thanks..we ate there last trip two years ago and thought it was OK but nothing special..although we thought the guys playing guitar and taking requests were fun...but (as evidenced by the Miguel's thread furore) taste in food is a very subjective thing!

Ok, thanks..we ate there last trip two years ago and thought it was OK but nothing special..although we thought the guys playing guitar and taking requests were fun...but (as evidenced by the Miguel's thread furore) taste in food is a very subjective thing!

Very true, although in this particular case, of course, we won't know whether our respective tastes in food differ until you've sampled the food at the Ratchamanka Hotel and reported your own thoughts about it. :)

OK, I'll try it tonight and report back...(does Thavisa have an expense account for this sort of thing?)

Yes, it does. You need to ask the restaurant staff, however, not only to issue a receipt, but to write on it, in Thai, 'Thaivisa Forum Expense'. Sky's the limit.

Up and down, and that is the problem. The Yunnanese, Burmese and regional dishes are creative and delicious, on the other hand a steak can go horribly wrong. It seems to be a hit and miss at times. I have personally alwyays enjoyed Rachamankha, but husband had a few awfuls meals...so give it a go. As someone said, the setting is sublime and wine list not shabby.

Well, we did end up going last night...

First off the setting is wonderful. You have a choice of inside or out (we went in). The room is magnificently set up, a real "special occasion" feel. The crispy white tablecloth and nicely set table added to the ambience.

We decided to go for the Thai set meal for two (800 baht net), as we thought that would be the best way to experience what the chef thinks are his standouts.

The set menu consisted of 5 courses, all which came on a long plate at the same time, as they should, and a subsequent dessert. There was myanmar fishcakes, spicy lemongrass salad (3 * chilli warning), a beef curry lanna soup, chicken with herbs tai yai, and spicy shredded pork (two* chilli warning).

I guess my overall impression of the whole thing was "bland". We asked for extra chillis, as even the "warning" dishes appeared devoid of any heat. But it wasn't just a case of lack of heat, as most of the dishes seem to lack the great concentration of flavours that emerge in the best Thai cooking. We were left with the impression that the chef either doesn't know how to cook Thai (the frequent appearance of curly leaf parsley raised our eyebrows) or that he is under instructions to tone the whole thing down to suit the palete of the cashed up farangs that stay in the hotel. Maybe the European menu is better handled.

So it appears a great shame, that Ratchamanka at the moment doesn't have the restaurant to do justice to its wonderful surrounds..

post-86890-1250914885_thumb.jpg

Bummer, ctrunfree. Either the food has gone downhill since I was last there, quite a time ago, or we have a further clue that our tastes in food differ. I'm thinking the former, but hardly encouraged to check it out.

"though not the very best Thai food I have had in Chiangmai".

Thanks, but now I've got to ask the obvious question..

Well, there are many kinds of Thai food, of course, but comparing more or less like with like, I think the food at Comedara is better.

Yes, Comedara is better

Bummer, ctrunfree. Either the food has gone downhill since I was last there, quite a time ago, or we have a further clue that our tastes in food differ. I'm thinking the former, but hardly encouraged to check it out.

We ate there last night.

Won't bother again. Slow service, interesting men, cold food. Not cheap.

Cheery Trifle ( don't know if that is what they ment, or if it was miss-spelling. It was nothing like trifle. Cubes of sponge with a little chopped fruit ,ice cream and a cheery on top.

Back to San Sabai, great food, great service, great live music, great prices.

Directions please.

Directions please.

Errrrrr, Google ?

I think name has changed, but easy to find.Go past Traffic lights at Rimping, San sai. Take first U-turn and it is on the left. very big restaurant, set on a lake. In three years, it has been,for our group of dinner chums always been the best thai food, cheap and good service. lovely beer girls and great group sing a lot of farang songs.

Directions please.

Directions please.

May have changed name. Go through Rimping San Sai traffic lights from Super highway direction. Take first U-turn its on the right. Very big restaurant, set on lake. In three years, our little dining group have agreed that it has always been best Thai food, cheap, good service, live band sing a lot of farang music, Twice a week for us.

Directions please.

May have changed name. Go through Rimping San Sai traffic lights from Super highway direction. Take first U-turn its on the right. Very big restaurant, set on lake. In three years, our little dining group have agreed that it has always been best Thai food, cheap, good service, live band sing a lot of farang music, Twice a week for us.

It is called Sum Non Zee. Formely known as Sum Sabai.

• 7 months later...

I was lucky enough to be invited to Rachamanka for lunch.

I had what my host called "Asian Delights" - 5 dishes - Thai Yai and Myanmar style. This was served as a meal for 2 people and beautifully presented on a long tray. Not spicey but very very flavoursome.

Rice was served individually in a lidded container.

Mayanmar fish cakes, no chillies and very tasty.

Spicy Coriander Salad - explains itself

Tai Yai Prawn Soup - this dish was also very flavoursome; large prawns that had perfect texture

Vegetable dish - the flavours were fantastic - eggplant was cooked to perfection and is one of my favourite vegetables.

Hang Lay Curry - now this was superb - ginger, tomato, shallots, garlic with pieces of fish and the sauce was so edible I really felt like licking the plate!!

There was enough for 2 people to eat and feel good. Next time I am in town I will go back!

Drove past NonZ tonight, by the amount of cars parked out the front it must be reasonable, its nearly opposite the PTT on 1001, I must give it a try sometime.

Drove past NonZ tonight, by the amount of cars parked out the front it must be reasonable, its nearly opposite the PTT on 1001, I must give it a try sometime.

It is not "reasonable". In fact it is rather expensive. If you are looking for reasonable then try Im Pla Pao also in Sansai. Same type of thing but much less expensive. Soon Non Sri has a Top 40 kind of band so you pay extra for entertainment.