Bring Money In And Out Of Thailand

Hi, I am bringing in a great amount of money, foreign currency, which will be exported a few weeks later. It's just transiting through Thailand. The problem is, that the money will be carried out by another person.

What is the correct way to do? Is there any restriction of foreign money to be exported from Thailand? Do I have to declare the money before entering Thailand? Can the same amount be exported by another person?

Many thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

JIM

Hi, I am bringing in a great amount of money, foreign currency, which will be exported a few weeks later. It's just transiting through Thailand. The problem is, that the money will be carried out by another person.

What is the correct way to do? Is there any restriction of foreign money to be exported from Thailand? Do I have to declare the money before entering Thailand? Can the same amount be exported by another person?

Many thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

JIM

What amount and what currency? There are declaration limits.

Edited by oldgeezer

Reporting requirement on the Thai end. There are usually similar reporting requirements into other countries.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Trave...?menuNme=Travel

"For Foreign currency, any person who brings or takes and aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent out of or into the Kingdom of Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to Customs. Failure to declare or make false declaration is a criminal offence. "

jim

normally when an individual travels with currencies regardless of origin and amount, it is wise to only have on hand sufficient cash for daily incidentals, be it 10k or 20k usd depending on a person's life style, the rest be it 100k to millions usd would be in other forms of negotiable.

your intention to carry on person stacks of currency would impress your companions and many others.... but that is hardly a safe way to travel....

in thailand, for as little as 2 mil bath in cash, a farang needs to declare to comply with money laundry regulations. i made such declaration twice last week.....

under normal condition, you exit a country the same way as you enter.... but if you wish to do something "significance" in between, and have someone else acting as your carrier, on your way out....; just ascertain that he or she can withstand the scrutiny.... which may or may not happen....

only you know what your intention is....

really, what you are planning to do seems exciting to many travelers but in reality it is rather immature at best.... lol

ENGAGE A PROFESSIONAL LICENSED INTERNATIONAL CARRIER. you surely can afford it, right?

Edited by nakachalet

really, what you are planning to do seems exciting to many travelers but in reality it is rather immature at best.... lol

ENGAGE A PROFESSIONAL LICENSED INTERNATIONAL CARRIER. you surely can afford it, right?

he might be able to afford it but he won't find one which handles cash.

i do know that banking wise, i can transfer as much in as i want, but i cant transfer anything out!

What if you started a company ? Surely businesses transfer cash overseas regularly ?

And how about Thai people ? Don't rich Thais transfer money overseas for business reasons, or if they move overseas ?

i do know that banking wise, i can transfer as much in as i want, but i cant transfer anything out!

Virtually all Thai Banks will allow you to make SWIFT transfer to banks outside Thailand. I think for large amounts you will have to tell them the source of the funds.

TH

jc14all

a few previous posts indicating that the exchange rate at paypal was very much in favor of paypal, even though the fees might seem less expensive than other means. i have no personal knowledge though. the less than favorable exchange rate used by paypal might end up costing you more than other means.

jc14all

a few previous posts indicating that the exchange rate at paypal was very much in favor of paypal, even though the fees might seem less expensive than other means. i have no personal knowledge though. the less than favorable exchange rate used by paypal might end up costing you more than other means.

Thank you nakachalet, I probably won't use paypal but I thought that it may be an option maybe for an emergency. Of course the opportunity cost is something that we all must face when the exchange rate plays a governing role. I appreciate your feedback.