Toyota Vigo 8k Km. .. Exhaust Spits Out Black Soot

Noticed yesterday and today. Quite sure it has not happened before. The effluent is almost black and feels oily to the touch. There is not alot of it -- let's say about 10 tablespoons. But definitely noticeable on a light colored floor and yes, the puddle sits directly below the exhaust. Happens with the vehicle parked -- when driven? ouch! ... but don't know.

Can't go in to the dealer until next week due to time constraints -- in the meantime, your thoughts? Is it serious?

Muchas Gracias, amigos.

:o:D

is this happening after the engine is turned off or whilst parked with the engine running , can you see it dripping out of the end of the pipe or is it melted lubricant from one of the components that sits close to the hot exhaust dripping down.

maybe its the new engine bedding in ????

collect some of it in a bottle and take it to the dealer as you would a urine sample to the quack :o

i think a visit to the dealer is called for. 100,000km guarantee on vigos

i'm coming up to 1000km in mine now so i'll keep a watch on mine.

post the diagnosis..... and the cure.

Tax hows the Vigo running? any complaints?.............

coming up to 1000kms and nothing but praise.

took the first couple of days to get used to the size , but now it feels normal , sit really high up in the 4wd version so you can see over the roof of the car in front.

drives fine , smooth as silk. but could do with softer springing at the back wheels over the ruts and bumps. good sound system (cd /cassette/am.fm/mp3) with more than enough power. no complaints so far.

like to know what harmonicas black discharge is all about though.

We have had some cool nights recently.

You will get some condensation in the exhaust which mixes with the soot and comes out as black gunge when you start the engine.

If the gunge is coming out at other times then its time to visit the nice spanner man at Toyotas.

is this happening after the engine is turned off or whilst parked with the engine running , can you see it dripping out of the end of the pipe or is it melted lubricant from one of the components that sits close to the hot exhaust dripping down.

maybe its the new engine bedding in ????

collect some of it in a bottle and take it to the dealer as you would a urine sample to the quack :o

i think a visit to the dealer is called for. 100,000km guarantee on vigos

i'm coming up to 1000km in mine now so i'll keep a watch on mine.

post the diagnosis..... and the cure.

There is no trail of oil in the driveway, so this is happening when in Park with the engine running OR when I start the engine in the morning and let it warm up for about 5 mins. in Park.

>>>>>> melted lubricant from one of the components that sits close to the hot exhaust dripping down <<<<<<

it doesn't seem to be this, Tax -- I got down on hands and knees and scanned the underside for drips or likely locations for drips etc. Nothing found.

Bottling a sample is a good idea -- and for sure, I will post the diagnosis and cure -- count on it.

Glad you're enjoying yours -- it really is a terrific vehicle -- and, from one of the past threads, yes I have decided to do the oil+filter change every 5K and I'll stick with the semi-synthetic.

Thanks for the assistance. :D

We have had some cool nights recently.

You will get some condensation in the exhaust which mixes with the soot and comes out as black gunge when you start the engine.

If the gunge is coming out at other times then its time to visit the  nice spanner man at Toyotas.

I'd be relieved if it does turn out to be the cool nights causing this. The next couple days ought to be revealing.

Thanks Thetyim.

Tax hows the Vigo running? any complaints?.............

coming up to 1000kms and nothing but praise.

took the first couple of days to get used to the size , but now it feels normal , sit really high up in the 4wd version so you can see over the roof of the car in front.

drives fine , smooth as silk. but could do with softer springing at the back wheels over the ruts and bumps. good sound system (cd /cassette/am.fm/mp3) with more than enough power. no complaints so far.

like to know what harmonicas black discharge is all about though.

Digressing for just a moment -- Tax, have you gotten a front bumper installed? If not, are you considering it? Your thoughts on this, please? Thanks.

I agree with Thetyim, its most likely condensation in your exhaust system if it happens after you have been parked for a while.

If it happens when car is hot and running, then Id suspect a cracked block or head gasket leaking, . You can determine this by checking your engine oil after running the engine and its hot. If it looks "milky" then water from your cooloing system is mixing with it. Another check is cooling system fluids, is there oil in there? (Sometimes oil dosent show in cooling system but water always shows in the oil).

Another check is putting your hand under/into the exhaust smoke when the car is parked and running after warming up. If your hand gets wet you have a problem. Or "white smoke" (steam) when accelerating.

If block is cracked or head gasket blown, water gets into the cylenders and is burned with fuel and out the exhaust, giving the same effect as condensation mentiond by Thetyim.

Tax, have you gotten a front bumper installed?

yes , what with the lower front part being mostly plastic and the high chance of it being destroyed by careless parking or a high speed encounter with a dog , i put on a bar type thing that gives some protection to the lower front. its bolted on to something that comes off the chassis. cost was 4500b.

yes , what with the lower front part being mostly plastic and the high chance of it being destroyed by careless parking or a high speed encounter with a dog , i put on a bar type thing that gives some protection to the lower front. its bolted on to something that comes off the chassis. cost was 4500b.

In Aussie they are called Roo bars..in NZ Bull Bars. :o

harmonica, I hope it is just condentation etc..remember all Diesel cars burn oil ,some more than others.

let us know how you get on.

I agree with Thetyim, its most likely condensation in your exhaust system if it happens after you have been parked for a while.

If it happens when car is hot and running, then Id suspect a cracked block or head gasket leaking, . You can determine this by checking your engine oil after running the engine and its hot. If it looks "milky" then water from your cooloing system is mixing with it. Another check is cooling system fluids, is there oil in there? (Sometimes oil dosent show in cooling system but water always shows in the oil).

Another check is putting your hand under/into the exhaust smoke when the car is parked and running after warming up. If your hand gets wet you have a problem. Or "white smoke" (steam) when accelerating.

If block is cracked or head gasket blown, water gets into the cylenders and is burned with fuel and out the exhaust, giving the same effect as condensation mentiond by Thetyim.

Only correct most of the time.

Depends where the crack is.

Good stuff, Maka -- much obliged. Point by point, all will be checked. :o

thanks -- was going to have this done in Phuket back in early January before leaving for Chiangmai -- but, will get it done here. Inexpensive at 4,500 Baht.

Thanks Chuchok.

OK, no drip last night and neither was there any this morning on startup. And, there is none now. (Good thing we're not talking about that drip .... :o

Thetyim's explanation has high odds of being correct -- I'll give it a couple more days and check out the other features suggested by Maka.

Sometime next week, I might even be close to the 10K full service visit to Toyota.

Muchas Gracias amigos. :D

Thetyim

"Only correct most of the time.

Depends where the crack is. "

Correct, but.....we are not trying to detarmine if he has a cracked block, we are trying to determine if a cracked block is the cause of the black residue, or if its just condensation as you sugest. As it appears, now, you were right, it is/was only condensation.

Great news!!!

Thetyim

"Only correct most of the time.

Depends where the crack is. "

Correct, but.....we are not trying to detarmine if he has a cracked block, we are trying to determine if a cracked block is the cause of the black residue, or if its just condensation as you sugest. As it appears,  now, you were right, it is/was only condensation.

Great news!!!

None today. :o

Just had the 10K Km. service done. Specifically asked about the problem mentioned here -- 2 mechanics said, "no problem" -- but the service manager asked, "who told you about the condensation?"

Hehehehehe, Thetyim you have a job offer from Niyom Panich Toyota, CM. :o

If I remember correctly, you live in Phrae?

No matter -- next time in CM, dinner and a barrel of beer on me, amigo!

Good call!

:D