Ten Things Everyone Should Do In Bangkok

churchill

FROM hooking a monster catfish to copping an eyefull at a penis shrine – here's our top Thai hot list:

1. Dine out on street food

An essential ingredient that adds undeniable spice to life in Bangkok is its stunning variety of street food. Bangkok just teams with street stalls serving a bewildering array of culinary delights.

Any visitor to the city is strongly advised to forego the flashy restaurants and opt for a cheap and cheerful street treat. Almost everywhere, enterprising vendors have established regular pitches on the pavements. They all have one thing in common; their food is cheap, freshly cooked, tasty and ready in minutes.

Whether you are looking for an al fresco breakfast, a full-blown lunch, a tempting in-between-meals nibble or something to soak up the ale, the street vendors have it all, 24 hours a day.

2. Browse and shop at Chatuchak Market

Chatuchak Weekend Market, known as JJ to the locals, has to be seen to be believed! Whatever you are looking for, this sprawling open-air market has it.

JJ sells crafts made in all regions of Thailand, antiques, silk and textiles, jewellery, clothing, books, pets and plants - you name it.

There are plenty of places to eat too so you can make a day of the experience. And with over 6,000 shops and stalls from which to choose, you'll need plenty of time.

The market is open on Fridays for wholesale customers, and Saturday and Sunday from 8am. till around 7pm.

If you are travelling by the BTS Skytrain, get off at Mor Chit station or at Kampaengphet Station on the MRT underground.

3. Sip cocktails and soak up the view at Red Sky

Dining venues in Bangkok don't come much more dramatic and stylish than Red Sky, the stunning new alfresco rooftop restaurant on the 55th floor of Centara Grand Hotel at Central World.

Located in the heart of the metropolis, this chic bistro and bar takes dining to new heights and provides guests with the best view in the city. Whether dining or just stopping by for a cocktail and to soak up the view, Red Sky is a must for visitors to Bangkok.

Other sky-high venues in Bangkok include Vertigo at the Banyan Tree on Sathorn Road and Skybar at State Tower on Silom Road.

4. Pay a visit to the penis shrine

Any visitor to Bangkok will soon notice a proliferation of shrines outside almost every building.

One of the more unusual is Chao Mae Tuptim, which has become known as the penis shrine. Located in a small park at the rear of the Nai Lert Park hotel on Wireless Road, the shrine includes dozens of enormous carved phalli and a spirit house.

As you may expect, the shrine has a strong connection to fertility and many people who visit make offers here because they want a child. The nearest skytrain station is Ploen Chit.

Other memorable shrines in Bangkok include the fabulous Erawan Shrine at the crossroads close to Chidlom skytrain station.

5. Hook a monster Mekong catfish at a fishing lake

It might not be the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Thailand but the country is increasingly popular as a fishing destination.

Surprisingly, Bangkok has no shortage of lakes stocked to the gills with fish. And we are not talking tiddlers here; enthusiasts come to hook 100 pound giant Mekong catfish, giant Siamese carp and other monsters of the deep.

Fishing lakes have all the gear and bait, and many offer lakeside accommodation.

One of the most well-known is Bungsamran Lake. A much cheaper option popular with Thai is Gnao Nam, or Shadow Lake. There are also plenty of companies offering guide fishing trips such as Mega Fishing Thailand.

6. Visit Wat Pho

With so many outstanding religious sites in Bangkok it's easy to get 'templed-out'.

The answer is to the problem is be selective. If you only visit one temple in the city, make sure it is Wat Pho. The temple is famous for a huge reclining Buddha housed with a beautifully decorated hall.

The 46 metre long and 15 metre high figure was constructed in 1832 during the reign of King Rama III. Designed to illustrate the passing of the Buddha into nirvana, the enormous feet feature mother-of-pearl inlay decoration showing the 108 auspicious characteristics of the Buddha. The inner and outer galleries at Wat Pho are also lined with 788 Buddha images, the largest collection of Buddha images in Thailand.

Wat Pho is located on Chetuphon in the Rattanakosin area and can be reached by taxi or by a river taxi down the Chao Phraya, alighting at Tha Tien Pier.

A word of warning; Wat Pho may be one of Bangkok's most revered religious sites but the streets around it attract their fare share of unsavoury characters looking to scam unsuspecting visitors. The usual trick is to approach tourists and inform them that the temple is closed for the day and offer to take them somewhere else. You are about to be scammed... Temples in Thailand are open every day.

7. Visit the Bangkok flower market

If you intend to head upriver to Wat Pho make a morning of it and jump off the boat a couple of stops before Tha Tien at Memorial Bridge (Saphan Phut) and have a look around Talat Pak Khlong, one of the best wholesale markets in Bangkok. Wandering markets in Bangkok is fascinating and offers up many great photographic opportunities.

Mainly known for fruits, vegetables and flowers, the market offers a vibrant snapshot of life.

By 2 am trade is well under way and the market is heaving with buyers and sellers. Buckets full of roses, and chrysanthemums, orchids hanging from stalls… it is as pretty a sight as you find in Bangkok…and the sweetest smelling market in the city!

Take a ferry from Saphan Thaksin Pier for just 13 baht. When you are done at the market you can walk to Wat Pho or jump in a tuk-tuk for 30 baht.

8. Early morning tai chi in Lumpini Park

If you think Bangkok always moves at full speed, rise early and head along to Lumpini Park and watch the old Chinese locals practicing their controlled tai chi moves in the shade. If you are not used to an early start you can get a shot of fresh snake blood from vendors around the outside of the park. It's considered a tonic by the Chinese and is guaranteed to wake you up! The closest station to Lumpini Park is the MRT underground Lumpini or BTS skytrain Sala Daeng.

9. Watch lads play takraw in the park

Thailand may be renowned for muay Thai boxing but takraw is popular with young lads. The game is incredibly athletic - a kind of full-on, no holds barred volleyball.

After work, groups of office workers gather to knock around a rattan ball using head, hands, arms and feet. Watching them leap in the air and kick the ball over a net with pin-point accuracy is spectacular.

A good place to watch takraw is in Benjasiri Park, also known as Queen's Park, sandwiched between the Emporium shopping centre and the Queen's Park Imperial Hotel, and a short distance from BTS Phom Phrong skytrain station. Go along at around 7pm. The park closes at 9pm.

10. Get a traditional massage

No visit to the Bangkok is complete without experiencing a massage.

Vigorous in nature, Thai massage reaches deep into the muscle tissue, relieving tension and tightness in the body. At the hands of an expert, there is no better way to unwind at the end of a long day of sightseeing.

Forget the overpriced spas in five-star hotels, try one of the many local parlours.

A first rate traditional massage experience can be found at Arima Onsen on Suriwong Road, not far from the Silom BTS Skytrain station. Arima Onsen is renowned for high quality at a very reasonable price. Two-hour traditional Thai massage is around 380 baht.

Be sure to tip the masseuse another 100 baht if you enjoy experience.

Foot, face, and oil massage is also available. For further information visit Arima Onsen.

You can also enjoy a traditional massage or take a course to learn the art at Wat Pho Massage.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,2831...2-27983,00.html

1. Done (about 3000 times)

2. Done (don't like it)

3. Not done (too expensive)

4. Sort of not done/done (It's been closed to the public for years I thought but walk through the hotel and you can see lots of wooden phalli lying around)

5. Done (but didn't catch jack - you've gotta use those chemicals to attract the fish)

6. Not done

7. Done

8. Done

9. Done

10. Done (What's this tipping business??)

Good Post .

What about 10 things not to do ?

I can think of many , but the moderators would have a field day again with me :)

1: Don't get your photo taken while sitting on top of the giant phallis at the doodle shrine. (sorry could not help myself) :D

I would like to add: See the city from the river, either hire a private boat, take the river taxis or a dinner cruise.

One thing I ALWAYS enjoy is a dinner cruise. My favorite leaves from below the Krungthon Bridge, goes down to the Taksin Bridge, turns around and comes back. I think it is Watt Arun that is so spectacular from the river at night.

1.Have dinner at banyan tree just once. Breathtaking view, The steak a tyrannous rex would have difficulty chewing.

1. have a steak at the check in suk. best anywhere 400 bht and you get a chipmunk show

I would say avoid the expensive tourist-oriented massage places near Silom entirely along with the 5-star hotel spas - a massage near where I live (which is still near train transport) only costs 150B/hr & is perfectly fine; but harder for tourists to find perhaps.

Who doesn't tip after a massage?

1) The girls get about 70-90 baht for an hour of massaging

2) They spent 12+ hours a day at work and apart from 3 or 4 hours when they have a customer - they only get paid when they have a customer

all they do is sit, it is phenomenally boring work

3) Then they have to massage sweaty people who have been walking around (without using baby powder!) all day!

4) Their income isn't secure, some days they don't get any customers and therefore make no money

... so tip!

I would say avoid the expensive tourist-oriented massage places near Silom entirely along with the 5-star hotel spas - a massage near where I live (which is still near train transport) only costs 150B/hr & is perfectly fine; but harder for tourists to find perhaps.

Who doesn't tip after a massage?

1) The girls get about 70-90 baht for an hour of massaging

2) They spent 12+ hours a day at work and apart from 3 or 4 hours when they have a customer - they only get paid when they have a customer

all they do is sit, it is phenomenally boring work

3) Then they have to massage sweaty people who have been walking around (without using baby powder!) all day!

4) Their income isn't secure, some days they don't get any customers and therefore make no money

... so tip!

Baby powder??? is that a euphamisim? or do you really cover yourself with baby powder before you start sweating? mmmm that must be lovely when it all congeals

Great topic Churchill, wonder how many people spend years in BKK without doing half of these?

(Topic was edited for forum use, was: Ten Things Every Aussie Should Do In Bangkok)

Me ive only done one of them and it wasnt my cup of tea ( I dont drink tea either) Temples zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

JJ market is too crowded, and 19 out of ever 20 stalls sells exactly the same junk. It's okay for a one time visit though.

I didn't see the King's place mentioned. It's also a place to visit once.

Wat Arun should be on everyone's list.

Long tail boat ride up the river with a stop at the King's barges is interesting

Even a non-participant should get a giggle with an evening visit to Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy. Just don't drink much or sample the goods.

Eating at the various street vendors is what I do everywhere in Thailand so that's nothing new.

The pay for play fishing parks are okay for a diversion, but it's not real fishing.

There are massage parlours all over Thailand. I prefer more personal treatment from someone special.

Although not really a Bangkok thing, I recommend a day trip to Ayutthaya by bus and back via the river.

I also enjoyed the reptile exhibit at the Bangkok zoo, but then I like snakes.

Not really for everybody, but I highly recommend:

1. Having dinner at the Patravadi Theatre. The students do dinner show (Studio 9 by River) to raise money for scholarships. It is hard to find but very enjoyable.

http://www.patravaditheatre.com/

2. Have drinks or even better dinner a top the State Tower. I think the restaurant is called Sirocco. The menu prices are high but the quality is even higher.

I can add one more. Buy a GPS and program where you hotel is located. Then, WALK across Bangkok. Start early in the morning and head in any direction. Take in the sights along the way and have no time schedule. Then, try and find your way back in the evening. Write down the name of your hotel on a piece of paper and get the clerk to write it in Thai as well. That way you can always take a taxi home.

1. Done it - too much MSG, etc

2. Done it - too many people

3. Not my scene

4. Done it

5. Not done

6. Done it

7. Done

8. Not done - too early

9. Done often

10. Done it

I thought... number 11. Visit the Eden Club. Not done it. :)

This is from one of those free sunday magazines isn't it? Poor effort...

1) How can you avoid that?

2) Okay, why not. China town is a good browse too.

3) Many places across Bkk, I prefer the bars / restaurants around Sirirat - great views too.

4) Crap, have such rubbish all over the world.

5) Come to Bkk and go fishing in a big overstocket pond?

6) Yep.

7) Yep. Can be done with 6, if you start early then see the Grand Palace too (maybe Siam museam) and short tuktuk ride.

8) ? Tesco aerobics is much more Bkk - we're not in Beijing...

9) I'd rather not watch lads in the park myself... Why not go to a proper game in a stadium / hall.

10) Whilst at 7.

As a couple of posters mentioned a river cruise / express boat is an excellent way to see any city (Wat Arun looks great from the river; hence why I goto the bars at sirirat you get some of the best Grand Palace and Wat Arun views).

As a day trip Bang Pa In (you can get the boat) is very nice.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Bang_Pa-In

Patravadi Theatre is a very nice location and evening too (on the river).

things to do in BKK never generates many replys. great restaurants , 5 star hotels, shopping ,temples but no harbor unlike many of the worlds great city's. Also theirs nothing really traditional here like the pubs in England or Broadway NYC, the hip and fabulous in Paris or the social scene in Melbourne however we are in the hub of some of the best hot spots in Asia, and incredibly we can be on a tropical island in a few hours for a few dollars should the need arise. Living here gives you so many options unavailable anywhere else in the world without a gold amex card<br>

11. Visit the slum district-- to see the true city you must find its dark core. Head directly south from the Emporium and don't stop until you hit the river. Then walk around that area in the dark. If you are not fearless, take some pepperspray.

12. Walk on the wild side-- be hunted by a ladyboy. Their unique modus operandi is to stare at you in a convenience store or other public area until you talk to them. You must make yourself young, handsome, and male to do this.

13. Walk on the wild side (:)-- be banshee screamed by a 'flock' of boys. A unique Thai cultural point. The young effeminate boys if someone tickles their fancy will if in a shoal, scream as you walk by. Thank them for their compliment. You must make yourself young, handsome, and male to do this.

14. Evoke 1950s England-- stand at the cinema for the Royal Anthem, an idea that Thailand took from England where it was common until the 1950s.

15. Observe an emergency. The fire on soi 14 Sukhumvit on Friday night allowed through incompetent policing an unusually close up view of a raging fire. In the cotton bud protected West, you could never get so close as to feel the flames and be sprayed with the hoses.

16. Visit a department store roof zoo-- pata zoo on top of pata department store has 3 urangutans, 1 gorilla, two lions, 13 bears and hundreds of monkeys.

17. Attend a Foreign Correspondence Club meeting-- Jesse Jackson was there the other day, were you? Why not?

18. Go to a shirt rally-- I took the opportunity to visit government house when it was rented out to the Yellow shirts. Thoroughly recommended.

19. Go to the old city of canals where all the roads are replaced by canals-- as an example, go to the Royal Barge Museum and then don't enter but instead veer in any direction

20. Go to criminal court-- go and watch a court case at the Central Criminal Court

(Bonus-- visit Arabtown, Japantown-- Arabtown is conveniently located opposite soi nana, Japantown isn't)

post-13-1250971557_thumb.jpgpost-13-1250971542_thumb.jpgpost-13-1250971530_thumb.jpgpost-13-1250971490_thumb.jpg

พิพิธภัณฑ์ช้างเอราวัณ

Must have been here a dozen times ...not to be missed......will be easier to get to when Soi Baring is finished :)

PLACE: The Erawan Museum (chang erawan)

OPENING HOURS: 8 a.m.-6 p.m.

ADMISSION: 150 baht for adults, 50 baht for children. 50 baht baht for visiting the grounds only.

Thai people same price.

As you drive into Samut Prakan Province from Bangkok, you can't help but notice the giant three-headed elephant alongside Sukhumwit Road.

This is the Erawan Museum contained within the world's largest elephant. The height is about 50 metres or 15 storeys high.

The five storey museum inside the elephant contains antiquities.

The Erawan Museum is owned by the same ompany as Ancient Siam. You can join tours that go every half an hour. This starts in the base of the pedestal which is a kind of museum of antiquities.

Then you go up inside right up to the belly of the elephant. Make sure that you check out the small window that gives you fine views of the surrounding area.

Getting there: Bus no. 25, 142, 365 and air-con bus 102, 507, 511, 536. A taxi from On Nut Sky Train station won't cost more than 100 baht and will take about 35 minutes. :D

Thai people use baby powder, I use baby powder. Do you think we all walk around covered in talc-dough?

No. 12...Start using deoderant. Thai people use baby powder, I use deoderant.

Are you kidding? Thai people ... especially the women ... are very hygienic and very seldom have offensive body odor. So, baby powder or deodorant .... who cares???