Best Kind Of Bike For Phuket

lowprofile

Not so many years ago there were only a few types of bike available in Phuket - I'm talking about the stepthru's here, not the bigbikes. I've always prefered the Hondas over the Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki varieties. The Dream seemed to be the bike of choice for most but then along came the Wave and it looked a lot sleeker so I bought one of those and it has been a great bike, too. A 110 cc and then a 125cc came out, electric starter, disc brake - fantastic, and still go all day and more on a full tank.

You see them all over asia getting used for all sorts of purposes, I saw one a few days ago in Vietnam. The bloke had a fridge freezer standing upright on the back with some straps around his shoulders wearing it like a back pack, a few minutes later I saw his mate doing the same with a washing machine on the back. Extended family, couple of pigs in cages, no problem! Now call me a liar but you just can not do that on a Ducati.

The last few years have seen an influx of auto's, and scooter types. I notice the girls like this type because it offers a better seating position for them to keep their modesty intact - no flashing their knickers because of the higher center frame. I can understand that and approve.

But for us blokes I reckon the Wave is the way to go. Mine is pretty fast, faster than most - it is a red one you see and everyone knows they go faster, don't they?

What colour is yours?

LP :)

looking at buying a scooter - Waves seem Ok have been renting scoots as required till now; any suggestions on where to buy second-hand thru a dealer, am reluctant to buy thru local adverts/private? Am in Chalong, anywhere within Phuket ok

cheers

The OP did say 'for local conditions'

The reason bikes like the Honda Wave and its various derivatives are so popular, is that they are a perfect bike for local conditions!

1. No clutch - so you can change gear and still ride the bike one-handed. I.e smoking a cigarette or carrying large items, like say, a 12 inch fan, or a TV set.

2. Economical. Carefully driven, you gonna get 100mpg.

3. Not quick, but quick enough for 'local conditions'. Somchai on his 3 wheeler 'may' glance up when joining a main road, and if he does, he will be expecting other bikes to be pootling along. If you're on a big fast bike going fast, then he will mis-judge your speed because his brain isnt calibrated for big speed bikes.

4. I have driven a Honda Wave 125 over just about every paved road on the island. It never fails to get up hills. As a matter of fact, the power to weight ratio is similar to a small saloon car. Uphills, it will over take Tuk Tuks, anything by Daihatsu, old pick ups etc etc.

5. These are the big ones. If it breaks down, anyone can fix it. All parts are available, all the time, for very little money. 3 or 4 times i've had a puncture on the way to work, ridden slowly for less than a kilometre, had a new inner tube fitted, and been on my way in minutes and still not been late for work. Try THAT on an exotic bike ! LivinLOS what do you do about punctures on your blade?

6. Cost. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure and cheap to run. I got a new chain and sprockets fitted for about 300 baht. Try THAT on an exotic bike.

7. Shopping. Just wanna nip down to the 7/11 for half a dozen beers?. Put em in the basket or sling the bag over the handle bars. Can't do that on a sportsbike! Don't forget your rucksack!

8. Pretty bulletproof. As long as you dont thrash the tits off it, and change the oil every 4k kilometres, then they pretty much run forever. Few years ago i drove round chalong circle in the monsoon with the water just lapping under the seat, as the air filter is below the headlight, just keep the revs up and she will keep going!

9. Underseat storage is useful. Honda wave etc can caryy a couple of rain ponchos. Things like Airblades and you can stow your helmet under the seat.

Local bikes are like mountain goats. They will climb anything just about (paved) but they arent sexy!

hope this helps

I got a Suzuki 125 scooter for my GF from the main Suzuki dealer in Phuket Town.

3 months old

3000 klms on the clock

1 previous owner

22k Baht.

It's fine for her to get around locally.All depends what you want it for

thats a pretty good price!

were is the main Suzuki dealer located in Phuket town?

My Wave 125i has just turned 40,000 kms and still drives like new...had chain/sprocket changed at 20,000 and oil changes every 1,500 but the best buy ever I reckon...befor I had the pick up I moved everything including a washing machine on the bike...the autos just dont cut t with me...even buying a barrel of water is almost impossible on an auto as it dosnt fit anywhere, the wave it fits neatly between the legs...

I got a Suzuki 125 scooter for my GF from the main Suzuki dealer in Phuket Town.

3 months old

3000 klms on the clock

1 previous owner

22k Baht.

It's fine for her to get around locally.All depends what you want it for

thats a pretty good price!

were is the main Suzuki dealer located in Phuket town?

On the intersection of Poonpon Road and Kra Road.Coming from Phuket Town it is the main intersection just before the Land Transport office

Bike with decent engine, good brakes, comfy seat, nice shiney chrome....O, and a BIG frame onto which you weld a steel girder that goes all the way round. Steel mesh cage for the rider. Now you might feel a little bit safer on these nutter roads with dopes at every wheel/handlebar.... :)

What's big red and throbs between your legs????

A Honda wave.....