Chiang Mai Goose Of The Week

bloody tiger

Tuesday afternoon, around 3PM, I was heading into town on the Chiang mai/ Sankampang Rd when I came up to a farang motorcyclist riding at about 30km/h in the middle of the lane and also with some erratic weaving a few metres to either side. I thought this guy seemed to be quite wasted from the way he was riding. As there was quite a bit of traffic in the opposite direction I ended up stuck behind him for about a 1/4 of a mile (400metres in new speak...new for me anyway!).

I know we all strike this sort of annoying situation on a regular basis here, but I was a little extra peeved as it was a farang. Anyhow, eventually I had the chance to overtake and then viewing in my rearview mirror I could see the reason for his riding style.....HE WAS TEXTING.......................YES TEXTING.....................shortly i came up to the intesection on the 2nd ring road and as i was first at the lights he pulled up alongside.........oblivious to the rest of the world, he continued to text whilst occasionaly he glanced up at the traffic lights..... I had just missed the green when I arrived, so we were there for almost the full 120 seconds....during this time he continued to text and when the light turned green i moved off.... i noticed that he stopped texting for the few seconds to cross the intersection and then continued texting once through it..............i moved ahead and onward and was already thinking that this guy was most definately a prime candidate for the Chiang Mai GOOSE OF THE WEEK award.............BTW...wearing a helmet....negative.....lights switched on.....negative

We all see some Thai drivers doing thier thing....maybe you can share some experiences with idiot farang drivers

bloody tiger, I missed that spectacle by about 45 minutes. But coming around the very busy moat as school dismissed, I was lost in a mist of light blue Lanna costumes (school kids) and countless Thai sicko-psycho motosai mommas babbling away on the mobi' whilst motoring. Jeesh, it takes two hands and two feet to move my moto. It was almost enough to make me lose my mo-jo.

On 2nd thought, you should've got out of your vehicle at the traffic lights, grabbed his mobile phone, thrown it to the ground and jumped on it, after that you should have grabbed him by the throat and whilst yelling obscenities at him, beat the living crap out of him.

Well, that's what would've happened in another world but it didn't this time. Live with it.

Unsafe texting can lead to embarrassing accidents, like walking into lamp posts. So, as a public service, I'm pleased to publish the following Q&A:

Q:

What is texting and how can I safely 'do it?'

A:

Texting is an activity to help you release your 'urge to converse', as they say. Follow these rules to enjoy safe texting:

First, make sure you are alone, as it might be considered rude to 'do it' while in company.

Next, make sure your hands are clean and your instrument is properly sleeved—you don't want things to get sticky.

Now think of something pleasant, because, as I always say, if you can't text something nice, don't text at all.

You don't have to worry about having anything witty to say, and you certainly don't have to worry about bad breath or smelly armpits, because, let's face, you're just texting.

Remember: keep it short, keep it simple, and wash your hands afterwards.

Happy texting!

Tuesday afternoon, around 3PM, I was heading into town on the Chiang mai/ Sankampang Rd when I came up to a farang motorcyclist riding at about 30km/h in the middle of the lane and also with some erratic weaving a few metres to either side. I thought this guy seemed to be quite wasted from the way he was riding. As there was quite a bit of traffic in the opposite direction I ended up stuck behind him for about a 1/4 of a mile (400metres in new speak...new for me anyway!).

I know we all strike this sort of annoying situation on a regular basis here, but I was a little extra peeved as it was a farang. Anyhow, eventually I had the chance to overtake and then viewing in my rearview mirror I could see the reason for his riding style.....HE WAS TEXTING.......................YES TEXTING.....................shortly i came up to the intesection on the 2nd ring road and as i was first at the lights he pulled up alongside.........oblivious to the rest of the world, he continued to text whilst occasionaly he glanced up at the traffic lights..... I had just missed the green when I arrived, so we were there for almost the full 120 seconds....during this time he continued to text and when the light turned green i moved off.... i noticed that he stopped texting for the few seconds to cross the intersection and then continued texting once through it..............i moved ahead and onward and was already thinking that this guy was most definately a prime candidate for the Chiang Mai GOOSE OF THE WEEK award.............BTW...wearing a helmet....negative.....lights switched on.....negative

We all see some Thai drivers doing thier thing....maybe you can share some experiences with idiot farang drivers

dam_n~ i was hoping you were going to post a photo of the above mentioned GOOSE, the photo taken of course with your phone whilst overtaking him, hehe :)

Well, at least on a bike it's usually just the rider that gets hurt in a self caused accident. In a car or truck they kill someone else instead. People in BC, Canada, very frequently text on their cell phones while driving. There should be an automatic $500 fine for doing so, but it's almost impossible to enforce.

On 2nd thought, you should've got out of your vehicle at the traffic lights, grabbed his mobile phone, thrown it to the ground and jumped on it, after that you should have grabbed him by the throat and whilst yelling obscenities at him, beat the living crap out of him.

Well, that's what would've happened in another world but it didn't this time. Live with it.

Change ANOTHER to PERFECT

Naughty..naughty..farang road rage

Naughty..naughty..farang road rage

I've often thought if there was road rage in Thailand like there is in California the population of Thailand would be seriously threatened. I'm constantly amazed at what Thais accept as normal behaviour.

If I might be permitted another nominee..the guy about 25 yo riding pillion on his mate's bike that stopped on Moon Muang soi 6 just up from the Somphet Market, who fell flat on his face trying to get off the bike, and then crawled into a nearby cafe/travel agency...not bad for 10am. Couldn't guess the nationality (German maybe) as he was speaking in tongues..

The guy is obviously a <deleted> idiot not only for holding up traffic but for taking a tremendous risk texting on a motorbike. You only get one mistake on a bike and texting can just make it happen a lot quicker.

Absolutely right. Imagine the possibility of typos. Unforgivable!!!

Edited by KevinHunt

not this week so shoot me now .

this truck often parks at the same place on the moat every day to suck water out of the moat and it has two cones in the road behind it

about three weeks ago some poor bugger on this scooter ran straight into the back of it ..... ouch nasty !

ill bet that hurt : ( .... dave2

not this week so shoot me now .

this truck often parks at the same place on the moat every day to suck water out of the moat and it has two cones in the road behind it

about three weeks ago some poor bugger on this scooter ran straight into the back of it ..... ouch nasty !

ill bet that hurt : ( .... dave2

dave.....