U.s. Army Contractor Demobing To Thailand

I currently work for a U.S. defense contractor in the Middle East. I'm planning on Demobing, but rather than going back to my point of origin, I'm coming to Thailand for an extended R&R. My current employer will purchase a one-way ticket to Thailand, no problem, but when I get to Thailand do I have to show proof of onward travel? I expect to be there for a month, possibly two. My new employer will then be flying me out for orientation at company headquarters and then it's off to the next conflict. If I do have to show proof of onward travel, does it have to be within any particular time frame and can it be to any destination I choose? If necessary, do you suppose I could get a ticket to someplace nearby, say HK or where ever, just so I can show proof of onward travel? Thanks for the assist.

I currently work for a U.S. defense contractor in the Middle East. I'm planning on Demobing, but rather than going back to my point of origin, I'm coming to Thailand for an extended R&R. My current employer will purchase a one-way ticket to Thailand, no problem, but when I get to Thailand do I have to show proof of onward travel? I expect to be there for a month, possibly two. My new employer will then be flying me out for orientation at company headquarters and then it's off to the next conflict. If I do have to show proof of onward travel, does it have to be within any particular time frame and can it be to any destination I choose? If necessary, do you suppose I could get a ticket to someplace nearby, say HK or where ever, just so I can show proof of onward travel? Thanks for the assist.

I have never been asked for an onward ticket in 25 years but probably someone has.

It depends on if you come with a visa or not. if you arrive without a visa, you will need to show proof of unward travel in the form of an air ticket out of the country within 30 day.

Immigration almost never check this, but instead leaves it up to the airline to check if you have a ticket out. Some airlines don't check, others are very strict and will refuse you boarding. A cheap single ticket to another country would do the trick.

Yes you are suppose to have proof of onward travel if you are coming here on a 30 day visa waiver, somebody else stated it was at the discretion of the immigration offical....not strictly true..in fact the airline concerned could stop you getting on the flight...

Simplest ways:

1. Get a return ticket

2. Get a proper visa

Go to airasia.com and check fares to KL for a one way ticket. I think you find them the cheapest. Buy the ticket dated a day or two before you think your 30 day stay will be ending and use it for a border run by getting a return for the same day and get another 30 day entry if you need more time here.

When you enter Malaysia you will get a free 90 entry so there is no cost for a visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

I have never been asked for an onward ticket in 25 years but probably someone has.

Here is a post where somebody was asked for a onward ticket twice. The 2nd time cost him 30K baht.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2958388

As said immigration does not ask it is the airlines than can and will ask for a return or onward ticket.

It depends on if you come with a visa or not. if you arrive without a visa, you will need to show proof of unward travel in the form of an air ticket out of the country within 30 day.

Immigration almost never check this, but instead leaves it up to the airline to check if you have a ticket out. Some airlines don't check, others are very strict and will refuse you boarding. A cheap single ticket to another country would do the trick.

By all means get a cheap refundable ticket to somewhere like Singapore.

Qantas, on flight from Melbourne to Bangkok would not board me because no onward ticket from Bangkok so I bought a refundable one way ticket at Melbourne airport for flight from Bangkok to Singapore and upon arrival in Bangkok canceled and received refund minus small cancel fee.

Easy: get a Tourist visa from the Thai embassy/consulate wherever you are now. If that's a problem, don't fly to BKK, fly to Malaysia or Singapore and get the visa for Thailand there, then hop on a cheap flight to Thailand. If you do this, make sure you don't arrive in the middle of any Thai or local holidays cuz the embassy/consulate be shut.

A single-entry Tourist visa lets you stay in Thailand for 60 days. If you have any intention of visiting neighbouring countries while you are in Thailand, get a multiple entry visa or you'll have to mess around with re-entry permits.

Don't fart about with worrying about onward travel and all that if you can do it properly in the first place.

Hope that helps.

just put any flight number to cambodia on departure card they never check but if they do just tell em your travell agent must have stuffed up, go back inside to any of the airline counters and buy a $70 ticket. But it never happens

You do not have a problem with departure card - you fill that out when you are ready to leave not before you arrive - the problem is getting on the aircraft and for that some airlines will require proof of onward travel within the allowed visa exempt period.

I probably work for the same company that you do and did what you're asking about last year. I chose to fly to Thailand rather than return to my point of origin. I actually have a family and home in Thailand. I stayed on a visitor's visa initially and then later I flew to Vientenne, LAOs and picked up a Non O visa, I stayed a total of 6 months in Thailand, before returning to the US and ultimately back to work in Iraq. I was never asked about another ticket anywhere at any time. I bought a one way ticket to the US when I left.

Good Luck and Enjoy!!! I did, and will do it again when I finish this year...

contact me for contact point for demining in Thailand and what he has to do.

It is not immigration who will give you a hard time, it is the airline when you check in.

If you plan to use the 30day Visa Exemption scheme, then you need an onward ticket.

If you have a Tourist Visa, good for 60 day, plus a possible 30 day extension then there is no need for

an onward ticket.

For demining you may do better in Cambodia.

I have been flying in from Dubai every 2 months for the last 4 years on a 30 day visa on arrival for 90% of that time. Never once did the airlines or immigration once ask me for proof of a return ticket. I never had one in any case.

Airlines include Emirates, Thai Airways, Royal Jordanian, Qatar, and Gulf Air when I flew from Kuwait.

Only been asked once for a onward ticket when I was embarking at BKK to Dubai as my ticket ended in Dubai. They just wanted to check where I was going after that. Told them Baghdad and once they checked with a supervisor, it was all OK.

I left Iraq and had a one way ticket to Thailand and stayed for 90 days and never had a problem. Have a good time on R&R and be careful when you get back in the sandbox.

All the best,

skullyman2727

Hey there, I have done the same thing 3 times (2 times Afg. 1 time Iraq) and never had a problem with Thailand. I changed my point of origin 2 times from U.S. too Thailand. It is actually better when travel does it so you don't have to deal with the idiots in Dubai trying to make you buy a return ticket, the one time I didn't, just went and bought a ticket, the Dubai ppl made the fuss :) , never the Thais. The only problem now is that on a border run you only get 15 days, I was told by Immigration police you may do this a couple of time. Then they start sending reports to BKK. Any way if you are only gonna be 2 months no problem. 30 days airport stay and 2 border jumps. 60 days! Who u going to go back to work for as I am looking to get back. Let me know.

contact me for contact point for demining in Thailand and what he has to do.

Would you give me info on deming in south east asia, did the middle east thing 4 plus years. would be nice to find something (local)

Hey there, I have done the same thing 3 times (2 times Afg. 1 time Iraq) and never had a problem with Thailand. I changed my point of origin 2 times from U.S. too Thailand. It is actually better when travel does it so you don't have to deal with the idiots in Dubai trying to make you buy a return ticket, the one time I didn't, just went and bought a ticket, the Dubai ppl made the fuss :) , never the Thais. The only problem now is that on a border run you only get 15 days, I was told by Immigration police you may do this a couple of time. Then they start sending reports to BKK. Any way if you are only gonna be 2 months no problem. 30 days airport stay and 2 border jumps. 60 days! Who u going to go back to work for as I am looking to get back. Let me know.

Maybe a silly question but why don't you just get a tourist visum??? You can stay 2 months ...

Saves money as well...

No idea if there is a Thai consul in Iraq but otherwise there likely is one somewhere close to you... Also doesn't your employer has people who arrange all the required paperwork???

Finally leaving KBR? :) Only folks that heavily use the word "demobing" LOL

You can change P-O-O to Thailand, just tell them in Dubai or Kuwait (wherever KBR is making you go) that you will get a visa on arrival and as long as you have an American passport no one should argue with you, I've done it twice (no 3rd time for me, done with the KBR BS)

The airline indeed will be the ones deciding at the counter. Having a Visa works well with some. I bought a 1 way business class return ticket to satisfy them, then after months of being here, got it refunded by simply making a Skype call to their office. Normal procedure for all of them. travel agent will know exactly what you are doing and facilitate it even more by being hip to which carrier's willing to sell you a floating business class ticket cheapest.

Business class tickets cost more, but are always refundable with no penalty fees. Things may have changed for some of them, but it's how those ticket types operate. It's also excellent because it's only 300-600 more than coach class, and an excellent insurance policy on your travels in general, leaves options open and dials in the visa thing quite well.

I used Korean Airlines 1 way here and Chinese airline for 'return ticket' back to USA.

You can get the ticket refunded anytime you want, it takes about 3 weeks or more for it to post to your account as it clears it's way through the muck.

Make sure as Lopburi says about dates of tickets 'onward' matching dates of the 'business class return' ticket. I did this a Korean Air was fine, -I even had a visa and they still checked.

Visa on Arrival is not so much fun because it's so limited as described above, a normal Tourist Visa will give you 60 days + 30 more added via stamp at immigration office and fee of 1,900 baht (50-60 bucks). You can get them expedited almost overnight with some of the good US firms, but in the field this 'option' may not be viable.

SP4@1-178th Infantry HHC Combat Medics / Cold Steel Lives On

Spies inhabit this forum, don't peep them to your ops.