Cornish Pasties In Pattaya

syd barrett

Many many years ago that's how they used to make them for the miners, a complete meal with a big crust down the middle to hold with your dirty hands and discard afterwards. Pretty clever really.

I think that the crust in the middle was meant to be disgarded after consumption by Cornish Tin Miners because the residue of tin-rich ore (on the miners hands) if ingested caused suicidal depression and madness.

I have been buying my 'Yorkies' Cornish Pasties from Friendship Supermarket. At 79 Baht they represent reasonable value for money because they are large and filling, but I feel that they lack proper seasoning (salt/pepper/herbs/spices).

Can anyone recommend an alternative Cornish Pasty in Pattaya?

Photo: An Example of a 'Yorkies'Cornish Pasty'.

Ok, Pasty People-

I'm an American, but I always wanted to try a Cornish Pasty. It wasn't until last year that I had my first pasty- from Yorkies. Yuk. Waaaaaaaaay too much dough, I'd guess about 65% to 35% filling (which tasted ok). But that dry fact overshadowed the entire experience for me. Normally, I really go for things like calzones, burritos, curry puffs, and other stuff like that...

So, now, with all this forum talk on the Cornish pasty subject, you got me wanting (a good) one more than ever! So, I figure I'll ask a question: Where am I gonna find one of these that has an opposite ratio of dough-to-filling to Yorkies? Ie: a delicious one. (With fruit, not essential.) Also, my apologies to Yorkies about the pasty review. Maybe it's me. I have had some very good bacon and burgers from their meat shop. They seem to be good, hard-working people. Love their slogan, "Pleased to meet you & Meat to please you!" Beautiful...

• 1 month later...
I have been buying my 'Yorkies' Cornish Pasties from Friendship Supermarket. At 79 Baht they represent reasonable value for money because they are large and filling, but I feel that they lack proper seasoning (salt/pepper/herbs/spices).

Ok, Pasty People-

I'm an American, but I always wanted to try a Cornish Pasty. It wasn't until last year that I had my first pasty- from Yorkies. Yuk. Waaaaaaaaay too much dough, I'd guess about 65% to 35% filling (which tasted ok)

I agree, the Yorkies Cornish pasty is generally tasty (but lacks some seasoning) but more importantly is very dough-fat heavy.

I would appreciate any alternative suggestions of where I might buy a 'quality Cornish Pasty'. Thanks. :)

Fresh Baked! You don't trust a Yank to tell you?

Hate to agree with a Yank on something as important as Cornish Pasties but yes Fresh Baked, Jomtien are very good. They also do good pies and an excellent sunday roast for 199 Baht including a soft drink or Tea/Coffee.

Edited by gmac

Talking with a Brit friend he tells me the true Cornish pasty is made in such a way that about two thirds of it is the meat and potato and last last third or quarter will be a dessert like apple or cherry filling.
True, that is the original Cornish receipe,.it was designed to be 2 cources in one !,however in more recent years it has been just a main course of meat/potatoe and various other ingrdients depending whos made it, iver dewdney in plymouth devon make the best, ( personal choice )

Are American pasties better than British ones?
Mexicans have them as well, but called burritos !,. :)

Not even closely similar. However Argentinian empenadas (savory or sweet) are rather like pasties, though smaller. Smaller is good because then you can eat more of them for variety!

post-37101-1254147606_thumb.jpgArgie empenadas

BTW, I have heard that some US regions have pasties because of the immigration history, but I never once myself came across an American pastie (though I am sure some British restaurants carry them but that doesn't count).

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

Pasties

A basic recipe from which you can make your own. Use different types of mince and vegetables

depending on what you have on hand. Make different sizes depending on the age of those who will eat them.

Ingredients

250g lamb mince

1 onion, peeled and diced

1 potato, peeled and diced

1/2 carrot, peeled and diced

1/2 turnip, peeled and diced

1 tsp salt

freshly ground pepper

1 tbsp chopped parsley

4 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry

1 egg, beaten

Method

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Combine lamb, vegetables, salt, pepper and parsley.

Cut pastry into 4 circles. You can use a saucer as a guide.

Place a quarter of the mixture into the middle of each pastry round. Brush pastry edges with egg wash,

fold edges together, joining in the middle. Pinch the edges together to seal well.

Place on a lined oven tray and glaze with remaining egg wash.

Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 180 degrees and continue to cook for 35 minutes.

Serve hot with homemade chutney or tomato sauce.

Serves 4.

Pasties

A basic recipe from which you can make your own. Use different types of mince and vegetables

depending on what you have on hand. Make different sizes depending on the age of those who will eat them.

Ingredients

250g lamb mince

1 tsp salt

freshly ground pepper

1 tbsp chopped parsley

1 egg, beaten

Method

Place a quarter of the mixture into the middle of each pastry round. Brush pastry edges with egg wash,

fold edges together, joining in the middle. Pinch the edges together to seal well.

Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 180 degrees and continue to cook for 35 minutes.

Serves 4.

Sorry saw the first line of your ingredients and knew it was a fake. Real Cornish Pasties are made with beef skirt, I am afraid this is not open to discussion yours may be some form of pastie but not a Cornish one.

Pasties

Ingredients

250g lamb mince

1 tsp salt

freshly ground pepper

1 tbsp chopped parsley

1 egg, beaten

Method

Serves 4.

Sorry saw the first line of your ingredients and knew it was a fake. Real Cornish Pasties are made with beef skirt, I am afraid this is not open to discussion yours may be some form of pastie but not a Cornish one.

:)

Pattaya people, please phut practically. Put-off this painfully palpable Pastie Panic!

Plainly, these are perfectly presentable pasties. Perhaps & probably not pure, picture-perfect, pasties... ok. But, probably pretty passable. Possibly, and you must admit plausibly, there is a percent of the population who presently prefer plain, possibly pedestrian (yet perfectly presentable) pasties like these... putting it plainly. No pity. And, no punitive action need be proposed presently.

Again I say: People of Pattaya, let's all please practice what we preach: patience. Let's put away our petty pastie predjudices and put off this Pastie Panic of 2009. Putting it purely, plainly and practically- there exists no palpable Pastie Problem in Pattaya... at present.

"There are no fakes, only fakers..."

M. Ghandi

:D