Cornish Pasties In Pattaya

syd barrett

I have been buying my 'Yorkies' Cornish Pasties from Friendship Supermarket. At 79 Baht they represent reasonable value for money because they are large and filling, but I feel that they lack proper seasoning (salt/pepper/herbs/spices).

Can anyone recommend an alternative Cornish Pasty in Pattaya?

Photo: An Example of a 'Yorkies'Cornish Pasty'.

post-4408-1250960497_thumb.jpg

I have been buying my 'Yorkies' Cornish Pasties from Friendship Supermarket. At 79 Baht they represent reasonable value for money because they are large and filling, but I feel that they lack proper seasoning (salt/pepper/herbs/spices).

Can anyone recommend an alternative Cornish Pasty in Pattaya?

Photo: An Example of a 'Yorkies'Cornish Pasty'.

I,d be willing to do several hard days labour to get my hands on a pasty like that here in Korat.

Ohh Mrs.

Have you tried Simple Simons in Jomtien ?

Edited by soihok

Try Fresh Baked in Jomtien.

To find, go to Ace Cafe from Thapraya (near the Hanuman Statue) and turn left down the road towards View Talay Residences. Its in the strip mall immediately on your right ...

http://www.ace-cafe-thailand.com/Map.html

To be clear I am suggesting a business called Fresh Baked, not Ace Cafe.

Edited by Jingthing

Wish you all the best on that quest Syd, i have tried all the Cornish Pasties i have come across in Pattaya over the years and still come back to the Yorkies variety, packed full of filling like none other, and i like the pastry. :)

Sorry but as a Cornishman I have to inform you that you will not find a good pasty in Pattaya. I have searched for one for the last 4 years, to no avail.

I am currently in negotiations with Ivor Dewdney for distribution rights in Asia, I will let you know how it pans out.

Old Plymouth Argyle joke - they have a new keeper, Ivor Dewdney, you won't get nothing past he (pasty in Janner dialect) :)

Sorry but as a Cornishman I have to inform you that you will not find a good pasty in Pattaya. I have searched for one for the last 4 years, to no avail.

I am currently in negotiations with Ivor Dewdney for distribution rights in Asia, I will let you know how it pans out.

Old Plymouth Argyle joke - they have a new keeper, Ivor Dewdney, you won't get nothing past he (pasty in Janner dialect) :)

I agree so now my wife makes them. 10 times better than yorkies

Well im a foreigner ( Devon :D ) and the guy that owns the rendavous rest/bar out on the lake on siam country road is from St Austell, and makes pasties and pies,and very nice they are too , but being a foreigner im NOT a pastie expert :D first time out there his thai wife walked up to us and said " ALRIGHT " (local westcountry alternative for " how are you " ) :D:D Edited by SMEEERE

Do you deliver ! ? :D

Well im a foreigner ( Devon :D ) and the guy that owns the rendavous rest/bar out on the lake on siam country road is from St Austell, and makes pasties and pies,and very nice they are too , but being a foreigner im NOT a pastie expert :) first time out there his thai wife walked up to us and said " ALRIGHT " (local westcountry alternative for " how are you " ) :D:D

Alryte me ansome.

Could you tell us where exactly the rendavous (rendezvous?) bar is? If there is a proper cornishman making proper pasties I need to check it out. Can you buy them uncooked to take home as well?

Hungry now :D

Well im a foreigner ( Devon :D ) and the guy that owns the rendavous rest/bar out on the lake on siam country road is from St Austell, and makes pasties and pies,and very nice they are too , but being a foreigner im NOT a pastie expert :) first time out there his thai wife walked up to us and said " ALRIGHT " (local westcountry alternative for " how are you " ) :D:D

Alryte me ansome.

Could you tell us where exactly the rendavous (rendezvous?) bar is? If there is a proper cornishman making proper pasties I need to check it out. Can you buy them uncooked to take home as well?

Hungry now :D

Yes is called the rendezvous,.go along siam country road til you come to the start of the lake on your left, there are a few open type bars and restaurants on the right, there is a sign up, its before the peacock,sorry i cant be more precise, he also sells pies,,,and he also does a mean sausage, go out for a drink he often brings out free samples,its quite a nice set up :D

Do you deliver ! ? :D

No only for the 2 of us

I am from London but we eat Cornish Pasties. I've had a couple from the mobile bakery which plies its trade round the streets and they were very passable indeed. At 90 baht they were not cheap but well filled and tasty.

Big pastry envelope, filled with cooked veg and the occasional bit of meat

Legend has it that the were taken down the Cornish tin mines by the Conish miners - complete meal - meat and veg at one end - dessert at the other.

Gawd knows how they tasted in the middle.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Big pastry envelope, filled with cooked veg and the occasional bit of meat

Legend has it that the were taken down the Cornish tin mines by the Conish miners - complete meal - meat and veg at one end - dessert at the other.

Gawd knows how they tasted in the middle.

Legend is right! Then Cornish migrated to the USA and especially the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where their mining skills were needed. They started sharing their lunch pasties with the locals, many of which were Finns. These Copper Country Finns took off with the recipe and today you can find numerous little pasty stalls where you can drive up and buy a pasties.

Here's a link to a recipe I posted last week on another thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Home-Pie-Nee...57#entry2947457

My heritage is from the UP of Michigan and my mother made the best pasties anywhere. But I guess that's a prejudiced view. Her pasties were as big as a large dinner plate and had plenty of potato, beef (not ground beef) and onion and rutabaga(a turnip) When she was a young girl she made them for the copper miners in the family and boarding house to take in the lunch pail down the mine. They would stay warm until lunch time.

I really miss those tasty pasties and talking about them makes the mouth water. I have had Yorkies and just not the same.

My heritage is from the UP of Michigan and my mother made the best pasties anywhere. But I guess that's a prejudiced view. Her pasties were as big as a large dinner plate and had plenty of potato, beef (not ground beef) and onion and rutabaga(a turnip) When she was a young girl she made them for the copper miners in the family and boarding house to take in the lunch pail down the mine. They would stay warm until lunch time.

I really miss those tasty pasties and talking about them makes the mouth water. I have had Yorkies and just not the same.

LongBall.... I was born in Ontonagon. Right now we are negotiating on a new rental home that has an oven up here in CM. My mouth is watering about having the first pasty fest in the new kitchen! Nothing like them.....

Are American pasties better than British ones?

Had a Cornish pasty in a pub in London once and it was fantastic. The bartender said it was his own recipe though, so who knows if it was a genuine British pasty. I love the Copper Country pasties.... hard to improve on them. I think the calorie count is in the thousands with about 50 grams of fat though.... not the healthiest food unless you need a lot of energy to move rock.

Well im a foreigner ( Devon :D ) and the guy that owns the rendavous rest/bar out on the lake on siam country road is from St Austell, and makes pasties and pies,and very nice they are too , but being a foreigner im NOT a pastie expert :D first time out there his thai wife walked up to us and said " ALRIGHT " (local westcountry alternative for " how are you " ) :D:D

I'm from St. Austell. Do you know what the owner is called?

Always makes me laugh when i go into the Londoner in Bangkok as they have a sign on the wall advertising 'traditional Cornish pasties' made with lamb!!!! :D

LongBall.... I was born in Ontonagon. Right now we are negotiating on a new rental home that has an oven up here in CM. My mouth is watering about having the first pasty fest in the new kitchen! Nothing like them.....

Hey my family all were born in Calumet. Most worked for C & H mining back in their hayday. Mom made pasties for all the workmen in the house to take down the mines for lunch.

I was the only one in our family not born there as the family left during the depression years to make it in Milwaukee. But I was in Calumet most summers all my young life.

Check this site out:

Pasties

Hey my family all were born in Calumet. Most worked for C & H mining back in their hayday. Mom made pasties for all the workmen in the house to take down the mines for lunch.

I was the only one in our family not born there as the family left during the depression years to make it in Milwaukee. But I was in Calumet most summers all my young life.

Check this site out:

Pasties

Wow, small world! Calumet is the center of Copper Country pasties. The guy that put our first TV in had a shop up there, ham radio operator, cross country skier.... Trying to remember the name. I went to "Tech" so I spent a bit of time in Calumet. Here's a couple of videos on pasties.

(Pasty History on its side.)

(Pasty comparison)

So you can find pasties in the UK, in Pattaya, in the Copper Country, and in places in the west where there are mines like Butte Montana and Kellogg Idaho.

Talking with a Brit friend he tells me the true Cornish pasty is made in such a way that about two thirds of it is the meat and potato and last last third or quarter will be a dessert like apple or cherry filling.

I think he was pulling your leg, I have lived in the UK all my life and have never come across a CP with fruit in it.

Talking with a Brit friend he tells me the true Cornish pasty is made in such a way that about two thirds of it is the meat and potato and last last third or quarter will be a dessert like apple or cherry filling.

I think he was pulling your leg, I have lived in the UK all my life and have never come across a CP with fruit in it.

Many many years ago that's how they used to make them for the miners, a complete meal with a big crust down the middle to hold with your dirty hands and discard afterwards. Pretty clever really.

These days you won't find them like that though, but many small bakeries will do fruit pasties.