Pattaya By Day

Kerryd

There's a lot more to do around Pattaya than just beer bars, a-go-gos and massage parlours (not that there's anything wrong with those places !)

For example, Khao Keow zoo. OK, it's a little out of Pattaya, but makes a nice day trip.

For something different to do one day, I suggested to my landlady that we take all the munchkins from our building to the zoo. We decided we would go the following Sunday, departing at 09:00.

I forgot about "Thai" time of course, and we ended up leaving at 10:30. Little did I know that our little excursion would end up with 13 people in the car (7 adults and 6 ankle biters).

OK, so it's a little crowded, but bearable. I had already agreed to foot the cost of the trip and went prepared. Just before we got to the entrance to the zoo, a mad scramble broke out in the back. The 4 smallest rug rats disappeared ! This meant I only had to pay for the admission of 9 people, as the park staff didn't see the wee-uns hiding under the legs of the SIX people in the back seat.

The zoo itself is very large, to big to walk all the way around. Park the car and take one of the trolley buses. Later, back to the car and drive to a different part of the zoo and do some walking.

Not only were there lots of critters to gawk at, but they also had a bird show, and a troupe of performers from Africa putting on an exhibition. We almost lost one of the girls when the crowd poured out of the bird show. Funny how I seemed to be the only one concerned. Eventually we split up and went to find her. When she couldn't find us, she made her own way back to the car and was waiting for us. Not bad for an 8 year old.

When we finally got home, I totaled up the expenses for the day. It worked out to about 3,000 baht for everything (including gas for our "borrowed" car, and various sodas and ice creams at the park) ! Far less than I thought I would end up forking out. Turned out to be about a third of what I ended up paying at Nong Nooch the following week, with only 9 people in total.

There's a lot more to do around Pattaya than just beer bars, a-go-gos and massage parlours (not that there's anything wrong with those places !)

For example, Khao Keow zoo. OK, it's a little out of Pattaya, but makes a nice day trip.

For something different to do one day, I suggested to my landlady that we take all the munchkins from our building to the zoo. We decided we would go the following Sunday, departing at 09:00.

I forgot about "Thai" time of course, and we ended up leaving at 10:30. Little did I know that our little excursion would end up with 13 people in the car (7 adults and 6 ankle biters).

OK, so it's a little crowded, but bearable. I had already agreed to foot the cost of the trip and went prepared. Just before we got to the entrance to the zoo, a mad scramble broke out in the back. The 4 smallest rug rats disappeared ! This meant I only had to pay for the admission of 9 people, as the park staff didn't see the wee-uns hiding under the legs of the SIX people in the back seat.

The zoo itself is very large, to big to walk all the way around. Park the car and take one of the trolley buses. Later, back to the car and drive to a different part of the zoo and do some walking.

Not only were there lots of critters to gawk at, but they also had a bird show, and a troupe of performers from Africa putting on an exhibition. We almost lost one of the girls when the crowd poured out of the bird show. Funny how I seemed to be the only one concerned. Eventually we split up and went to find her. When she couldn't find us, she made her own way back to the car and was waiting for us. Not bad for an 8 year old.

When we finally got home, I totaled up the expenses for the day. It worked out to about 3,000 baht for everything (including gas for our "borrowed" car, and various sodas and ice creams at the park) ! Far less than I thought I would end up forking out. Turned out to be about  a third of what I ended up paying at Nong Nooch the following week, with only 9 people in total.

I think u need a good :o dowm soi yodsak!

When we finally got home, I totaled up the expenses for the day. It worked out to about 3,000 baht for everything (including gas for our "borrowed" car, and various sodas and ice creams at the park) ! Far less than I thought I would end up forking out. Turned out to be about  a third of what I ended up paying at Nong Nooch the following week, with only 9 people in total.

And yet another guy plugging the Victoria Inn.. :D:D

Khao Keow open zoo is indeed one of the well kept secrets of Pattaya. Everybody rush to the rip-off of the Tiger zoo and never make it further but the Khao Keow is a quarter of the price, four times bigger and a world better.

The next week, I took "the clan" to Nong Nooch. I hadn't been there since '98, didn't look like too much had changed over the previous 6 years.

Didn't have as many people this time, only 10 crammed into the car instead of 13. Ended up costing THREE times as much as the trip to Khao Keow though ! :o

Huge number of tour buses, especially in the early afternoon.

We went to buy tickets for the trolley bus. Nang was making the arrangements. When the ticket sellers saw that there was a Farang with the group, the price of ALL the tickets was increased to the "Farang" rate. Nang and her brother-in-law were somewhat upset. I wasn't bothered about paying a higher price for my ticket, but Nang and Num were choked that they were expected to pay the Farang price as well (even though I was paying for it all any ways). :D

Nice enough place to stroll around, but with sooo many tour buses, things like the elephant show and the cultural show were jam-packed. :D

A funny side note. Nang and I were feeding the monkeys in the cages. One little bugger didn't like the banana I was offering, and ripped the string bracelet off my wrist (the ones you get whenever you go to a temple). He (?) took that to the back of the cage and was playing with it, wouldn't even look at fruit we were offering.

It will probably be another 6 years before I set foot in that place again though.

Aaah - the Queen Vic - I remember it curry & food poisoning - I won't be back !

I think u need a good :D dowm soi yodsak!

...yeah when I went in there they quoted a meal with coffee included and when it came to paying the bill I was told that it was a printing error and the coffee had to be paid for separately........won`t be back :o

What really beats me is why would you go bother going all the way to Thailand to sit in an aircon english pub and eating a curry or mashy peas?

The only thing i can think of is cheap beer and of course pretty young females.

I think u need a good :D dowm soi yodsak!

...yeah when I went in there they quoted a meal with coffee included and when it came to paying the bill I was told that it was a printing error and the coffee had to be paid for separately........won`t be back :o

Just wondering but, apart from takin' your landlady to the zoo is there anything else to do in Pattaya during the day ?

Not really. So far, all I've found is:

Khao Keow Zoo

Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens

Crocodile Farm

Sri Racha Tiger Zoo

Mini Siam (needs alot of work though, looking dilapidated)

Bowling Alley (forgot the name)

Jomtien Beach

Ripley's Believe it or Not

Fishing Charters

Diving Schools

Elephant Rides

Numerous places along Sukhumvit road, heading towards Jomtien.

Pretty boring place, guess that's why soo many people go there ! :o

Just wondering but, apart from takin' your landlady to the zoo is there anything else to do in Pattaya during the day ?

Not really. So far, all I've found is:

Khao Keow Zoo

Crocodile Farm

Sri Racha Tiger Zoo

Jomtien Beach

Fishing Charters

Diving Schools

Elephant Rides

Numerous places along Sukhumvit road, heading towards Jomtien.

Pretty boring place, guess that's why soo many people go there ! :o

Also, in no particular order of preference:

Shooting

Paintball

Karting

Sky Diving

Pattaya Water Park

Coarse Fishing

Cinema

Pilot lessons

Submarine Trip

Ferry to Ko Lan

Golf

Bottle Museum

Edited by konangrit

Khao Keow Zoo

Crocodile Farm

Sri Racha Tiger Zoo

Jomtien Beach

Fishing Charters

Diving Schools

Elephant Rides

Shooting

Paintball

Karting

Sky Diving

Pattaya Water Park

Coarse Fishing

Cinema

Pilot lessons

Submarine Trip

Ferry to Ko Lan

Golf

Bottle Museum

How about:

Foot massages

Shopping

Snooker/pool/darts/ect.

Veterinarian lessons (to help cure all those sick buffalo in Isaan) ?

Yep, nothing to do all day but snooze in my air-conditioned apartment ! :o

Khao Keow Zoo

Crocodile Farm

Sri Racha Tiger Zoo

Jomtien Beach

Fishing Charters

Diving Schools

Elephant Rides

Shooting

Paintball 

Karting

Sky Diving

Pattaya Water Park

Coarse Fishing

Cinema

Pilot lessons

Submarine Trip

Ferry to Ko Lan

Golf

Bottle Museum

How about:

Foot massages

Shopping

Snooker/pool/darts/ect.

Veterinarian lessons (to help cure all those sick buffalo in Isaan) ?

Yep, nothing to do all day but snooze in my air-conditioned apartment !  :o

I'll give it a miss then.