Cant Connect To Wifi

zorro1

I have a toshiba quasmio laptop that works fine on Lan except it wont connect to my wifi modem. I have a second laptop that works fine on wifi around the house but since day one the toshiba has been plugged into LAN

What I have done to fix the problem so far

1. made sure wifi is turned on. thats confirmed both by the switch indicator glowing and my ConfigFee also shows the switch is turned on

2. bluetooth is turned off. This is done automatically using the Configfree , as soon as I unplug Lan it auto switches to wifi and disconnects bluetooth

3. I have disconnected firewall

4. wifi picks up all signals but will not connect to mine or any other

5. wifi is always showing disconnected even if I click repair it doesnt help

Im stumped, any advice appeciated

webfact

this is what it says

wierless not connected

X

not connected firewalled

intel ® pro/wireless 2200BG

another poster offered this advice on another forum re my problem

I am not a M$ user or even a Toshiba fan, but most wifi issues are all the same - it is not software specific, per se.

If ya seeing hot spots, but not connecting, uninstall the Toshiba wifi software and reboot - then use the XP - presumption here -

wifi software to connect.

M$, Intel etc, all do a fine job on their own - then some wonk comes along and replicates it all over again, and we get conflicts everywhere.

I suspect thats the issue ... ya might have to do this several times - the reboot part - no WEP/MAC to start with.

webfact

this is what it says

wierless not connected

X

not connected firewalled

I am not a M$ user or even a Toshiba fan, but most wifi issues are all the same - it is not software specific, per se.

If ya seeing hot spots, but not connecting, uninstall the Toshiba wifi software and reboot - then use the XP - presumption here -

M$, Intel etc, all do a fine job on their own - then some wonk comes along and replicates it all over again, and we get conflicts everywhere.

I suspect thats the issue ... ya might have to do this several times - the reboot part - no WEP/MAC to start with.

right click on your "non connected" wireless icon ---------> and go to this tab. Its TCP/IP. Please report your settings

post-327-1251076943_thumb.jpg

Edited by webfact

webfact

this is what it says

wierless not connected

X

not connected firewalled

right click on your "non connected" wireless icon ---------> and go to this tab. Its TCP/IP. Please report your settings

Its on auto and the fields are blank

webfact

this is what it says

wierless not connected

X

not connected firewalled

Its on auto and the fields are blank

check the same in your second laptop and report back

Do you own the wifi Access Point ( AP ) that you are trying to connect to ?

with your laptop can you see the AP's SSID when you do a scan for APs ?

what channel is the AP using ?

what sort of encryption is your AP using ?

does the AP filter wifi connection via MAC address ?

Edited by stumonster

Do you own the wifi Access Point ( AP ) that you are trying to connect to ?

with your laptop can you see the AP's SSID when you do a scan for APs ?

what channel is the AP using ?

what sort of encryption is your AP using ?

does the AP filter wifi connection via MAC address ?

sorry not that computer savy :) Yes I Own the AP

you would need to talk me through the other 3 steps

did it myself

and no haven't used it wi fi anywhere else however there a few that I could connect to that are unsecured where I am right now but the problem is that everything is switch on for wifi but when I right click and press repair or enable it wont switch on even though I can pick up signals every where around me including mine

but the problem is that everything is switch on for wifi but when I right click and press repair or enable it wont switch on even though I can pick up signals every where around me including mine

you are using the intel 2200bg whose cofig utility is Intel PRO/SET wireless , do you have the little upside down cone icon at the bottom right ?

when you right click on it do you see enable radio ticked and greyed out ?

yes when I click on connectivity doctor the on swith is greyed out and in the correct postion. Also wifi symbol is glowing on the lap top next to the on off swith so everything switched on.

The connectivity doctor shows a diagram which wont let me cut n paste

It says between the wireless access point and adapter the line status is disconnect.

adaptor*-------------X--------------#wirless access point

disconnect

can you attempt to connect to one of the other unsecured APs which you can see ?

I am trying to determine if the problem is at your laptop or your AP

Not sure what you mean, there are only4 available all for ethernet. Must be that laptop. My other laptop works wi fi just not the Toshiba. Never has from the very first day out of the box, think I will uninstal configree to make sure there isnt a problem there