Bangkok Bank Is Ridiculous!

I applied for internet banking last Friday and was told nothing about how long I should wait to get my activation code. This afternnon, after getting no such code, I called customer support and they said I have to wait a full 2 weeks! That's a silly amount of time to activate online banking, in my opinion. I got my K-Bank and Siam Commercial accounts up and running in a few hours after applying. Why can't Bangkok Bank do it too?

Then just out of curiosity I went to check out the log-in form and much to my surprise I found you MUST be using Internet Explorer 5.0 or better. That means no Firefox, Opera, Safari or any other (superior) browser! What kind of red-neck, two-bit, fly-by-night company is this?? BKK Bank can't freaking update a database in less than 2 weeks and can't design a secure site for anything but IE 5.0?!?!? Sadly for me, I'm a Mac user!

Honestly, I wouldn't be here complaining if I hadn't been recently forced to open an account to receive my salary. As it is now, if I want to pay my household bills, rent and truck loan online, I have to go to the busiest part of town during the busiest time of day (8:30 - 3:30, closed on Sat & Sun!) to withdraw MY money, drive to another part of town to a GOOD bank to deposit it. That's F'ing absurd! While I'm running around, I may as well drive to 5 or 6 places I have to go to pay bills any way.... Oh wait, because that's a waste of time and diesel!

RAWR!!!

PS - If they don't make me show five forms of ID, give DNA samples and go through a full colonoscopy, I will setup a monthly automatic transfer to my REAL bank account! It still burns me up that they'll take transfer fees and get their grubby little hands all over my king's portraits!

/rant

Hi, Daren

I don't know about Macs as I use a PC but Firefox has an add ons which allows a web page to be loaded as an Internet Explorer page.

I have found that there are quite a lot of sites that do not except Firefox, Opera, etc., so this add on is pretty useful.

These can be found through a search on the Firefox add on site.

Best luck,

Tiger.

Hi, Daren

I don't know about Macs as I use a PC but Firefox has an add ons which allows a web page to be loaded as an Internet Explorer page.

I have found that there are quite a lot of sites that do not except Firefox, Opera, etc., so this add on is pretty useful.

Best luck,

Tiger.

Thanks for your helpful post, Tiger. If it exists for Mac, that add-on would be helpful! Otherwise, I did find IE 5.2.3 (or something) still available for Mac on softpedia, and I hate myself for it, but I did install and it looks as if their site will work. Now I just have to wait 1.5 more weeks to use the dam_n thing!

grr

=======================

IE View and IE Tab are both unavailable for Mac. Looks like I'll be forced to deal with it if I want to use online banking at BKK Bank. What a pity.

Thanks for the link, Tywais. Before this, I would have a very hard imagining someone actually using IE 5.2.3... except as a joke.

Edited by Daren

The other option is to buy a second-hand PC from a run-down computer shop. Make sure it's running Windows 3.0 with a 57K dial-up modem. You should fit right in to BKK Bank's customer profile and your online banking problems will disappear! :)

The other option is to buy a second-hand PC from a run-down computer shop. Make sure it's running Windows 3.0 with a 57K dial-up modem. You should fit right in to BKK Bank's customer profile and your online banking problems will disappear! :)

I LOL'd!

Thanks for being funny... not demeaning! =D

The IE5 requirement is laughable, in a really unsurprising way :D

Years ago, when they just got started with SCB online banking, my username arrived in one of those see-thru-proof letter things (whatever you call them). Sadly the password for it didn't, even after a few days.

So I contacted SCB support about it and asked if they could send me a new one, which they promptly did - via plain ol' plain text email :)

I've never logged in so quick to change a password...

Incidentally, not even the flagship of Thai bank online services--SCB--is fully compatible with non-IE browsers. Lot's of hangups in Firefox. Fortunately, Firefox's IE tab page add-on works fine for me (for those non-Mac readers).

I am through internet banking with SCB (don't get me started here...), Kasikorn (not that bad), UOB (a sad excuse for interent banking) and eventually Bangkok Bank. BB is by far the best internet banking I ever had and it works fast and efficient.

The IE requirement is joke, I fully agree, but as others pointed out there are ways around it. I remember the helpdesk guy at BB saying "our customers do not use Linux..." :)

As it is now, if I want to pay my household bills, rent and truck loan online, I have to go to the busiest part of town during the busiest time of day (8:30 - 3:30, closed on Sat & Sun!) to withdraw MY money, drive to another part of town to a GOOD bank to deposit it. That's F'ing absurd!

I agree, that would be absurd.... why not just go to which ever ATM is convenient and transfer to your other Bank account. This can be done 24 hrs a day 7 days a week

Also, Banks in department stores are open late and on weekends...they also usually have all banks in the same building

Did OP receive an email with the User ID in it - this usually comes within one day and then the PIN comes 2-3 days later by snail mail.

My experience with BKK internet banking has been great. Just need to make sure all the accounts you want to access are loaded on, and have a thai phone number for one time passwords via SMS.

let us know when the PIN arrives...

Hi, Daren

Best luck,

Tiger.

These addons make use of IE and just open IE in a firefox tab thus cannot work for a Mac or Linux.

I tried to open an BKK Bank account with Internet banking, but after talking to the local manager he (inadvertently) convinced me kasikorn was a far better bank for all services.

I must call in and thank him someday :)

Opera does have the option built in to identify itself as FF or IE browser to the website you are browsing too. This should work then as a workaround as well.

But I sympathise with your rant though. :)

If running IE5 is your only option, there's no need to go buy a PC. Just install VMWare Fusion on your MAC. From there, you can install any OS on your MAC, namely Windows XP. The installation procedure is surprisingly simple.

www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Right now I have Window XP running in parallel with Safari. I can easily switch (Command - Tab) from one application to another. It works flawlessly. You can even use all of your peripherals (printer, USB ports, CD ROMS etc..) from the Windows XP session.

Voilà. Problem solved.

I use Bangkok Bank's online banking on a Mac, yes it is absurd to only support Internet Explorer these days, but it's so easy to get around it's not a hassle for me really when I need to use it. Out of the Thai banks online banking that I have used SCB, Kasikorn, Citibank and Bangkok Bank, I would say that BBs is the best of the lot, even with the IE only thing as I said it's such a minor thing to get around and the site works just fine in Safari regardless.

To enable User Agent switching in Safari to enable you to use BB's online banking, just launch Safari, open the Safari menu, go to Preferences, then go to the Advanced tab and tick 'Show Develop Menu in menu bar'. Then when you want to login to BB's online banking go to the newly visible Develop menu and choose User Agent and choose which version of IE you want to fake having then happily go ahead and login to the site without any issues.

Martin

Not one of the reactions names the Krung Thai Bank.

E-Banking works on all browsers, and the service is tops!

And what's more, everything can be arranged on internet!

Edited by hansnl

I applied for internet banking last Friday and was told nothing about how long I should wait to get my activation code. This afternnon, after getting no such code, I called customer support and they said I have to wait a full 2 weeks! That's a silly amount of time to activate online banking, in my opinion. I got my K-Bank and Siam Commercial accounts up and running in a few hours after applying. Why can't Bangkok Bank do it too?

Then just out of curiosity I went to check out the log-in form and much to my surprise I found you MUST be using Internet Explorer 5.0 or better. That means no Firefox, Opera, Safari or any other (superior) browser! What kind of red-neck, two-bit, fly-by-night company is this?? BKK Bank can't freaking update a database in less than 2 weeks and can't design a secure site for anything but IE 5.0?!?!? Sadly for me, I'm a Mac user!

Honestly, I wouldn't be here complaining if I hadn't been recently forced to open an account to receive my salary. As it is now, if I want to pay my household bills, rent and truck loan online, I have to go to the busiest part of town during the busiest time of day (8:30 - 3:30, closed on Sat & Sun!) to withdraw MY money, drive to another part of town to a GOOD bank to deposit it. That's F'ing absurd! While I'm running around, I may as well drive to 5 or 6 places I have to go to pay bills any way.... Oh wait, because that's a waste of time and diesel!

RAWR!!!

PS - If they don't make me show five forms of ID, give DNA samples and go through a full colonoscopy, I will setup a monthly automatic transfer to my REAL bank account! It still burns me up that they'll take transfer fees and get their grubby little hands all over my king's portraits!

/rant

Boy you're steamed up..enough to power the next train to Suvarnabhumi !

Did OP receive an email with the User ID in it - this usually comes within one day and then the PIN comes 2-3 days later by snail mail.

No PIN yet! In fact, that's one of the frustrating things about this whole situation. Customer service on the phone said I have to wait 2 weeks for my username! Who knows how long it'll be if my PIN comes by snail mail?!?

I'm glad I did post this rant though, several good tips here for any BB user! I think I'll try Opera's emulator, then the Safari method mjperry describes.

Thanks for your tips, all!

I also use Bangkok Bank online and have no problems, but then I use IE. If the OP doesn’t want to use one of the ways that have been mentioned here to not use IE, then he can do a transfer at any ATM from his BKK account to any other Thai bank. He can also pay all the bills he mentioned at the ATM as well. He can also do all that with his mobile phone.

But then, maybe he just wants to complain and we should let him continue in his misery.

:)

TH

Hi.

@Op

Do you have a work permit and gave them a copy? If not it could happen to you what happened to me....... i also wanted online banking on my BB account so i went to a branch in walking distance from my place, filled in a dozen or so papers, had my passport copied no less than three times (all pages requiring a signature), had to go home to get my passbook to photocopy it, too (!) and then the paperwork was sent off with the same promise "you will receive a letter within two weeks time".

After four weeks still no letter so i went back, they made a bunch of phone calls and it was determined that i had to do the whole procedure all over - at the branch where my account was originally opened (downtown).

Took me slightly over an hour to get there and slightly over two hours waiting in line, then indeed the exact same procedure again (what happened to the first stack of papers..??) but at least i had my passbook with me... and again i was let off with the promise of a letter "within two weeks".

Of course no letter, this time i called them - and it was revealed that i had to "change customer type" or some such (finding someone that can speak English is an art form!) and, needless to say, that can only be done at that same branch where the account was originally opened.

So back i went, this time waited only little over one hour, was given another stack of papers to sign and IN THE END was told that i need a work permit for this procedure. I don't have one. So what?

"Sorry sir, we can not help you".

And of course it would under no circumstances have been possible to tell me that at the very beginning.

Banks in Thailand are horribly inflexible, alone the need to go to the branch where an account was opened is a nightmare. Often accounts are opened at a place of convenience at that time (same situation here, i needed it to receive salary that time, many years back, and the bank was near the office then) and it is also a stupid thing for companies to require employees to have accounts at specific banks. My boyfriend got like 7 bank accounts for this reason, of which only a single one is used (also Bangkok Bank).

Best regards......

Thanh

I am through internet banking with SCB (don't get me started here...), Kasikorn (not that bad), UOB (a sad excuse for interent banking) and eventually Bangkok Bank. BB is by far the best internet banking I ever had and it works fast and efficient.

The IE requirement is joke, I fully agree, but as others pointed out there are ways around it. I remember the helpdesk guy at BB saying "our customers do not use Linux..." :)

I agree with Raro.

BBL works great for me / us when it comes to Biz Banking. Their Support Line is very efficent and they assisted me a lot. All problems, especially those with payroll, were fixed in no time. Of course, their Bualong iBanking for the private user is some what outdated. I cant use it at home either, due to issues with the Mac's Safari. Actually the private Internet Banking, compared to Biz Banking, is and remains a joke. All you can do is, see your account and transfer money within these accounts. Every little other addition you need to apply for, in person at your branch.

One the best Internet Banking Systems I have seen and I use it on a regular basis, is HSBC USA's Platform. Fast and easy.

It took for me about a week or 5 or so before the whole thing finally worked. First I waited 2 weeks called and was told I had to go back main branch in Silom. OK they called the syst Admin and asked if he send pasword and stuff, yes he did and said he would resend. OK I thought we will see. I was then invited by a lovely lady to try out this wonderful experience of on line banking in the VIP lounge. I was placed in front of a computer where the screen was already on the on line banking site. OK sir, please type in your username and pasword.................

Me, uuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:)

So after another 2 weeks of waiting still nothing so I went back again (Had to they told) and again the Admin was contacted and he again confirmed he had send it. So I asked him to spell out my e-mail address and it turned out he forgot a dot between first and last name. The next week I received everything and used it maybe 3 times. I don't see the use of on line banking as I live nearby some shopping malls so can do all payments and stuff at small branch. I find the whole banking experience here in Thailand way better compared to my home country.where there are almost no small branches anywhere and they operate monday to friday from 9 to 5.

It has been mentioned several times in the past on TV by many of its members that Bangkok Bank sucks!

And by many members that it is great, including myself who have used them for 25 years with no issues at all. Most problems come from specific branches/managers, but that also applies to other banks.