Decent Bank In Chiang Mai

farangtim

We're new to Chiang Mai, and need to set up a bank account to get occasional money transfers from overseas. Anybody have any suggestions about which of the bigger banks might offer the best service, charge least for wire transfers, and generally be good for limited use?

We're new to Chiang Mai, and need to set up a bank account to get occasional money transfers from overseas. Anybody have any suggestions about which of the bigger banks might offer the best service, charge least for wire transfers, and generally be good for limited use?

Met the Manager from the Bangkok Bank at the monthly Networking One evening - spoke good English and promised to help if anyone needs him. Seems the prefect bank/chap for you.

I'm sure many banks are good and are well used to dealing with foreigners. I've been banking at Kasikorn since the day I moved here and have not had a single problem with them. Try to open your account at the main branch no matter which bank you choose. And if possible, try to get the manager to open your account for you, speak a few Thai words with him/her, exchange cards, smile, and you will see that will work wonders.

Met the Manager from the Bangkok Bank at the monthly Networking One evening - spoke good English and promised to help if anyone needs him. Seems the prefect bank/chap for you.

Which branch?

I have always been with Bangkok Bank branch in Kad Suan Kaew & had no problems. Main advantages are that they are used to farangs, they are open 7 days a week and in the evenings too and have a load of ATMs and other service machines outside the branch off the street in the mall. Just be patient with their command of English, like always in LoS, and you will have no hassles. Seems to me that charges & service are pretty much the same across all banks but not all ATM interfaces are as easy to use in English. And don't expect to have exactly the same facilities that you are used to in UK/US etc. Otherwise you can enjoy basic decent banking.

I have always been with Bangkok Bank branch in Kad Suan Kaew & had no problems. Main advantages are that they are used to farangs, they are open 7 days a week and in the evenings too and have a load of ATMs and other service machines outside the branch off the street in the mall. Just be patient with their command of English, like always in LoS, and you will have no hassles. Seems to me that charges & service are pretty much the same across all banks but not all ATM interfaces are as easy to use in English. And don't expect to have exactly the same facilities that you are used to in UK/US etc. Otherwise you can enjoy basic decent banking.

Current manager is Khun Rachan- pleasant and helpful.

I have had an account at the head office of Bangkok for years, but shifted my main account when they wanted US$40 to process overseas cheques. I moved to the SBC head office where the girls are lovely, and they only charge 200 baht for processing.

I still use Bangkok Bank to transfer overseas funds to as they do not charge me for incoming funds. It really depends on what level of banking you are looking for.

My experiences and recommendations are a little different than some of your other responders (or may seem so). After many, many years of banking with Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial Bank:

1. I have never had a single charge to process incoming dollar wire transfers from the US, nor for the exchange into baht.

2. Having extablished an automatic monthly transfer, I have only a minimal fee charged by my US bank.

3. Set up your bank account at the branch closest to your house or where you expect to do your banking. While most branches seem to be able to do anything you want on the computer these days, you do not want to have to go way out of your way for whatever specific action is required at your "home branch". For example, I live in Mae Jo and had to go to Chiangmai Gate to get the internet access forms signed for the account I opened there years ago and never transferred.

4. Now that I live in Mae Jo I want to transfer the Chiangmai Gate account but, because of my wire transfer is to that branch, I "can not". BKK Bank doesn't transfer accounts; you have to close one and open a new on. That would would require re-initiating the US bank wire transfer paperwork to have it go to a new account and who knows how long it would take and how well it would get done from afar. It is easier to just leave it in place and have an occassional inconvenient trip.

SUMMARY: Open your account at the BKK Bank or Siam Commercial Branch (or which ever one you choose) at the branch where you would like to do all, repeat ALL, your banking.

I use Kasikorn and found them very good. Never had a problem and always very polite and nice. Infact they put the banks back home to shame actually as far as manners and how to treat the customer. So you could try them. In Bangkok I use UOB and Siam Commercial. Both fine too :)