Taxi From Departure

Rob5060

I just got one this morning, had only my laptop bag. One policemen (or Thai man in uniform) was present but he wasn't too interested it getting the few taxis around to move quickly. There are Thais walking out the departure door too, not sure going where, maybe to catch a cab as well. I didn't however see anyone with lots of luggage exiting this door.

Two people outside were paying the taxi, the driver see me and nods. I walk over and tell him Sukhumvit Soi 4 meter, he acknowledges and I get in. 217 baht no tollways.

Got to Swampy early and so to fill in some time I checked out the shennanigans of taxis at departures.

A row of taxis are pulled up dropping off their fares and slowly thinking about moving on. A transport guy with a megaphone is idling along back and forth, occassionally saying something over the megaphone. Taxis drive off very slowly one at a time, almost coming to a standstill opposite the pedestrian crossing as they look longingly towards the airport terminal. Every few minutes one stops and props at the pedestrian crossing. 5 minutes later he is given a blast with the megaphone, and moves on. One taxi pulls up to the front of the roadway and lifts his bonnet.........maybe waiting for a fare, maybe not, but he doesn't seem to concerned with what is under the bonnet. About every 15 minutes a passenger comes out and hops into a taxi which has paused opposite the pedestrian crossing. The guy with the megaphone sees it but does not look too concerned, as he hurries up the taxis who are dropping off! It is only a game after all!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Do it every single time I fly in... never had a problem personally... you make a choice and accept the risk, Vs the queue and the fee to use the arrivals level rank... I stopped using the arrivals rank after they tried the set price scam on me (THB500 for a THB300 fare), and it 10 mins to negotiate my way out of it...

uptoyou

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo