Pros And Cons Please

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Just saw your post about a tortilla factory in Bangkok. I'd love to have the contact information if you might have it. I own a pub on Phi Phi Island and want to have a few great mexican dishes. I feel proper totillas and corn chips are a great way to start.

Any help you might have would be greatly appriciated!

Sincerely,

Sam Bechtold

Owner/Manager

Breakers Bar & Grill

Phi Phi Island

[email protected]

What about refried Kidney beans instead of Pinto beans? I tried it once and it was tasty. They're around 20 baht per kilo around here...

There is a tortilla factory in Bkk (wholesale corn tortillas run about 3 baht, wholesale, sold by the kilo) that makes corn and flour tortillas and also chips, which are equal or better than the American stuff, in my opinion...

All the ingredients for most any Mexican dish are available here, bar some pepper varieties and fish, perhaps...

Avocados are another story. In the North anyway, they are quite seasonal, and currently unavailable as near as I can tell, and I always keep a good eye out for them in the open markets... Maybe areas around Bkk are better. Avocados haven't been widely available here for long, anyway. I only know of avocados from the north and Burma, but I'm sure they're available from Malaysia and maybe Indonesia, too.

Sam,

Get in touch with Don the forum sponsor for phuket and chiang rai.  He's either in Phuket or Chiang Rai most of the time.  He's got a ton of Mexican stuff and even has avocados which he supplies to many Mexican restaurants in Thailand as well as Jalepeno peppers.

:o If you expect to have a profitable Mexican food restaurant you will need to be able to attract enough foriegners (Farang) to be able to make it pay. Thais in rural areas are unlikely to come to a Mexican restaurant in enough numbers to be profitable, they prefer the tried-and-true Thai food. Unless you have the Farang population needed (or possibly university students) I don't see it working.

Also, even though you can run the place, you need a staff to cook. Can you find enough Thai staff to train to cook Mexican food? I doubt you will be able to find already trained staff with experience of cooking Mexican food.

Also 4 out of every 5 new business fail in the first 3 years due to lack of proper planning before they are started. So the first requirement is a close analysis of the potentials and pitfalls.

If you do start it, good luck.

Wonder if the OP did open his restaurant three years ago?

We have a pretty good Thai following at our Mexican restaurants at the Emporium and Siam Paragon. Over 70% of our guests are Thai. Today Sunrise Tacos chef was interviewed by Channel 3 TV station and they filmed him preparing a Grilled Chicken Quesadilla as well as Nachos Supreme.

Last week, a Thai movie super star was interviewed and he was asked “What is your favorite restaurant” He responded with “Sunrise Tacos at the Siam Paragon” and why Channel 3 decided to filmed us today.

Still having foreigners as guests is important by looking at our sales at the Sukhumvit Soi 12 location. There over 90% of our sales is from food purchased by foreigners. Just wanted to let people know, Thais do like Mexican food.

www.sunrisetacos.com