Mad Dog Saloon

cheynewalk

Ive been using Mad dog for only a few weeks now after being told how good the breakfast was and it is, I find 1 of the staff very friendly but the other one would rather just sit behind the bar and do her make up. On saying that if thats the only complaint for such a good breakfast then I can put up with it, I was recently told the Wild Boar's breakfast was better so I tried it on my weekly run into town last friday and it was no where near as good, apart from the Black pudding the breakfast was bad. So Mad dog and the 1 nice girl and 1 miserable girl still gets my vote.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's the Mad Dog Pizza Bar and Restaurant.

Perhaps I struck the place on an off day, however I was unimpressed with the unsmiling lady behind the bar who took my order without so much as a please or thank you. I later tried vainly to get her attention for another cup of tea and was studiously ignored while she combed her hair and checked her face in a mirror. She did come to life when some shifty thin fellow covered in tattoos looking like a persian rug entered. He found a quiet cornner away from the bar. After some banter with him about why he wasn't sitting at the bar, did he think she smelled too much, she resumed her slouch back in the chair. Obviously this lady reserves her smiling face for regular customers. A few minutes later another expat arrived or should I say hobbled to the bar looking like a train wreck and ordered a chang which he nursed whilst staring forlornly at a tennis match on the tv. Not to be outdone, an old fellow with a shocking complexion, his face and head covered in hideous sores managed a seat at the bar whilst I tried to shift further away from him. The barmaid brightened up at the sight of him too (perhaps she may be a beneficiary in his will, she'll soon collect I think) and provided some comforting words.

Yes a great meal, what a pity it can't be served in more convivial surroundings.

Stay out of the place then if you feel like that.I and my wife both live in Chiang mai full time and have never been in the Mad dog ,but i would never make the comments that you have made about people that you know nothing about.You should be ashamed of yourself.

When I lived in Chiapas, I frequented two Domino's Pizzas venues, which always featured Italian Sausage (unlike some Thai restaurants). I went there for the pizza. At both stores. The waitress remembered me and my order. I just walked in and she called out my order. One girl was pretty, the other plain and chubby, as if I cared. Like ophthalmologists, I go for the service and the eye candy is a bonus. The staff at Tusker's know me by name, and several girls look better than Chas.

I hate to brag (sure I do), but if Noi was the young lady that won some kind of beauty contest, I caught her at a weak moment - in fact, a few weak moments.

Lols UG

I have also had 'intimate' moments with ladies who naive farang said nobody went near despite the fact they worked in bars.

Lols UG

I have also had 'intimate' moments with ladies who naive farang said nobody went near despite the fact they worked in bars.

Lowey, what's happened to you lately mate? You used to make mostly sensible posts. But recently???????????

I must be wrong then

Has anybody been there recently for the breakfast??? I went there on the recommendation of a friend and though the place is a bit of a dingy dive inhabited by derro expats and surly barstaff, the full english breakfast is without doubt the best value for money one I have ever had in Chiang Mai.

Correct, I agree, went there five times and never felt pleasant. The food was OK indeed, but it's not the only place in Chiang Mai with good food. Try the Gekko close to the imperial Mea Ping Hotel on the corner of the Thanon Kampaeangdin.

The American owner loves his business and pays attention to his clients instead of reading newspapers en puzzels, the staff is very friendly. Here you will find what you missed in the MDS. The place needs a face lift that's all. :)

Yes it's the Mad Dog Pizza Bar and Restaurant.

Perhaps I struck the place on an off day, however I was unimpressed with the unsmiling lady behind the bar who took my order without so much as a please or thank you. I later tried vainly to get her attention for another cup of tea and was studiously ignored while she combed her hair and checked her face in a mirror.

I know exactly who you are referring to. I had the same experience. I went based upon many recommendations re: the food. I ordered a hamburger which ended up being the worst that I have ever experienced anywhere. Now I've heard much about the breakfast and will try that some day - when the lady bartender is not present. She really seems to hate to be there. I guess one has to be a regular to be considered a non-enemy.

I ate there this morning and no one paid me much attention besides hamburger Mike and some drunken guy with a Southern accent. The food was good and cheap and I was perfectly satisfied. It is not a dating service. :)

That southern Thai dialect takes a bit of getting used to EweGee.

Wah Pruu? Roi jang hoo!!!!!

The bar staff are 'enemies', what exactly have they done that is so bad or causing such grief?

Did you get the meal you ordered?

Did you get your drink?

Did you pay the advertised price?

Was the meal OK?

Was there something not included in the price......egg, bacon, toast and a "oh you're so lovely" maybe?

How do people make enemies of bar staff, who are not trying to get drinks or anything from you?

Order, eat, pay and go (without tipping if you like) seems like such a simple formula....unless one is really craving attention.

The bar staff are 'enemies', what exactly have they done that is so bad or causing such grief?

Did you get your drink?

Was the meal OK?

Was there something not included in the price......egg, bacon, toast and a "oh you're so lovely" maybe?

How do people make enemies of bar staff, who are not trying to get drinks or anything from you?

Order, eat, pay and go (without tipping if you like) seems like such a simple formula....unless one is really craving attention.

I'm not sure if you are defending or attacking the place :)

Did you get your drink?

Was the meal OK?

Civil behavior at a business is known as decent service in most countries. I'll not get into what comprises good or outstanding service since that would be beyond the pale.

This is the same type of thing Westerners freely criticize about the French, which seems to be a politically correct thing to do, but don't they dare do it about Thailand. They are then oh so culturally insensitive.

All this critical crap makes me chuckle. Anyone would be led to think that all these expat's only recieve 5 star service and royal treatment by the staff of all establishments in their countries of birth.

Of course; we all know that is utter rubbish and you can be treated like crap in any country and in a great many places where you eat and drink. A few rubbish meals and some lousy service come to mind for most level headed folk and the price you will pay in most places will be more than Thailand.

Wherever you come from either stop whinging or go back there and leave the rest of us in peace.

Did you get your drink?

Was the meal OK?

Perhaps English is not your first language for it was clear that I was not being literal when using the word non-enemy.

One need not be craving attention to be put off by rudeness, however, from what I have been told she is a decent person and therefore perhaps she was having a rough day.

Lastly, I have a great deal of respect for any business in any country that has managed to be a success for as many years as Mad Dog.

Edited by venturalaw

I do my best to avoid giving business to these already well set farang. Frequent Thai places and help support the people of the country you're staying in.

Though I agree with your sentiments a lot of these well set farang business's have a reason for being well set, mainly because they have provided a decent service/ product over the years, so you stand less chance of being disappointed than you might be with a new set up.

I have my tried and tested favourites but will also give a new start up a go if it looks promising.

I do my best to avoid giving business to these already well set farang. Frequent Thai places and help support the people of the country you're staying in.

We all frequent Thai businesses, but when you get the munchies for some good foreign food there are not too many Thai places that can make the real thing.

Also, not all farangs were born with a silver spoon spoon in our mouths. Many of us have to work for a living and many of us have less money than rich Thai businessmen. Choose places that have what you want and do a good job, not by the owners nationality.

I applaud your spirit.

As for me, Mrs T already gets all my sympathy meals. When eating out, I choose based on factors other than the ethnicity of the business owner.

I agree whole-heartedly. If I'm in England I would never ever go to a Thai restaurant run by Thais or a Chinese restaurant run by Chinese. I espescially avoid the chinese Chippies (Fish n Chip shop) in Liverpool. Okay, I know that means I have to go to Chester to find an English owned chippie, but it is well worth the 100 mile round trip to be true to my principles. :) Right on, brother.

I agree whole-heartedly. If I'm in England I would never ever go to a Thai restaurant run by Thais or a Chinese restaurant run by Chinese. I espescially avoid the chinese Chippies (Fish n Chip shop) in Liverpool. Okay, I know that means I have to go to Chester to find an English owned chippie, but it is well worth the 100 mile round trip to be true to my principles. :) Right on, brother.

Mr. Khunt, you are so much like a decent bottle of red wine, the longer you're around the better you get. See you next Friday. Same place as last time?

I agree whole-heartedly. If I'm in England I would never ever go to a Thai restaurant run by Thais or a Chinese restaurant run by Chinese. I espescially avoid the chinese Chippies (Fish n Chip shop) in Liverpool. Okay, I know that means I have to go to Chester to find an English owned chippie, but it is well worth the 100 mile round trip to be true to my principles. :D Right on, brother.

Mr. Khunt, you are so much like a decent bottle of red wine, the longer you're around the better you get. See you next Friday. Same place as last time?

I'm a creature of habit as far as Friday's are concerned. I'm just about to put on my gladrags, comb what's left of my hair, polish my shoes, and mosey on down. Boy starts at 9.15 so I don't want to be late. If you're not there tonight, I'll see you next week.

As regards to the wine analogy - are you really trying to say that I'm maturing? That's a bit rummy!! :)

Well that sure isn't your smartest post to date damian5000. I was just looking at some of your previous posts here. You really tend to a bit silly at times. And a self confessed convicted felon as well.

Is it not fairly clear from this thread that some people go into Mad Dog as a 'restaurant' on the basis of recommendations of the food and are in some cases disapointed with the service.

Others go in there and treat it as a 'Bar' looking for ...., and seem in general very happy with the service.

Clearly it is not possible, or very difficult to cater for being both a 'Bar and Restaurant'.

Iain

Is it not fairly clear from this thread that some people go into Mad Dog as a 'restaurant' on the basis of recommendations of the food and are in some cases disapointed with the service.

Others go in there and treat it as a 'Bar' looking for ...., and seem in general very happy with the service.

Clearly it is not possible, or very difficult to cater for being both a 'Bar and Restaurant'.

Iain

A beer

or other drink as required.

Why not? It serves both food and drinks.

Are you suggesting some other establishments should advertise themselves as Bar and Whorehouse?