Mad Dog Saloon

cheynewalk

sleepyjohn makes all good points. I've always been waited on promptly at Mad Dog and if Gai feels like I deserve a smile, that is just a bonus. As to Nick, he always goes out of his way to say hello and I appreciate it as I don't visit as frequently as I used to.

I still don't see how anyone can complain about the place once they are served one of those HUGE 100 baht breakfasts! :D

Some, possibly most of the positive comments will be from regulars, or those that are at least known to the staff. I'm one of those quiet, nondescript farangs that doesn't look like a fair number of the expats seen around CM (ie a bit ragged, hair a touch unkempt, battered flipflops, clothes that have seen better days, that 'I've-seen-it-all-in-Thailand' look in their eyes). When I walk into a bar I usually get pigeon-holed as a tourist. The 'here today gone tomorrow' customers get a different kind of attention in a different kind of establishment, sure, but this sometimes gets me the sort of less-than-perfect service a few have been describing at the Mad Dog. (Isn't there a t-shirt thread somewhere? I want one that says, in Thai, "I'm not a <deleted> tourist, I live here" :D)

I can't quite imaging just where the <deleted> you have been going Wedders. Yes there are are the odd ones (been here a while and looking a bit ragged) but they are the exception rather than the rule.

But I would suggest you lie low over the next week because one of CM's long term expats is rumoured to be in town. You won't see him dressed as you have described however if you stepped over the line with some of your absolute crap in his presence you yourself might finish up looking like something the dog dragged in from the soi (at the very least you would look a lot worse that the people you have boxed together with your description) But then I suppose that you get all your clothes made on Saville Row :):D

Leastaways that's what would have happened some time back.

Edited by john b good

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sleepyjohn makes all good points. I've always been waited on promptly at Mad Dog and if Gai feels like I deserve a smile, that is just a bonus. As to Nick, he always goes out of his way to say hello and I appreciate it as I don't visit as frequently as I used to.

I still don't see how anyone can complain about the place once they are served one of those HUGE 100 baht breakfasts! :D

Some, possibly most of the positive comments will be from regulars, or those that are at least known to the staff. I'm one of those quiet, nondescript farangs that doesn't look like a fair number of the expats seen around CM (ie a bit ragged, hair a touch unkempt, battered flipflops, clothes that have seen better days, that 'I've-seen-it-all-in-Thailand' look in their eyes). When I walk into a bar I usually get pigeon-holed as a tourist. The 'here today gone tomorrow' customers get a different kind of attention in a different kind of establishment, sure, but this sometimes gets me the sort of less-than-perfect service a few have been describing at the Mad Dog. (Isn't there a t-shirt thread somewhere? I want one that says, in Thai, "I'm not a <deleted> tourist, I live here" :D)

I can't quite imaging just where the <deleted> you have been going Wedders. Yes there are are the odd ones (been here a while and looking a bit ragged) but they are the exception rather than the rule.

But I would suggest you lie low over the next week because one of CM's long term expats is rumoured to be in town. You won't see him dressed as you have described however if you stepped over the line with some of your absolute crap in his presence you yourself might finish up looking like something the dog dragged in from the soi (at the very least you would look a lot worse that the people you have boxed together with your description) But then I suppose that you get all your clothes made on Saville Row :):D

It seems like you have a bit of an anger problem john, this is the 2nd or 3rd time in the last few weeks where you have told someone to lay low or things may become violent or someone will hurt them. :D

It seems like you have a bit of an anger problem john, this is the 2nd or 3rd time in the last few weeks where you have told someone to lay low or things may become violent or someone will hurt them. :D

I was just about to post the same thing, also very juvenile, all this Blinky will beat you up because you said something bad on TV Cr*p. :D

I think the main problem is we are spoilt by the fun loving smiling people in Chiang Mai, so it is not the norm when we are met by a frown or indifferent service. I'm in the UK at the moment and have got quiet used to it :D

With no hidden adjenda I have found the staff in Mad Dog less friendly than other places in Chiang Mai, friends who don't post on TV have mentioned the same to me, I can't fault the food, great pizza's and good breakfasts. The draught Tiger is a bonus as well.

I was just about to post the same thing, also very juvenile, all this Blinky will beat you up because you said something bad on TV Cr*p. :)

Excuse me!! But where did jbg mention that I will be beating people up? I'm a peace loving romantic.

Well I'm no Sherlock Holmes but reading between the lines.... :D

Yes you've always come across as a bit of a hippie to me :D

(Isn't there a t-shirt thread somewhere? I want one that says, in Thai, "I'm not a <deleted> tourist, I live here" :D )

That would surely put you in the wangkers category, wedders. But I guess if the shirt fits, wear it.

Two decades an expat, ten years since I even set foot in Blighty, and I've yet to buy a t-shirt anything remotely along the lines I joked about above (perhaps you didn't spot the smiley)... I might splash out on one with a pattern one day, though.

Is that right? :D Shakin' in my impeccable flip-flops, am I. My pulse rate has shot up to 51 from from its normal resting rate of 50 :D . Would love to meet this terrifying character, if I haven't already...

Is that right? :) Shakin' in my impeccable flip-flops, am I. My pulse rate has shot up to 51 from from its normal resting rate of 50 :D . Would love to meet this terrifying character, if I haven't already...

How about Friday or Saturday? Tuskers on Friday for me and I'll buy the first round. If that doesn't suit, name a place and I'll meet you there, perhaps we can influence a few others to join us (and watch the blood flow).

Is that right? :) Shakin' in my impeccable flip-flops, am I. My pulse rate has shot up to 51 from from its normal resting rate of 50 :D . Would love to meet this terrifying character, if I haven't already...

How about Friday or Saturday? Tuskers on Friday for me and I'll buy the first round. If that doesn't suit, name a place and I'll meet you there, perhaps we can influence a few others to join us (and watch the blood flow).

Guitarman later in the evening if we survive the battle, could be good. Might even be able to convince Mr. Khunt to wander down to his 2nd favourite watering hole. We could always stop by the Red Lion on the way.

Is that right? :D Shakin' in my impeccable flip-flops, am I. My pulse rate has shot up to 51 from from its normal resting rate of 50 :D . Would love to meet this terrifying character, if I haven't already...

My suspicions were confirmed Watson :)

What happened to the peace loving romantic?

But I would suggest you lie low over the next week because one of CM's long term expats is rumoured to be in town.

Only one thing sadder than posting thinly-veiled physical threats whilst sat behind a keyboard, and that's posting physical threats on someone else's behalf.

Still here and looking forward to having a beer with you too. Must admit I'm a little annoyed by these assumptions that I'm a violent person.

Still here and looking forward to having a beer with you too. Must admit I'm a little annoyed by these assumptions that I'm a violent person.

I'd love to but am stuck in the UK for another 5 weeks, if your about on my return then I'd enjoy a peaceful drink or two with you, I think we can forget the romantic stuff though :D

Interesting thread :D

If memory serves me right, I went to Mad Dogs once and ordered the baked potato with chili topping. The potato was HUGE and I really enjoyed the meal.

I really don't remember much about the service other than I got my meal. If, as some have claimed, you have to be a "regular" to get good service, I've seen places like that in the states where you have to endure a sort of probation period before you are accepted :)

In Thailand I've adopted a different strategy in that I try to get staff to like me by geing friendly, smile a bit, tell them a funny story, what ever to become accepted. Sometimes it doesn't work but when it does, its great and staff will bend over back wards to please. Lording it over them because "I'm the customer" doesn't work too well in many parts of the world.

Just one poor pilgrams take on things :D