Japan

Datsun240Z

I've been wondering a while with this in my head. Does Japan allows foreigners to do all kind of work or study? How about buying a house and land etc? I've thaught Japan to be more modern country, but don't know anything about it's rules.

Anybody has experience with Japan here?

I don't know about the housing laws, but your employer can get a work permit for you, it is easier than in Thailand.

But I can't say the Japanese are "foreigner friendly", much less so than the Thais.

In Tokyo, you will see clubs with signs in front of it saying "Japanese only".

They have a swollen head like no other Asian.

Other Asians are proud, but the Japanese follow the two principles: "If it ain't Jap, then it's crap" and "If it is Jap, it is supreme".

As a foreigner, I would also refrain stating an opinion about anything that is owned, made or thought by Japanese - even the color of the sidewalk or the Japanese weather.

They snap in no time because of a nothing and control themselves in a manner that you don't even notice. After, they fall into your back with their buddies.

They love to gossip.

I wouldn't go to Japan again.

Most of the older men also have a deep complex because of the war.

They are between two fires:

on one side they believe they would have won the ground battle in Japan (which may be true if the USA didn't use any more A-Bombs),

but on the other side, the emperor, living god, has ordered them to lay down their weapons and surrender...

They believe a prolonged struggle would have saved their faces and honor (they would have preferred the A-Bombs), but they cannot say that the emperor was wrong, because he's the boss.

In my opinion the Japanese can be more complicated than women.

Edited by manarak

I've been wondering a while with this in my head. Does Japan allows foreigners to do all kind of work or study? How about buying a house and land etc? I've thaught Japan to be more modern country, but don't know anything about it's rules.

Anybody has experience with Japan here?

You can buy a tiny apartment, if you can afford 160 million Yen.

You need a work permit.

Do you possess a skill that 130 million Japanese do not already have?

Wasn't talking about that. Just want to know if it's more foreigner friendly. ( For instance, not options like only Teach English, or become a diving instructor ) Thailand is a pain in the ass. But if it's the same hazzle, I won't go there.

Sorry mate, was just being silly.

I put the :) there.

Anyhow, if you think, or have heard the Thais dont like foreigners, wait until you go to Japan.

Now, there (in Japan) we really have the Master race.

From my experience of having J. counterpart for many years, "if you can't manage the Thais, leave the Japanese alone."

Saving face

Social status

Seniority

Social manner

Ethnocentric

etc.

The J. value them 100 times more than the T.

The country is great for holiday though.

From my experience:

ie. Seniority concern:

In the J. gov. office they go back home in order according to the rank. The senior go back first then the next and so on. The junior can't go back before the senior. Even if they have finish the day work they have to show that they devote themselves to the organisation and for whatever season. So everyday, the director go first then the deputy then the 3 4 5 6 guys in th office. And no body can get up immidiately after the senior one. So there is a gap between every body in the rank and file. The most junior one turn off th light lock the door and leave the office last.

They don't expect foreigner to be like this. They just know foreigner can be like them but this is just sample for their consideration of proper working culture.

In my experience, it's much more easier to talk to the J. on TL or explain TL to the J than to the Westerners. It's is easy for J. to accept TL as it is, no matter they like it or not. They don't ask why T. do this? Why T. do that? We don't this don't that in our country. It's natural for them that because this is Thai people and they do different because they are Japanese people. In their office they may enforce they rule but they don't think it's good idea to install J. things to TL. It's simply impossible these people are not J. They do things their way.

To end any curiosity I can simply say "Because it's Thai way." "Because it's the rule of the land." They naturally accept this and becaue of their greater concern of saving face value they don't make negative comments to the local counterpart.

I know it is a danger for making this thread into a Japan bashing thread.

Many positive things as well.

I like the way they organize things.

I like the politeness.

I like the effeciency.

Ok, back to the negative.

:D

Have you ever seen a group of Japanese get drunk?

If you think many of the farangs do not have any regards to the other customers in a bar. Then wait until you see a group of Japanese.

They show the exact same disregard.

One big difference. Many westernes can get a big agressive, while most Japanese get loud and annoying.

If the oldest (or highest social leveled) in a group of Japanese gets drunk and silly, the rest of the group do not dare to "assist" him. He can make such an ass of himself, infront of an entire audience in a bar/club, and his friends/colleagues just watch, frustrated.

It is quite a sight to watch actually.

This I have observed many a time in both Japan and Thailand.

And some positive again.

:)

But they (the Japanese) are normally very jolly when they drink/party.