Backup Xp Sp3 Downloaded Software

vagabond48

After over 2 years, I am about ready to reinstall XP. I believe I located the folder containing SP3 in

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\dd9ab5193501484cf5e6884fa1d22f9e

which I never installed.

I will reinstall XP using the original CD I got from Dell. I want to upgrade to SP3 which should keep me happy for a year or two after they will reportedly stop supporting XP in early 2010. Can I backup the above file and copy it back to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download after I reinstall XP?

After over 2 years, I am about ready to reinstall XP. I believe I located the folder containing SP3 in

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\dd9ab5193501484cf5e6884fa1d22f9e

which I never installed.

I will reinstall XP using the original CD I got from Dell. I want to upgrade to SP3 which should keep me happy for a year or two after they will reportedly stop supporting XP in early 2010. Can I backup the above file and copy it back to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download after I reinstall XP?

Although I prefer to use Acronis True Image to make an image of my C drive after everything has been installed and is working the way I like it, there is a case for having a fresh install CD. This link will show you how to combine the SP3 information with your XP installation disk to make a single Xp service pack 3 install CD that you want.

What makes you sure that that particular folder contains SP3?

If it indeed does, then no problem. If it doesn't, you can download SP3 again later after the install,

First, it was nearly 400 meg in the windows download folder which drew my suspicion then, I find in the update folder a text file eula.txt which read;

SUPPLEMENTAL END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR

MICROSOFT SOFTWARE

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 3

Did I make the correct assumption?

I am trying to avoid downloading this very large file since my internet connection runs many times at dial-up speeds.