Need Some Configuration Help

sillyfools

I have the newly offered True 8Mbps package so I went for it. It also comes with 2Mbps wifi in the city which I like.

However, you log in to wifi in the city with the same account name and password so your connection at home disconnects.

I am running a kerio email server at home to make sure that I always have all emails in my place where I live but as you can see, I cannot access my emailserver when I am on wifi in the city because the account is then already in use.

The building where I live also has free wifi indoors and I used it before.

What I want to do is.... go in the city, connect with my true wifi account and still be able to access my mailserver (or even RDP). So, that part has to go over the wifi instead of over the regular adsl connection.

Is there anyone that can help me out with this routing issue? I'm using a legal version of XP SP3. I still have multiple network cards laying around as well as hubs etc.

A load-balancing/failover system is not a solution as I only have control over 1 WAN I think (the adsl line). The other network is coming in over the LAN.

Please post here or PM me if you can help me out. Thanks ;-).

I have the newly offered True 8Mbps package so I went for it. It also comes with 2Mbps wifi in the city which I like.

However, you log in to wifi in the city with the same account name and password so your connection at home disconnects.

I am running a kerio email server at home to make sure that I always have all emails in my place where I live but as you can see, I cannot access my emailserver when I am on wifi in the city because the account is then already in use.

What I want to do is.... go in the city, connect with my true wifi account and still be able to access my mailserver (or even RDP). So, that part has to go over the wifi instead of over the regular adsl connection.

Is there anyone that can help me out with this routing issue? I'm using a legal version of XP SP3. I still have multiple network cards laying around as well as hubs etc.

A load-balancing/failover system is not a solution as I only have control over 1 WAN I think (the adsl line). The other network is coming in over the LAN.

Maybe this software will help

http://www.wlanbook.com/disable-wireless-c...d-lan-xp-vista/

However the site is not clear if it switches only if the lan cable is disconnected or if you are unable to access the Internet

Maybe this software will help

http://www.wlanbook.com/disable-wireless-c...d-lan-xp-vista/

However the site is not clear if it switches only if the lan cable is disconnected or if you are unable to access the Internet

Thanks but it does not really work for me as the lan is still connected but there will be no IP address assigned to it from the ADSL modem elsewhere on my network. I am using fixed IPs.

What I really need is someone to set up the routing tables for 2 programs to go out through another network card and use the wifi.

If anyone can help, please let me know what it will cost.

Thanks

The main problem is that the free wifi you use is likely not going to allow port triggering, so you will not be able to make an inbound connection to your mail server or desktop/server via RDP.

The best option would be to pay true for another wifi account. They may give you a discount as you already have an account.

If cost is an issue, you could host your email elsewhere. You could get basic web hosting for around $10/year, which will include email accounts, but you wouldn't have access to RDP obviously.

If you have a mobile phone with bluetooth, you could also use your Edge connection to connect to the internet with your laptop. This would eat your phone battery up and may cost more than True wifi depending on the data plan you purchase, but will give you access virtually anywhere instead of only the locations with True wifi available.

Edited by surface

Currently I have a VPN runnning that allows me to connect from a certain port on my web server to read my mail over the VPN connection to my mailserver at home as indeed I had no control over the ports of the free wifi. That has been taken care of that way.

I just want to make sure that that network card to the free wifi is used for the mailserver traffic.

I thought about getting an additional wifi package but the sweet part about the true 8Mbps is that it comes with 2Mbps wifi in the city... which is great as that really allows me to get some work done from just about anywhere.

Another option would be to go for an additional lower package (2nd line) but this would add to costs, while it still does not solve the routing :-).... as I already have free wifi and even a 3G USB with good connection here at my place to use for that. I just need someone who can set up the routing for it.

Any server/system/network admins that can lend a hand?

This can be tricky, if not impossible. I've not tried setting up a multihomed XP box receiving addresses via DHCP (WLAN) and I'm not sure if it's even possible, but if you want to give it a try...

I'm assuming the IP of the VPN server is static.

Do your server and laptop receive a private IP when you connect to the VPN? If not I don't see how you can create a route if the IP on your laptop is always changing unless you figure out all of the networks being used by True for their wifi and create routes for all of them.

You'll want to put your LAN on a different subnet from the WLAN. If the WLAN is on the 192.168.1.0 network, use 192.168.2.0 for your LAN.

Now assuming 123.123.123.123 is the IP of your VPN server, 192.168.1.1 is the WLAN gateway

route -p add 123.123.123.123 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.254 metric 1 if [b]13[/b]

"if" should be the WLAN interface which you can find with "route print".

Once you have the two gateways on there the routes will change to who-knows-what so...

So many variables here with your VPN, WLAN, etc., that if you get this to work I'd love to know how! :)

A better option would be to run vmware server (free) and place your email server on a XP, Linux or whatever OS inside vmware. This way you can give it a dedicated adapter and you won't have to worry about the routes.

This can be tricky, if not impossible. I've not tried setting up a multihomed XP box receiving addresses via DHCP (WLAN) and I'm not sure if it's even possible, but if you want to give it a try...

I'm assuming the IP of the VPN server is static.

Do your server and laptop receive a private IP when you connect to the VPN? If not I don't see how you can create a route if the IP on your laptop is always changing unless you figure out all of the networks being used by True for their wifi and create routes for all of them.

You'll want to put your LAN on a different subnet from the WLAN. If the WLAN is on the 192.168.1.0 network, use 192.168.2.0 for your LAN.

Now assuming 123.123.123.123 is the IP of your VPN server, 192.168.1.1 is the WLAN gateway

route -p add 123.123.123.123 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.254 metric 1 if [b]13[/b]

"if" should be the WLAN interface which you can find with "route print".

Once you have the two gateways on there the routes will change to who-knows-what so...

So many variables here with your VPN, WLAN, etc., that if you get this to work I'd love to know how! :)

A better option would be to run vmware server (free) and place your email server on a XP, Linux or whatever OS inside vmware. This way you can give it a dedicated adapter and you won't have to worry about the routes.

Thanks surface.

Both the Wlan and the Lan have 192.168.1.1 as gateway but I only have control over the LAN so I could change that one.

I use static IP addresses on both the LAN and WLAN above the .50 range at the end.

I'm using openvpn (set up by my linux server admin who is not very knowledgeable in XP unfortunately) so as soon as XP starts, openvpn connects to the fixed ip of the webserver and establishes a connection.

Hm... I'm coming to think of installing VMware indeed but I'm afraid of adding another copy of bloated XP to the mix. The machine has 2GB ram and only 3.5GB out of 4GB could be used if I add more memory on a 32 bit system... I use about 1GB for memcache to speed up my emailserver (about 800MB of emails).

I somehow feel the routing should be able to do the trick... I'm just not very familiar with it :-).