Sauna In Chiang Mai

axel2001

vagabond48 - hey this sounds interesting... please let me know if you find it... ill try to check out as well... do u remember any place near that could help me to locate it ?

I dropped by yesterday for a peek and it looks about the same and is still 100baht.

You take Suriyawong Road going South from Chiang Mai Gate. At the end of the road, you make a right on Wiang Ping Road. Go about 10 to 20 meters, make a left on a small soi with a number of advertising signs for apartments, at the turn. You'll pass a brown apartment building on the right, with nice rooms btw. Just go down about 60 to 100 meters and on the right side you'll see Thong Pan Chang Sauna and Fitness. There should be a street sign on the sidewalk.

Remember, I haven't used this sauna for well over a year but do mention my name so I can get my 150% commission. :)

Please report back if you go.

I was talked into trying it yesterday, it is more a steam room type experience, but not at all bad for the money and having it at home.

I am not sure what the mix of herbs the Mrs used, but I got out and answered to her 'how do you feel?' question, 'like a 20 year old!'.

Earned another hit when I followed this up with 'where do I find one!'

Iain

• 4 months later...
vagabond48 - hey this sounds interesting... please let me know if you find it... ill try to check out as well... do u remember any place near that could help me to locate it ?

I dropped by yesterday for a peek and it looks about the same and is still 100baht.

You take Suriyawong Road going South from Chiang Mai Gate. At the end of the road, you make a right on Wiang Ping Road. Go about 10 to 20 meters, make a left on a small soi with a number of advertising signs for apartments, at the turn. You'll pass a brown apartment building on the right, with nice rooms btw. Just go down about 60 to 100 meters and on the right side you'll see Thong Pan Chang Sauna and Fitness. There should be a street sign on the sidewalk.

Remember, I haven't used this sauna for well over a year but do mention my name so I can get my 150% commission. :)

Please report back if you go.

hi thanks for the tip!!! I did go there 2 days ago and its the best so far... actually is good enough for me. The sauna was perfect temperature 90 celsius and all Finland made (Harvia). First the lady told me that I cant pour water on the rocks as its not allowed, but when she left back to reception I found bucked and sneaked it in.

None of the customers minded me emptying the bucked to the rocks (only one Thai, most farang or Koreans who actually know how to use sauna).

And the result. Very relaxed mind and dropped weight 2kg. Will go once a week from now on... thanks a lot!!

but when she left back to reception I found bucked and sneaked it in.

None of the customers minded me emptying the bucked to the rocks

And the result. Very relaxed mind and dropped weight 2kg. Will go once a week from now on... thanks a lot!!

So it just takes one bucket of water to lose 2kgs. And you're going once a week. What happens after 35 weeks?

but when she left back to reception I found bucked and sneaked it in.

None of the customers minded me emptying the bucked to the rocks

So it just takes one bucket of water to lose 2kgs. And you're going once a week. What happens after 35 weeks?

You didnt lose weight you lost water from your body and it will return as son as you replenish your liquid intake , it is relaxing however !!!

By coincidence, just as this thread's got bumped, a new gay suana is opening in Chiang Mai this week. Called Freeman it located by the Free Guy go-go bar in the Soi off Chottona Road behind the Mecure hotel.

Does anybody else have same "mobile" saunas like iainiain101 bought? Are they as good as usual ones?

My wife bought one. The steam is produced from a rice cooker adjusted with a spout as an outlet. She doesn't use it any more. Maybe because I laughed at her every time I saw her head popping out of the hood.

For three months of the year, I am hot enough just sitting reading the paper to not need a sauna. I avoid the heat like Thais avoid the sun. What are the benefits of these saunas? You certainly won't lose weight, which is why most Thai women buy them.

Edited by KevinHunt

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Axel 2001, and other TV friends,

Used to work-out at the Centara Hotel (formerly Duangtawan) fitness center (4th. floor) on Loy Kroh : the men's dressing room there included (as of two months ago) two nice saunas, one of which was usually "red-hot," as well as a steam rooom (hot to medium-real-hot), and jacuzzi (never hot enough for my human). We are told the women's dressing room there also had similar facilities, but unfortunately were never able to verify that ourselves.

Only other sauna I tried was the one out Wualai road (as you are not far from Airport Plaza) associated with the Sivakagomakraji Old Wulai traditional Thai medicine hospital and massage school : had a bad experience there : it was crowded, and only one place left to sit down : it was very steamy : could not see ... and no one warned me about red-hot exposed piping right beneath where I had to sit down. Received a severe burn on the back of my right leg above the foot from just momentary contact with the piping. Never went back there. Staff were indifferent to my condition, paid no attention to my suggestion (polite) that they should have sign in English warning about the piping, and, even better, put a box around the piping so that human flesh could not touch it.

~o:37;

Does anybody else have same "mobile" saunas like iainiain101 bought? Are they as good as usual ones?

My wife bought one. The steam is produced from a rice cooker adjusted with a spout as an outlet. She doesn't use it any more. Maybe because I laughed at her every time I saw her head popping out of the hood.

For three months of the year, I am hot enough just sitting reading the paper to not need a sauna. I avoid the heat like Thais avoid the sun. What are the benefits of these saunas? You certainly won't lose weight, which is why most Thai women buy them.

If you like saunas move to Bangkok in the rainy season its so humid a sauna is not required. Benefits , they do open up your pores ,ridding you of a lot of muck and good for guys whose alcohol intake is excessive.During my football playing days we used one after a match to reduce stiffness but that was combined with a massage from our lady therapist. There is a guy in my village that runs with plastic wrap ,the kind that you use in the kitchen for wrapping food ,wrapped around his mid section ,after observing him for 12 mths hasnt made a lot of difference.He is a mobile sauna !!!!

I know there is a suana in mae rim in the middle of a field only thai people know about it and a few farrang who train muay thai at this local gym as the thai trainer takes us there .

get to the junction that goes to mae rim just at the end of canel road onstead of turning left go straight on and over the bridge after the bridge take the first left in the moo ban drive down until you see a sign post on your right i think it could be yellow by memory drive round until you see a turning which crosses the bridge over the river turn left after the bridge then take your 2nd right and follow the road round its at the end.

if you get problems finding it pm me and i will give you the guys phone number.

I've wondered for years why your cook keeps dipping into that big pink thing everytime someone orders a rice dish. :)

The derogatory post - whether directed at the human or the orangutan - has been removed.

I always liked 'Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape! from Planet of the Apes though I am sure it has never been directed at Mr Orang :D but not to digress, the Old Medicine Clinic on wuali rd has two tiered pricing for those that don't agree with that sort of thing :)

There is a new massage parlor in the complex next to Thanin Market. They have saunas and they are not gay. FYI-Nagaraj is most definately gay!

I could not find it. What color is the building/sign? Is it in English?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys please help me out here!

See here is the simple problem I have. Im from Finland and in my country pretty much every house got its private sauna (I dont think I ever seen one without). We use it around 2-3 times a week. So average 40 year old Finn has been in sauna around 5000 times. Now I would say that I have pretty good idea how sauna should be used. Now while so far all the saunas I have been in Chiang Mai has Finland made heaters and they look like properly build then <deleted> IS THIS - NO WATER ON THE ROCKS THING?!!!

So every time I find new place, I find bucket for water, perhaps a glass to pour it and start enjoying the sauna. 2 minutes goes past and staff walks in and confiscates my bucket with "danger do not throw water on rocks" comments... seriously <deleted>??

Many of these places has "sauna instructions" lol ... in those instructions you see them slamming water like we should. So what is this all about?? And the last time in the sauna there where only me and my friend (also Finn) so it can't be any other customer complaining.

Please anyone - last time I tried to explain the guys that being Finn and having used sauna thousands of times makes me kind of expert on this at least in CM and they should not be telling me how to use sauna properly.

please... Im going again tomorrow trying to sneak the buckets in and enjoy the 2 minutes I can =(

Maybe need to find a new sauna place.

I go to a gym that has a tiny sauna, literally 2, 3 people maximum.

You put a spoon of water on the rocks in this tiny sauna...feels like you can't breathe for a few seconds.

I like sauna for the dry heat. And alternate with the steam room for humid heat.

But of course as a Finn, I know you guys invented this...and know how it is done.

Thank you Finland, for inventing the sauna!

hmm to be more specific the sauna's I have found are good in temperature. that is 80c - 95c that is right. But depending on how long time I spend in the sauna I like to use around 2 bucket's of water to get it nice and moist (humidity should be around 100 where as in these saunas I have been its around 60).

So this set is what I need http://www.harvia.fi/files/prod_jpeg/2051/...mp;SAC18100.jpg