Electronic Cigarettes Any Good?

dudeyone

I saw some Electronic Cigarettes in MBK. I did a search over the internet and apparently it's gaining popularity among smokers. I am a smoker myself. They say it doesn't have tar but still gives you nicotine or something like that. I would love not having to buy another pack of cigarettes because one of those Electronic Cigarettes can last a long time, something like 200 uses for each cartridge. Anybody can tell me more about this?

I've been curious about these as well. When I did a search on Google, this was one of the first results I encountered.

Frrom the FDA (Food and Drug Administration in the U.S.)

Electronic Cigarettes

Audience: Pediatric healthcare professionals and consumers

[Posted 07/22/2009] FDA notified healthcare professionals and patients that a laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples has found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze. Electronic cigarettes, also called “e-cigarettes,” are battery-operated devices that generally contain cartridges filled with nicotine, flavor and other chemicals. The electronic cigarette turns nicotine, which is highly addictive, and other chemicals into a vapor that is inhaled by the user. These products are marketed and sold to young people and are readily available online and in shopping malls. They are also available in different flavors, such as chocolate and mint, which may appeal to young people.

The FDA’s Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis analyzed the ingredients in a small sample of cartridges from two leading brands of electronic cigarettes. In one sample, the FDA’s analyses detected diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans, and in several other samples, the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines. These products do not contain any health warnings comparable to FDA-approved nicotine replacement products or conventional cigarettes. Because these products have not been submitted to the FDA for evaluation or approval, at this time the agency has no way of knowing, except for the limited testing it has performed, the levels of nicotine or the amounts or kinds of other chemicals that the various brands of these products deliver to the user.

Health care professionals and consumers may report serious adverse events (side effects) or product quality problems with the use of e-cigarettes to the FDA's MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program either online, by regular mail, fax or phone.

[07/22/2009 - Information on E-cigarettes - FDA]

So, perhaps it's not quite time to purchase one just yet. At least not until they've been around for a while and proven to be safer than regular smokes.

Edited by Beacher

My next door neighbour uses one I've tried it and it's strange as smoke actually seems to come out of the thing. I liked the menthol best the other flavours you can get is like smoking sheesha.

IMO better going cold turkey if you really want to give up smoking (I know easier said than done)

Hello....i bought 3 of them last year,cause ia m a heavy smoker and hoped i can stop it!they are very good at the beginning when they still produche good steam,but after only a few days the not produce enough steam to simulate real smokingand thats where the problem for me started!

possible the new one are improved and produce constsnt good steamthen it is rally like real smoking without any poisons!you can get capsules with high meduim low or no nicotine!

i dont know how much they charge in mbk...but give it a try!

regards