Building Our Pool - From Start To Finish

chrgrims

The pool is finished! We started the pump yesterday, and all seems to work well. The stone for the deck is si la laeng.

the deck surface looks slightly rougher than what i have around my pool :)

Yeah, marble. Ummm concussion, anyone?

Chrgrims looks like a great result, and hope you get years of enjoyment out of it. :D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Naam,

You are certainly a 'card' to say the least....fancy putting polished marble around a pool. I guess you only swim there with a life guard on duty because the minute you climb out ur on ur backside again, possibly unconscious with ur head in the pool :D ....I dunno, some folk. :)

I'm a marble/granite person myself but would indeed be worried with the stuff around the pool! Not so much for adults, but definitely with children around...

Although, a mate of mine has an all granite bathroom, and the floor is treated with something which makes it less slippery. Apparently it works rather good as well.

Chgrimms, them stones around the pool absorb water. Which can be a positive, but the main problem will likely become fungus and/or algae forming on them. They make the perfect growing media for them!

Better take a good look at Karcher products :)

The pool is finished! We started the pump yesterday, and all seems to work well. The stone for the deck is si la laeng.

the deck surface looks slightly rougher than what i have around my pool :)

This is about the size i am looking for. How much did it cost and who built it for you?

any tips on preventing algea/fungus is welcome! remember, its a pool with an swg, so we will have salt on the deck around. will probably put some manually too, because we got advice that salt can keep plants away.

I dunno about here in Thailand chrgrims, there are some good products on the market, you probably need to have a look at homepro or something like that. You only need to be careful with what cleaner you use around the pool, to keep it hosing away from the pool so the substance doesnt end up in the water. I use to use a good product back home, but its name escapes me for now....I will post when or if I remember.

A good pressure cleaner probably wouldnt go astray.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for posting.

The pool looks ok (abit basic for 1 million baht). A friend recently had his pool finished, has waterfall and built in jacuzzi, looks alot better than yours and didn't cost as much...

I would very much like to see photos of this pool....but also I would love to know the builders name and contact info :-) You're very welcome to PM me :-)

any tips on preventing algea/fungus is welcome! remember, its a pool with an swg, so we will have salt on the deck around. will probably put some manually too, because we got advice that salt can keep plants away.

I dunno about here in Thailand chrgrims, there are some good products on the market, you probably need to have a look at homepro or something like that. You only need to be careful with what cleaner you use around the pool, to keep it hosing away from the pool so the substance doesnt end up in the water. I use to use a good product back home, but its name escapes me for now....I will post when or if I remember.

A good pressure cleaner probably wouldnt go astray.

yes, seems like good advice. Today we put salt on the deck around the pool to prevent plants from growing up around the stones. I will let you know if this does the trick.

also, we just made a shower of the si la laeng, it looks awesome, picture below.

on another note, i am very happy with this pool, its really been a great experience thus far. yes, tiles and thick concrete is more expensive. But it brings stability, longevity and low cost long term.

post-83356-1259336113_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Keep your sanitizer levels correct and check for phosphates getting into your pool. That should keep the algae at bay. You'll usually find dead algae on the walls of your skimmer pots and your combined chlorine rising when algae is on the rise.

Naam,

You are certainly a 'card' to say the least....fancy putting polished marble around a pool. I guess you only swim there with a life guard on duty because the minute you climb out ur on ur backside again, possibly unconscious with ur head in the pool :D ....I dunno, some folk. :)

i have some experience with marble Neverdie. of course the floor has an additional coat which will outlast my statistical lifetime because it is an indoor pool. if the marble was exposed outside to rain and sunshine -in a tropical environment like Thailand- the coating would have to be renewed every 6-8 years. whether a new coat is due can easily be tested with wet feet. as it stands now, the marble is less slippery than the average shower tiles. the only drawback is that the top shine is gone. material cost for 110m² was ~€UR 650.- plus THB 11,000 shipping and clearing. application was done with mops by my gardener and my [not so] humble self. it took us 2½ hours to apply two coats.

p.s. we used the pool area without the coating and without any problems for more than two years. step out of the pool on a towel, dry yourself... that's all.