Bbc: 1, Bangkok English Teacher: 0

qualtrough

I came across an amusing letter on the BBC Web site from an English teacher in Bangkok. BBC: 1, English Teacher: 0. Anybody know poor Henry?

From the BBC site:

A bumper response this week. I've read them all, and sorry they can't all be included here.

Many of them responded to David Ward and his view that this column was a waste of time and a foul intrusion into the "blogosphere", whatever that is. Plenty did not agree, but this one caught my eye:

Henry Pfister, Bangkok: "David Ward is spot on. The BBC website's good reputation is a mystery to me. I use it occasionally to find reading text's [sic] for my intermediate level Englsih [sic] students, as the form and content of your articles are suitable for learners of this ability.

"I would never visit this site as a matter of personal choice. It [sic] very concept is amateurish when compared to diversified and niche marketed nature of the online independent media, and as broad based, news realted [sic] web pages go, even the santimonioius [sic] Guardian's effort kicks yours into touch, although I cannot give their articles to my students.

"I fear you're simply trading on an established brand name. boring."

Good luck to your students Henry.

Edited by qualtrough

I came across an amusing letter on the BBC Web site from an English teacher in Bangkok. BBC: 1, English Teacher: 0. Anybody know poor Henry?

From the BBC site:

A bumper response this week. I've read them all, and sorry they can't all be included here.

Many of them responded to David Ward and his view that this column was a waste of time and a foul intrusion into the "blogosphere", whatever that is. Plenty did not agree, but this one caught my eye:

Henry Pfister, Bangkok: "David Ward is spot on. The BBC website's good reputation is a mystery to me. I use it occasionally to find reading text's [sic] for my intermediate level Englsih [sic] students, as the form and content of your articles are suitable for learners of this ability.

"I would never visit this site as a matter of personal choice. It [sic] very concept is amateurish when compared to diversified and niche marketed nature of the online independent media, and as broad based, news realted [sic] web pages go, even the santimonioius [sic] Guardian's effort kicks yours into touch, although I cannot give their articles to my students.

"I fear you're simply trading on an established brand name. boring."

Good luck to your students Henry.

we've got some English teachers here that talk a load of <deleted> as well :o