Is Lawyer Really Needed For Non Immigrant B Visa?

Hello all,

I am trying to get a Non Immigrant B Visa for Thailand and the purpose of my trip is only to do business opportunity research, search for a business partner and find a location. I understood that I will not need a work permit as yet, as I will not be taking an employment or conduct any business activity in Thailand.

To get this Non Immigrant B Visa, is a lawyer really needed? I have been informed by the lawyer himself that all he would do was to issue an invitation letter for me so that I could show it to the embassy with my visa application. He would charge about $300-500.

I looked at the Ministry of Foreign Affair web site and the documents required are, apart from the usual stuff like photo/passport/bank statement, a letter from an employer, a correspondence with a Thai business partner and other documents from my future business partner.

I mean, how am I going to get those if I haven't even had a partner yet? And I know that one can enter the country and obtain Non Immigrant B Visa just to look for a business opportunity first.

I know a lawyer can facilitate that process, but is there a way to go about it without one? I mean paying $500 for just a letter? It's almost like hiring them to help you get a tourist visa....it just can be done without them.

Can I just submit MY company's license (in the US) and a letter of purpose of my trip to Thailand, without all those documents from my business partner?

p.s. I know all it takes is an invitation letter from a Thai company, but I don't have one at the moment and my purpose is to go to Thailand to look for a trustworthy one to become a partner, then register my company and get a work permit.

Thank you

Edited by qksilver10320

Hello all,

I am trying to get a Non Immigrant B Visa for Thailand and the purpose of my trip is only to do business opportunity research, search for a business partner and find a location. I understood that I will not need a work permit as yet, as I will not be taking an employment or conduct any business activity in Thailand.

To get this Non Immigrant B Visa, is a lawyer really needed? I have been informed by the lawyer himself that all he would do was to issue an invitation letter for me so that I could show it to the embassy with my visa application. He would charge about $300-500.

I looked at the Ministry of Foreign Affair web site and the documents required are, apart from the usual stuff like photo/passport/bank statement, a letter from an employer, a correspondence with a Thai business partner and other documents from my future business partner.

I mean, how am I going to get those if I haven't even had a partner yet? And I know that one can enter the country and obtain Non Immigrant B Visa just to look for a business opportunity first.

I know a lawyer can facilitate that process, but is there a way to go about it without one? I mean paying $500 for just a letter? It's almost like hiring them to help you get a tourist visa....it just can be done without them.

Can I just submit MY company's license (in the US) and a letter of purpose of my trip to Thailand, without all those documents from my business partner?

p.s. I know all it takes is an invitation letter from a Thai company, but I don't have one at the moment and my purpose is to go to Thailand to look for a trustworthy one to become a partner, then register my company and get a work permit.

Thank you

you will only need a non imm b visa once you have a buisness set up... lots of paperwork required to obtain a b visa im not positive but how exactly dos this lawyer plan on getting all the necesary registered paperwork that will be required from a thai company if you dont have a partner or any assets in thailand? Just come on a tourist visa, and switch once you are setting up your company

and no you dont need a lawyer

Edited by tb86

You can apply for a Non-O (other) multiple-entry visa at consulate in your country on the basis of visiting friends. Houston is reported as being a more liberal consulate than some others. You will have to do border runs every 90 days, but by leaving/re-entering the country just before your visa expires you will get another 90 days permission to stay (so stretching visa to 15 months). During this time you can do your research and find a business partner. When you are ready you will have to set up a Thai company. The Thai company will sponsor your work permit. You can obtain WP using Non-O visa.

you wont need a b visa untill you start doing buisness.... and it kind of sounds like your quite a ways off from that point in time, what do you plan on doing here anyways?

You are mixing different things. A visa is issued by embassy or consulate and is a permission to travel resulting in a permission to stay if entry is allowed by Thai immigration officer (not on blacklist etc). To work you need a WP. That is issued by the Labour Department. You can obtain a WP on either Non-O or Non-B visa.

You can get a multiple entry B visa at most honorary consulates in the US with a letter (with company letterhead) from your company but you cannot sign it yourself. It should state what you will be doing here. It should also have a statement that the company will be responsible for all your expenses while in Thailand.

Don't bother trying it at any of the official consulates or the embassy because it probably will not happen.

Use the pull down menu on this webpage to get a list of honorary consulates. http://www.thaiembdc.org/AboutEmb/EmbDirect.aspx

you wont need a b visa untill you start doing buisness.... and it kind of sounds like your quite a ways off from that point in time, what do you plan on doing here anyways?

You are mixing different things. A visa is issued by embassy or consulate and is a permission to travel resulting in a permission to stay if entry is allowed by Thai immigration officer (not on blacklist etc). To work you need a WP. That is issued by the Labour Department. You can obtain a WP on either Non-O or Non-B visa.

trust me im not mixing anything up, i just renewed both my non imm b visa and my work permit.... with out a lawyer about 3 weeks ago. I fail to see the advantage of going through the paperwork of getting a b visa when you are simply traveling to thailand to do some fact finding about a possible buisness... and yes i currently have 4 buisnesses and employ 40+ staff, managers ect. But if you feel the need to do so by all means go ahead but you wont run into a situation where it will be advantagous to have this paperwork untill you actualy have established some leads and made contacts, but its up too you

trust me im not mixing anything up, i just renewed both my non imm b visa and my work permit....

I would guess you got a new extension of stay not a visa unless you are still making border runs every 90 days because you can't get an extension of stay.

OP is asking about getting a multiple entry visa not an extension of stay.

If he does start a new company he will need a B visa anyway for about 2 years before he can get an extension of stay.

I agree he does not need a lawyer to get the B visa but IMO at some point in time he will need one to set up a company and get his first work permit.

trust me im not mixing anything up, i just renewed both my non imm b visa and my work permit.... with out a lawyer about 3 weeks ago. I fail to see the advantage of going through the paperwork of getting a b visa when you are simply traveling to thailand to do some fact finding about a possible buisness... and yes i currently have 4 buisnesses and employ 40+ staff, managers ect. But if you feel the need to do so by all means go ahead but you wont run into a situation where it will be advantagous to have this paperwork untill you actualy have established some leads and made contacts, but its up too you

You are talking about extension of stay; I was talking about obtaining a new visa which is what the OP needs. I agree with you that the OP does not need Non-B visa just to do his business research.

trust me im not mixing anything up, i just renewed both my non imm b visa and my work permit....

I would guess you got a new extension of stay not a visa unless you are still making border runs every 90 days because you can't get an extension of stay.

If he does start a new company he will need a B visa anyway for about 2 years before he can get an extension of stay.

I agree he does not need a lawyer to get the B visa but IMO at some point in time he will need one to set up a company and get his first work permit.

why would i make border runs? i have non imm b visa and wp, am i missing something?

im just saying too look you dont need to go through the whole process, if you dont find anything you would have wasted time with the process instead of just coming on a tourist visa and then changing visas once you actually have something..

You are talking about extension of stay; I was talking about obtaining a new visa which is what the OP needs. I agree with you that the OP does not need Non-B visa just to do his business research.

ok so we are in agreeance then

why would i make border runs? i have non imm b visa and wp, am i missing something?

im just saying too look you dont need to go through the whole process, if you dont find anything you would have wasted time with the process instead of just coming on a tourist visa and then changing visas once you actually have something..

You are on extension of stay (and do not have visa) and therefore do 90 day reporting. If you have a non-immigrant visa you will get 90 day permission to stay. At the end of 90 days you have to do a border run to obtain a new permission to stay if have multi-entry visa.

Edited by thaiphoon

You don't have a B visa you have an extension of stay based upon employment. I would guess that the visa you used to gain entry into the country and get the permit to stay that you have extended expired long ago.

A visa is only good for a 90 day entry either one entry or a multiple.

If you are in the states now you should get a 3 entry tourist visa before you leave. Using extensions and 2 border runs you would get a stay of almost 9 months without getting a new visa.

Suggest you apply at an honorary consulate. Use pull down menu to get a list: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...FEmbDirect.aspx

After this you can do the Vientiane run and get a 2 entry visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

Hello all,

Thank you

Banned again.

Houston is reported as being a more liberal consulate than some others.
I'm from Houston and have used them as have others I know, so I'll confirm this. I've also used KL in the past once or twice, gotten only 90 day. Haven't had to do it in several years because of extensions.

The thing I wanted to toss in is that Denver is a gold mine. Last anyone I knew went, it was a real estate office and when you ask for the Thai consulate the lady pulls a little name plate out and puts it on the desk and smiles. No kidding, heh. Very friendly office and easy to get what you need.

Houston is reported as being a more liberal consulate than some others.
I'm from Houston and have used them as have others I know, so I'll confirm this. I've also used KL in the past once or twice, gotten only 90 day. Haven't had to do it in several years because of extensions.

The thing I wanted to toss in is that Denver is a gold mine. Last anyone I knew went, it was a real estate office and when you ask for the Thai consulate the lady pulls a little name plate out and puts it on the desk and smiles. No kidding, heh. Very friendly office and easy to get what you need.

Denver is indeed friendly although they only serve people from the local area.

Beware. Not all lawyers are capable and honest.

Hello all,

Thank you

Edited by thailand4tour

What you're asking about is Non-Bi (investment) visa. It's issued by a Thai company inviting you to the country to look for investment opportunities as you intend to do. Usually SunBelt offers such services - they send you a letter and supporting documents that you need to bring to Thai embassy in your country or wherever you're allowed to. You'll be given 3 months visa in most cases.

Some law companies can send you documents for as little as 150 USD.

It had some sence when several countries issued 1 year visas on basis of such documents, but it's difficult right now as I heard.

You can search for business opportunities even having tourist visa or border stamp.

I get these Multi-Entry Non-Immigrant B visa all the time. :) NEVER USED A LAWYER

I have 14 Years worth of them..

The Invitation Letter is from a Non-Thai Company , preferably your own Company , and YOU CAN SIGN IT YOURSELF :D

DETAILS;

You must supply the following documentation:

1. A valid passport with at least 6 months’ validity remaining when you enter Thailand and at least one set of two opposing blank pages in the passport.

2. One passport-type photo – colour or black and white

3. A copy of your flight itinerary from your departure point in ???????? to landing in Thailand.

4. A duly completed, signed and dated Visa Application form.

5 cash or money orders only.

6. We also require a Letter of Invitation - don't forget that the company must be located OUTSIDE of Thailand for a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant "B" visa.

For a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant "B" visa (this is for people who are going to be going in and out of Thailand for the purpose of consulting, setting up and monitoring an office or business, etc. but NOT for actual work) you will require all of the above. This visa is good for one year less a day - in other words, the person can enter Thailand as many times as they can fit into one year less a day. The longest they can stay in the country each time is 90 days - if they wish to stay for a longer visit, they must do a "visa run" - they must show by stamps in their passport that they have exited Thailand and entered another country. They then turn around and exit that country and re-enter Thailand (there is no minimum time they must stay out of the country before re-entering). This satisfies the letter of the law, as Thailand looks at each visa as an entity unto itself (each Single Entry Non-Immigrant visa is good for 90 days in Thailand).

However, the Letter of Invitation for a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant "B" visa MUST be from a company OUTSIDE of Thailand and MUST have a sentence in it stating that the company sending the person over will be responsible for all that person's expenses while in Thailand.

I also include a Copy of my Company registration , and the Invitation Letter states I am doing Research , development and checking quality and sourcing packaging and shipping resources.. All just re-search , as long as I am Buying from Thai Companies , they are Delivering to my Shippers , and they do all the Lifting , I am basically here watching over my orders , and employ no-one.. The Companies i deal with supply the workforce that I use.. No HEADACHES that way..

As far as a Thai Partner , I find looking after my own investments saves me a TON of $$ , in comparision to when I had a Thai Partner who seemed to be in it for the $$ and never really took care of my interests.. I need to be here to deal with my business, no one can do that for me.. Or Hire a Local Foreigner ( be careful with that as well ) to be your liaison while you are out of country...

Contact me for questions..

Edited by CMFarang

may be, for the 3 year B Visa,

if the lawyer can prepare the contact with a thai company ...

see no. 8

Three-Year Non-Immigrant Visa “B” (Business only)

Foreign citizen who wishes to visit Thailand for business purpose may apply for a three-year Non-Immigrant Visa “B”. This type of visa may be issued to businessmen for multiple-entries and is valid for 3 years. It allows holder to visit Thailand as often as required for as long as the visa remains valid and allows holder to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days during each visit. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited for holder of such visa.

Place of application

Application is to be submitted at the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate-General in the applicant’s country of residence, or at the Royal Thai Embassy which has jurisdiction over his or her country of residence. However, Royal Thai Consulate-General headed by Honorary Consul-General is not authorized to issue this type of visa. Applicant may enquire about authorized office for visa issuance at any Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General. Information on contact details and locations of Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General is also available at www.mfa.go.th/web/10.php

Required Documentation

Applicant for a three-year Non-Immigrant Visa “B” must submit the following:

Basic documents

1. An application form completed in full and signed by applicant.

2. A passport valid for travelling to Thailand with sufficient remaining validity.

3. Two passport-sized photographs (4x6cm) taken within the previous 6 months.

Additional documents which may be requested

4. National Identity Card, Residence documentation or valid proof of identity.

5. A letter from the employer giving details of the applicant’s position, length of employment, salary and purpose of the visit(s) to Thailand. If the applicant is self-employed, he or she must provide documentation of his or her business undertaking such as business registration and details of business operation.

6. Copies of correspondence with business partners in Thailand.

7. A letter of invitation from trading or associated partners/companies in Thailand.

8. Corporate documents of associated partners/companies in Thailand such as:

- business registration and business license

- list of shareholders

- company profile

- details of business operation

- map indicating location of the company

- balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor

Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30) of the latest year

- value-added tax registration (Por Por 20)

9. A letter of recommendation from previous employer or business associations of which the applicant is member.

Visa fee

- The fee is 10,000 Baht.

Remarks

- The required additional documents (4 – 9) may be submitted upon request.

Supplementary documents may be requested as and when necessary.

- The issuance of visa is at discretion of the consular officer.

- Visa fee is non-refundable.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2498