Nam Phong, North Of Khon Kaen

Im Luvvinit

I have been asked by my girlfriend to go and visit her home town and "meet the parent's"

She's from Nam Phong near Khon Kaen.

I would really appreciate any feedback on what i can expect.

My girl's english does not extend as far as being able to describe her home town in any detail.

I wonder if it is a built up area, or is it rural?

a general description would be nice.

I have been asked by my girlfriend to go and visit her home town and "meet the parent's"

My girl's english does not extend as far as being able to describe her home town in any detail.

I've been there - it's very rural - so don't expect many creature comforts like heated water. Take your own toilet roll.

There's a big lake there called Ubon Rat Dam - you should take the family there - you can sit on a floating restaurant & have lunch/dinner - foods great there.

Also - take the chance to pop to Khon Kaen - they've got some decent places to eat out & drink.

It'll be a culture shock for sure - but go with the flow & you'll be fine.

Do expect to be the only farang around & expect the girfriend to parade you arpound a bit. When you've had enough of being paraded around - explain that to her nicely & she'll sort it out.

Don't get stressed out - you will be a novelty - they'll all want a touch.

Expect to buy some beers & if her dad drinks - buy him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label - you'll have a friend for life.

Know the place well, I live in Ubonrat village 25km from Nam Phong.

Everything Pedro says is spot on. If you are staying any length of time then transport is essential. Khon Kaen is approx. 25km from Nam Phong.

If it's a short visit, chill out and enjoy it, it's not that bad up here.

Can't say anything about Khon Kaen but in February (to vote) took my first trip back to the GF's village to the east of Roi et - out by Nong Phok. As described below. Had a good time, was treated well. Do have to roll with the punches but the kindness, the food, the good times, the wonderful slow pace - and the feeling of being far, far away were all well worth it. Will go back in April for a longer stay and can't wait. Go and have enjoy.

Well Thanks a lot guys, i had a feeling this was going to be the case.

The whisky is a great idea......the GF told me today it was her brothers birthday yesterday and the whole town showed up.

Her whole family got "mao" apart from her...so she says :o

I feel that i will end up buying a house in the KK / Udon area as in three weeks i move from England to Thailand for good.

If it's half as chilled as people say, i think i will stay forever :D

once again, thanks for your input.

Maybe i will return here and update you later.

Edited by Im Luvvinit

• 4 months later...
Well Thanks a lot guys, i had a feeling this was going to be the case.

The whisky is a great idea......the GF told me today it was her brothers birthday yesterday and the whole town showed up.

Her whole family got "mao" apart from  her...so she says :o

I feel that i will end up buying a house in the KK / Udon area as in three weeks i move from England to Thailand for good.

If it's half as chilled as people say, i think i will stay forever  :D

once again, thanks for your input.

Maybe i will return here and update you later.

Hello Im Luvvinit,

I was wondering if you are near NAM PONG now (living)? as I live 5mins up the road. There are many of us around this area and can give you some good places to go and ppl to meet.

• 8 months later...

I was stationed at Nam Phong in 1972, it was very rural then. I would love to see pictures of it now and find out what has become of the base, If anybody has any they would share I'd be very greatful.

Dale

[email protected]