Solar Water Heater

Gary A

maybe an important add. there is a bacterial I think called legionella (if you google for it, try different spelling as I am not sure).

For not getting infected you need to get the water 70 degree, but it is enough to get it that hot once per month.

It is necessary on low heat heating systems in europe, but considering the water quality here it might be a overkill.

Maybe it is also OK if you take out the water once a week and check visuell or keep the tank smaller (if you have a 50 liter tank and your family takes shower with 50 liter usage per day+big temp differences) I don't think someting harmfull can grow fast enough.

maybe an important add. there is a bacterial I think called legionella (if you google for it, try different spelling as I am not sure).

For not getting infected you need to get the water 70 degree, but it is enough to get it that hot once per month.

It is necessary on low heat heating systems in europe, but considering the water quality here it might be a overkill.

Maybe it is also OK if you take out the water once a week and check visuell or keep the tank smaller (if you have a 50 liter tank and your family takes shower with 50 liter usage per day+big temp differences) I don't think someting harmfull can grow fast enough.

FYI h90, Legionella Pneumophila exists in almost ALL water & moist soils. It lies dormant if the environmental temperature is below about 20 degrees Celsius &, as you stated, is killed at about 70 degrees Celcius.

Legionella infection is acquired through breathing in aerosols (very fine droplets of water) which contain the bacteria. It is not passed from person to person nor is it acquired by drinking water contaminated with Legionella.

Since Legionella exists naturally in all water, the problem only arises when the Total Bacterial Count (TBC) is high & water aerosols are apirated (breathed in). Generally, the water needs to be between 25 & 50 degrees Celcius for the bacteria to breed quickly to high numbers.

The disease does not affect everyone who comes into contact with the bacteria. The groups most at risk are:

* People over 50 years of age (predominantly males)

* Heavy smokers

* Heavy drinkers

* Diabetics

* People with chronic lung disease

* People with impaired immune systems (ie body defence mechanisms)

There have been no reported cases of anybody in Australia contracting Legionnaires Disease from any domestic 'non aerosol' water supply. Australia is the perfect place for this disease because in Summer, when the temperatures are high, Legionella can proliferate very easily & quickly.

Cooling Towers are the main breeding grounds for this bacteria & are very dangerous because these cooling towers emit lots of water vapour (aerosol).

Therefore, there is no need to worry about this bacteria in any water storage system.

I think it is law some countries in europe to heat that high from time to time. Many people worry about it and you can get it from taking a shower.

But I know exactly 0 cases of infection due to shower.

If I remember right there were a few infections a couple of years ago, due to extremly dirty air ventilation system in a hotel.

FYI h90, Legionella Pneumophila exists in almost ALL water & moist soils. It lies dormant if the environmental temperature is below about 20 degrees Celsius &, as you stated, is killed at about 70 degrees Celcius.

Legionella infection is acquired through breathing in aerosols (very fine droplets of water) which contain the bacteria. It is not passed from person to person nor is it acquired by drinking water contaminated with Legionella.

Since Legionella exists naturally in all water, the problem only arises when the Total Bacterial Count (TBC) is high & water aerosols are apirated (breathed in). Generally, the water needs to be between 25 & 50 degrees Celcius for the bacteria to breed quickly to high numbers.

The disease does not affect everyone who comes into contact with the bacteria. The groups most at risk are:

* People over 50 years of age (predominantly males)

* Heavy smokers

* Heavy drinkers

* Diabetics

* People with chronic lung disease

* People with impaired immune systems (ie body defence mechanisms)

There have been no reported cases of anybody in Australia contracting Legionnaires Disease from any domestic 'non aerosol' water supply. Australia is the perfect place for this disease because in Summer, when the temperatures are high, Legionella can proliferate very easily & quickly.

Cooling Towers are the main breeding grounds for this bacteria & are very dangerous because these cooling towers emit lots of water vapour (aerosol).

Therefore, there is no need to worry about this bacteria in any water storage system.

I think it is law some countries in europe to heat that high from time to time. Many people worry about it and you can get it from taking a shower.

But I know exactly 0 cases of infection due to shower.

If I remember right there were a few infections a couple of years ago, due to extremly dirty air ventilation system in a hotel.

I still think there is nothing to worry about.

If anyone contracts this bacteria from breathing shower water vapour, it's probably because;

1. The water has not been heated above 55 degrees Celsius &,

2. The water has been stored for long periods in the vessel in an area of high ambient temperature & the vessel has also been open to circulating oxygen.

3. The infected person is in some way immuno deficient (age, disease etc).

Infections from ventilation systems are rare but apparent. Cooling Towers are the worst culprits.

One must remember that water naturally contains Legionella but the Total Bacterial Count must be VERY high before presenting the smallest danger to humans.

In other words, you have nothing to worry about at all when using domestic appliances. Avoid malingering around cooling towers.

• 1 year later...
You can buy them in engineering / machine type shops.

Costs about 40k, I think

I've been looking around for them and the chaepest I could find were 100K+

You have any addressesThetyim?

Try this Guy out. He is the Thai agent for Solar from China. Ph. : +668 7024 8990

MSN : [email protected]

Edited by nobber9999

By the way Ajarn: re ‘Reminds me of Mother Jones Magazine’; did you mean ‘Mother Earth’ at

http://www.motherearthnews.com/

which is simply great. And why not try this, too:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/ . Enjoy!

Actually he was correct, there was a Mother Jones mag. I don't know if still availible. I've 10 or more years of old issues of Mother Earth in my garage stored away.

• 2 weeks later...
For a professional approach try

Elgan Voightmann

Siam Green Power

tel 02-392-4926

email [email protected]

or if you're upcountry then

Thai-German Solar at

Solar Solution

043-449499

[email protected]

They are in Khon Kaen

When I had a large bungalow built here I had two solar panels fitted on the roof with a large insulated tank in the roof space. Cost 55,000 two years ago. Mixer taps in bathrooms and kitchen. You need half and half with cold water in winter and 25% 75% hot/cold in summer. I can recommend it. (But my wife still fills a large bowl from it and splashes it over herself with a basin ! )

Lung Bing

Khon Kaen

Always interesting to read about this man. In germany he was a criminal cheat. He took money from his customers to pay the parts, but in reality he doesn't has paid them. The traders have had the trouble for nothing, because he was said to be bankrupt. We are sure that in reality he spared the money to disengage and now we see: He is in thailand ! Good job !!

Who do you mean?

• 2 weeks later...