Anything Else You Are Looking For In A Mexican Restaurant?

Monita

Mexican Restaurant poll  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've always dreamt of opening a Mexican restaurant in Bangkok ever since I've returned from the States, 5 years ago. I haven't found Mexican place that can ease my cravings till now, so I have to cook it myself. I think my experience cooking Mexican food is up to the master level now so I want to share the love with you all by opening my own restaurant.

However, I just want you to help me understand this industry a bit better to make a "close to perfect" (since we are not in Mexico) Mexican restaurant. So please let me know what you want to see more in Mexican restaurant, any food items you want Mexican restaurant to offer, or anything at all that you want to share. We are very much appreciate your comments.

Monita

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hard part for this is to find the right substitute for the Poblano chili

I just googled "poblano chili seeds" came up with over 88k hits, this is one of them:

http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center...?item_no=S10779

There is a chili that is grown here, it is around 3-4+ inches in length, lime colored. Mild flavored. I bought mine at Tesco Lotus, but they are sold at many places. They were a good substitute for the authentic Poblano used in Chile Relleno.

It was a lot of work...but well worth it, even my wife liked my Chili Relleno.

I've always dreamt of opening a Mexican restaurant in Bangkok ever since I've returned from the States, 5 years ago. I haven't found Mexican place that can ease my cravings till now, so I have to cook it myself. I think my experience cooking Mexican food is up to the master level now so I want to share the love with you all by opening my own restaurant.

However, I just want you to help me understand this industry a bit better to make a "close to perfect" (since we are not in Mexico) Mexican restaurant. So please let me know what you want to see more in Mexican restaurant, any food items you want Mexican restaurant to offer, or anything at all that you want to share. We are very much appreciate your comments.

Monita

I love Mexican. got to have crisp taco shell a must. i dont like too much cilantro in the salsa either. Also don't change the taste to suit the asian palate which is usually on the sweet side. I've been to some restaurants that do this and it ruins the whole taste of authentic food whether its Mexican or Cajun, etc.

Monita

I love Mexican. got to have crisp taco shell a must. i dont like too much cilantro in the salsa either. Also don't change the taste to suit the asian palate which is usually on the sweet side. I've been to some restaurants that do this and it ruins the whole taste of authentic food whether its Mexican or Cajun, etc.

Totally agree with you AndyWeysham. I'm not a big fan of sweet in food. I will try to make as truely Mexican food as it could be. Thanks for your comment ; )

I totally endorse all of the above comments/suggestions. One additional important offering is a good hot salsa. Your menu might include soft as well as crisp taco shells, and genuine refried beans. Particularly if you plan to be open from morning onward, I would consider juevos rancheros as well--with all the trimmings (Mexican rice, soft tortilla, refried beans). I'm making myself hungary--where and when will you be open?

I totally endorse all of the above comments/suggestions. One additional important offering is a good hot salsa. Your menu might include soft as well as crisp taco shells, and genuine refried beans. Particularly if you plan to be open from morning onward, I would consider juevos rancheros as well--with all the trimmings (Mexican rice, soft tortilla, refried beans). I'm making myself hungary--where and when will you be open?

Wow.........where to start? I agree that we need chile rellenos in Thailand. There is a new pepper variety in Thailand that is big, light green and suitable for stuffing (after grilling it of course). If you imported some genuine ancho peppers, you might be able to make a sauce that will cover up the fact that you are not using poblano peppers.

I also think if you experimented you could make a chile relleno for Thais................

By the way, I was so frustrated with the "pepper situation" in Thailand that I tried to grow jalapeno, poblano, habanero, serrano, manzano, chilaca, etc., and they all died........the climate here (along with pests and microbes) simply are too harsh for them to grow.......the alternative would be to pour pesticides on them daily and you do not want to do that, so I have to recommend using the local peppers in combination with dried authentic Mexican peppers.

I would also love to see tamales.........not the small kind.............the beer can size tamales with authentic meat-chile sauce. The problem you will discover is the beef in Thailand is horrible.........so you have to use imported beef, thus the price goes up.

I would also like to see good enchiladas.......not tiny enchiladas with a tiny amount of sauce, but big ones with sauce: cheese, beef w/ red sauce and green sauce.

I would also like to see good beef tacos.

And I would like to see combination plates.........say one enchilada, on tamale, beans and rice. Nobody seems to be doing that.

In Texas, we have great Tex-Mex...........I would suggest you focus on that as not one person in Thailand is making it (even though people here will tell you they are only making Tex-Mex........wrong!).

A good menu is El Fenix.......you can download it. You can also see some good picture of real Tex-Mex. I would only make a few items........focus on quality........few items only.

Good fajitas are also great.........beef fajitas.

Forget shrimp, fish......all the disgusting stuff.

Totally agree with you, PaulDee. The good hot salsa is a must in a Mexican restaurant and I will definitely offer it at my restaurant along with medium and mild ones. Huevos Rancheros is a great idea. May be I should open early on weekends for breakfast. Thanks for the comment : )

The most basic of ingredients in any Mexican restaurant is masa from the proper white corn......dent corn and preferably freshly made. Second choice would be masa flour that you can make tortillias and tamales with. If you find a source of masa flour, or would like to order from the west......I'll take a few kilos and am sure others on this forum would as well.

I just got a space in Mahatun Plaza which is right at the Ploen Chit BTS stop. I will call it "La Monita Taqueria ". If you want to know about our news and updates, you can follow us @LaMonitaBkk on Twitter. Or add us in your FB at La Monita Taqueria Group

Anyways, I still need all your great comments to make us a great Taqueria you can count on!!

First before you open your restaurant run do not walk to the nearest Psychiatrist

and give him all of you money. Then go sit under the bridge and relax and have positive thought about how lucky you are NOT to have opened a restaurant. I’m a highly experienced Chef and once had the crazy idea to own my own restaurant. I shelled out big bucks and started one. Little did I know that I had just forfeited all of my time to the "" Bottom less Pit” never knowing if I would have enough money to pay the help, light and gas, salaries, social fund payments, cost of food, and a million other things no body ever tells you about. Go out and talk to some restaurant owners and get there feed back.

Being the owner and Chef of your own ""Joint "" is a real downer. What you will find just because you are a master of your food does not mean you will be successful. Running a restaurant is much more then good cooking. Good chefs make lousy managers in most all cases. Read Tony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. He tells it exactly how it is. 4 out of every 5 restaurants fail with in three years. It really is a terrible way to own a business, Run to that Psychiatrist now!

First before you open your restaurant run do not walk to the nearest Psychiatrist

and give him all of you money. Then go sit under the bridge and relax and have positive thought about how lucky you are NOT to have opened a restaurant. I'm a highly experienced Chef and once had the crazy idea to own my own restaurant. I shelled out big bucks and started one. Little did I know that I had just forfeited all of my time to the "" Bottom less Pit" never knowing if I would have enough money to pay the help, light and gas, salaries, social fund payments, cost of food, and a million other things no body ever tells you about. Go out and talk to some restaurant owners and get there feed back.

Being the owner and Chef of your own ""Joint "" is a real downer. What you will find just because you are a master of your food does not mean you will be successful. Running a restaurant is much more then good cooking. Good chefs make lousy managers in most all cases. Read Tony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. He tells it exactly how it is. 4 out of every 5 restaurants fail with in three years. It really is a terrible way to own a business, Run to that Psychiatrist now!

LOL thanks for sharing your experience, MrSniggles. I know owning a restaurant is not an easy task. However, I don't want to grow old and still thinking "what would have happend if I had opened opened my Mexican restaurant back then". (But now after hearing your story, when I grow old I might said "why did I open the restaurant back then".) LOL

Referring to mr.sniggles post #14 I suggest that you don't ask what your customers want,

where to find which Chillis... and what type of masa, but who will the customers be and

where will they come from and WHY?!

And then find your self a nice well studded female counterpart who is "connected"..

and then start the place - check out which places are doing well and who is on stage -

not who does the job!

And it's not only in Thailand this way.... unless you like to do this out of pure passion..

let me know say 36 months from now....I hate it if people go bust on their very own dreams!

Every Mexican restaurant I've visited here in Thailand has been sheer and utter crap. Awful. And the farang owners will tell you the Thais have not a wit of an idea on how to make it. Small wonder when it's really quite similar in some respects to Thai food insofar as it has chillies and lime. But that's as far as it goes.

The Italians have it a little easier - not so close to Thai food it can be 'confused'. Really. Save yourself the headache and don't bother.

Now real Belgian fries in a cone with real mayo on top ...

and give him all of you money. Then go sit under the bridge and relax and have positive thought about how lucky you are NOT to have opened a restaurant. I’m a highly experienced Chef and once had the crazy idea to own my own restaurant. I shelled out big bucks and started one. Little did I know that I had just forfeited all of my time to the "" Bottom less Pit” never knowing if I would have enough money to pay the help, light and gas, salaries, social fund payments, cost of food, and a million other things no body ever tells you about. Go out and talk to some restaurant owners and get there feed back.

That is interesting, but what would be more interesting is telling us what you did that was right..........and, more importantly, what you did that was wrong.

Did you have enough capital?

Was your location bad?

Did you open it in the wrong country? Etc.

Was it a bad idea? (e.g., were you trying to sell pork to Muslims?)

If you could do it again, what would you do to make it successful?

I have also found the standard of mex restaurants here VERY poor..Even the ones that come highly reccomended by the seasoned (pardon the pun) posters are a bit of a letdown..

My biggest gripe..NO MEAT,or VERY LITTLE!..i know beef is expensive but even the chicken dishes dont contain much more than 100 or so grams of meat.

I dont mind paying 300-400 or so, but when you walk out of the joint still hungry and having to go for noodles because you dont wanna spend another 400..it kinda leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Ive tried about 6 places of indian and mexican and each time i vow never again but still i keep getting roped in :)

Every Mexican restaurant I've visited here in Thailand has been sheer and utter crap. Awful. And the farang owners will tell you the Thais have not a wit of an idea on how to make it. Small wonder when it's really quite similar in some respects to Thai food insofar as it has chillies and lime. But that's as far as it goes.

Sounds like you have missed the one good, authentic Mexican restaurant in Bangkok: Tacos & Salsa, owned by a Mexico City native passionate about his home cuisine.

Sounds like you have missed the one good, authentic Mexican restaurant in Bangkok: Tacos & Salsa, owned by a Mexico City native passionate about his home cuisine.

Well i didnt miss Tacos & Salsa, i have eaten there with the wife it was ok but very average, dont think a return visit is on the cards....

Edited by beekaykay

and give him all of you money. Then go sit under the bridge and relax and have positive thought about how lucky you are NOT to have opened a restaurant. I'm a highly experienced Chef and once had the crazy idea to own my own restaurant. I shelled out big bucks and started one. Little did I know that I had just forfeited all of my time to the "" Bottom less Pit" never knowing if I would have enough money to pay the help, light and gas, salaries, social fund payments, cost of food, and a million other things no body ever tells you about. Go out and talk to some restaurant owners and get there feed back.

a mexican taqueria, isnt your typical restaraunt, everythings pre-prepared just scoop, roll, cut and serve.

nothing like a typical restaurant where each dish must be prepared specifically.

most restaraunts fail because the owners are too lazy to do the work themselves.

to the OP, make sure you have 6 months worth of emergency funds, the 6 months are the hardest.

oh and - nachos using velveeta cheese please, and make your own sour cream, most places here buy it and spend about 10 times what they should, hence very little sour cream at almost all mexican places.

Thanks everyone for all the good comments and suggestions. I'm very happy to learn that most of the comments here are the same I felt about Mexican food here. So I think I'm going to the right direction now : ) and I think this topic is very useful for other owners of the Mexican restaurants in Thailand as well.