Curry

iainiain101

I just happened to have parked outside the curry house, I think the name is 'Peshwar' earlier tonight and ordered a take away.

It is less than 100m on the left after No1 Bar in the oposite direction to Loi Kroh. I do not think it is new, but maybe re opened?

I had the Aloo Ghobi, Chicken Vindaloo (on the bone) and a very good plain nam. (170 baht or so) allways plenty of rice at home!

I liked it, not trying to open a new debate on curries, but if you didnt know of it, not at all bad!

Iain

The New Delhi is definitely my favourite curry in Chiang Mai. Food takes a while to arrive but well worth the wait. Great service too. Does anyone know if the owner is back yet?

Will check out the Peshwar. Do they have eat in as well as take away?

The New Delhi is definitely my favourite curry in Chiang Mai. Food takes a while to arrive but well worth the wait.

There's no good Indian food to be had in CM, but in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Royal India used to be the most acceptable of the lot, but my new tolerable place is New Delhi. Yes' it take s while for the food to arrive, but that's because each dish is cooked separately as ordered with no mixing of pre-prepared sauces. While you wait, you can nip on down to the small used bookstore a few shops down.

I do hope New Delhi succeeds and is here to stay.

I agree that the New Delhi is slightly better than Royal India, but they do not have a thali (set meal) available in the evening and I end up spending 300-400 baht for a similar meal to the Royal India's 100 baht vegetarian thali.

If there was a giant difference in quality, I might be willing to pay extra, but for now, I am happier with the 100 baht meal at Royal India.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Just finished a garlic chicken curry (not on menu, but they made it for me) I also took away last night but was too full to eat. Got to say very good and added to it a Hinlay Beef curry from the freezer. Very good combo for me.

Just wish I had more of the Nam bread, it was definately the best I have had in Thailand.

Anyway, probably sounds like I own the place, not true, just enjoyed it and hope it doesnt close down as I will definately use it again.

Iain

I agree that the New Delhi is slightly better than Royal India, but they do not have a thali (set meal) available in the evening and I end up spending 300-400 baht for a similar meal to the Royal India's 100 baht vegetarian thali.

If there was a giant difference in quality, I might be willing to pay extra, but for now, I am happier with the 100 baht meal at Royal India.

lat I ate there, they had a veg (or meat) Thali for lunch. I didn't realize they don't have one for dinner. Their Vg thali had fewer varieties than Royal India, but I didn't mind because it was tastier and had way less oil than the food at Royal India.

Don't get me wrong. Royal India is not bad at all tasetwise and I would still go there; in terms of value for money, nothing else comes close.

I hardly ever eat Indian food at lunch time ( although from what ctrunfree said, it sounds like they don't have a lunch thali right now either), but I will admit that I am going for the cheaper option, rather than the better one - as long as both are pretty good.

The New Delhi is definitely my favourite curry in Chiang Mai. Food takes a while to arrive but well worth the wait.

There's no good Indian food to be had in CM, but in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Royal India used to be the most acceptable of the lot, but my new tolerable place is New Delhi. Yes' it take s while for the food to arrive, but that's because each dish is cooked separately as ordered with no mixing of pre-prepared sauces. While you wait, you can nip on down to the small used bookstore a few shops down.

I do hope New Delhi succeeds and is here to stay.

Agree with you on that, I'm back in the UK for another 5 weeks and will be filling myself with Indian food until I fly back to CM.

Looking to bring a load of herbs and spices back to cook my own, unless anyone has found somewhere to get them cheap in Chiang Mai?

I just happened to have parked outside the curry house, I think the name is 'Peshwar' earlier tonight and ordered a take away.

It is less than 100m on the left after No1 Bar in the oposite direction to Loi Kroh. I do not think it is new, but maybe re opened?

I had the Aloo Ghobi, Chicken Vindaloo (on the bone) and a very good plain nam. (170 baht or so) allways plenty of rice at home!

I liked it, not trying to open a new debate on curries, but if you didnt know of it, not at all bad!

Iain

The good nan and the restaurant name intrigue me. Peshawar in Pakistan would be the place to find good kebabs and nans. (The vindaloo is something from the other end of India, but that may be a concession to customer expectations.) So did they have kebabs on the menu and did you try them?

Also please pin down the location a bit more - is the soi at the moat end or the night bazaar end of loi kroh?

This past spring, I spent 2 months traveling around the southern half of India. I ate in indoor and outdoor places frequented by lower to middle class Indian folks. The street food although tasty enough was usually boring so I was pretty disappointed in "Indian" food :). The Indian food I used to eat in NYC was definitely tastier. Maybe it wasn't authentic Indian.

I primarily eat vegetarian and love very spicy foods. Couldn't wait to return to CM for some "Indian" style vegetarian food at the local temples.

Looking to bring a load of herbs and spices back to cook my own, unless anyone has found somewhere to get them cheap in Chiang Mai?

There's an Indian spice shop inside Wararoot market. Just ask any vendor and they'll point you to it. When my mum visist, she likes to cook for me and she says she's gotten everything she's needed there.

The good nan and the restaurant name intrigue me. Peshawar in Pakistan would be the place to find good kebabs and nans. (The vindaloo is something from the other end of India, but that may be a concession to customer expectations.) So did they have kebabs on the menu and did you try them?

Also please pin down the location a bit more - is the soi at the moat end or the night bazaar end of loi kroh?

The owner said he was from Pakistan but was doing a bit of a mix. They may have had kebabs, I didnt really look in detail.

It is the moat end of Loi Kroh. Basically the first rigt as you leave the moat, past No1. Bar and then it is on your left. There is one of those water vending machines outside.

Iain

curry ... ??????

in this heat .... are you nuts ???? ..... no offence but ill stick to ferang food

Hot mint tea in Morocco ... tea and the hottest curries in the hottest Indian states ... jalapeño peppers in Mexico ... 'Scotch Bonnet' peppers in the Caribbean ... etc.

The locals have their reasons! Although fair enough, in this humidity, we don't need much help to get a good sweat going :)

There's an Indian spice shop inside Wararoot market. Just ask any vendor and they'll point you to it. When my mum visist, she likes to cook for me and she says she's gotten everything she's needed there.

Thanks, I'll take a look when I get back, you've saved me a bit of space in my luggage :)

Thanks, I'll take a look when I get back, you've saved me a bit of space in my luggage :)

Yup - they carry most of what you need. I think they even have 'hing' - asaefotida, and also brown cardamom (both a little rarer than the 'regular' spices).

I am pretty sure they don't have any pickles (lime, mango etc), or any curry pastes, but I might be wrong on that. Pickles are easy to find in Bangkok - stock up there and mail them to CM...

Also, they do not have any Indian snacks - Bombay mix, Chevdo, Dal Moth, etc., but those are also easy to find in Bkk.

I liked New Delhi best (will try Loi Kroh when I get back to CM), but I still satisfy most of my Indian cravings with the 'ready-to-eat' pouches of vegie Indian food (can't find them yet in CM 'though).

I am pretty sure they don't have any pickles (lime, mango etc), or any curry pastes, but I might be wrong on that. Pickles are easy to find in Bangkok - stock up there and mail them to CM...

Also, they do not have any Indian snacks - Bombay mix, Chevdo, Dal Moth, etc., but those are also easy to find in Bkk.

Some pickles are available in Chiangmai's Rimping supermarket now, but you'll likely get better ones in BKK.

Indian Snacks like Chevdo and Bombay Mix: Where in Bkk can I get them please? Phone number if possible, thanks.

I ate at the Peshwar on Loi Kroh soi 1 last night. We were the only customers, ordered the chicken curry, black dahl, garlic nan and briani rice. The curry was pretty good, we ordered it spicy hot but was still pretty mild, not too oily. The dahl was good, well spiced. Garlic nan was strangely tangy, like sour dough bread, odd. Briani rice full of nice complex flavor. Based on the acceptable quality of my very small sampeling of their menue I will want to return try some of their other dishes. The nan and dahl at New Delhi is still my favorite.

Some pickles are available in Chiangmai's Rimping supermarket now, but you'll likely get better ones in BKK.

Indian Snacks like Chevdo and Bombay Mix: Where in Bkk can I get them please? Phone number if possible, thanks.

There is a large Indian area south of Charoenkrung Rd. (south of Old Siam Center and the Royal Theater). One street in that area with many Indian shops is called Chak Pet (Chakrapeth) Rd.

Lots of stuff in that area - snacks, pickles, restaurants, sari shops, pharmacies, etc., etc.

There is a large Indian area south of Charoenkrung Rd. (south of Old Siam Center and the Royal Theater). One street in that area with many Indian shops is called Chak Pet (Chakrapeth) Rd.

Lots of stuff in that area - snacks, pickles, restaurants, sari shops, pharmacies, etc., etc.

Thanks. I don't spend much time in BKK except to change flights, but next time I'm there, I'll stay a day and visit this area.