Did Not Do 90 Day Report For Almost 10 Years

I have a friend who's last arrival was in September 1999. He has an marriage Visa and till now he never reported his 90 day's, and not any immigration officer, till recently made any remark about it. Last month when he did go for his annual extension at Suan Phlu they put a stamp in his passport that he have to report every 90 day's. Now he is worried that he will get seriuos problems because he never did any reporting.

The last 10 years my friend did not leave the country, but now he is planning a trip for a few day's to Singapore and hes afraid that when he use his re-entry visa he will have problem and have to pay an heavy fee because he did not report. He calculated that it could be more than 500 000 baht.

Does anyone have some advise to avoid this?

Thanks again in advance for the given advice

No problem but it may cost him a 2,000 Baht fine when he next reports.

But when is his report date? Way way back? Think he will just have to go to immigration and confess, pay the fine and get new reporting date for going forwards. I think the Op is referring to a slip put in the passport reminding of the needs to report, rather than it being a reporting date.

Edited by thaiphoon

I have a friend who's last arrival was in September 1999. He has an marriage Visa and till now he never reported his 90 day's, and not any immigration officer, till recently made any remark about it. Last month when he did go for his annual extension at Suan Phlu they put a stamp in his passport that he have to report every 90 day's. Now he is worried that he will get seriuos problems because he never did any reporting.

The last 10 years my friend did not leave the country, but now he is planning a trip for a few day's to Singapore and hes afraid that when he use his re-entry visa he will have problem and have to pay an heavy fee because he did not report. He calculated that it could be more than 500 000 baht.

This has happened, as I uderstand, to a lot of long staying expats.

Friend of mine arrives 12 years ago, never went back, and now all of a sudden he has to report every 890 days.

No further problems.

Just turning up or sending in, every 90 days.

The fine for not reporting should be 2000 baht.

If payable at all.

Edited by hansnl

Unless I am mistaken the counter is set back to 0 when you (re) enter the country. Therefore there is a fine when one is late for reporting (2,000 baht flat fee) or iis caught .

In this case the person will be entering the country therefore nothing to worry (but I guess this will be confirmed or contradicted by more knowledgeable posters)

Therefore there is a fine when one is late for reporting (2,000 baht flat fee) or iis caught.

I am not sure but the fine is much higher should anyone be caught

//Edit: change text format of quoted text back to the original format. It is wrong and against forum rules to make changes in the quoted text.

Edited by Maestro
Added edit note - Maestro

Therefore there is a fine when one is late for reporting (2,000 baht flat fee) or iis caught.

//Edit: change text format of quoted text back to the original format. It is wrong and against forum rules to make changes in the quoted text.

Ooops Sorry

I was not aware of that as I just wanted to highlight the passage

I am taking noe of it

Thanks

Does I understand you correct that he only have to pay a 2000 Baht fine for not reporting 10 years? And will he have no problems when he ask a re-entry permit?

Sorry for insisting but I like to be sure before I tell him.

No problem, I've never been stopped at Swampy or Don Muang nor has a friend who has been on a retirement visa for 7 years and never reported. I only report in fits and starts depending on whether Nong Khai are accepting mailed reports, they just started again so I did one.

As stated if it goes tits up 2000 baht but DON'T go to Immigration and confess. If he has a change of heart and decides to report after his return, do it 90 days after re-entry, NO Problem, 90 day reports are not kept on computer YET!

i wish OPs would not say they think this or that - - the max fine for non reporting is 2,000 THB one off - and if someone should leave the country to my knowledge it is never acted on if the slip is missing from the passport - also i have know people to have their visa renewed year after year without any problems and the 90 day issue never comes up - just luck - dont think so -- just pay the fine if staying and and start afresh - would be really amazing to get an accurate figure via survey to the actual number of people who have never reported and how long they have stayed in each instance - think the figures would amaze - its not as if your going to be deported for not doing the drudge of the 90 day visits - for what purpose are they required anyway - just another case of a wasted exercise created to annoy the expats haaa

Immigration act of 1979. For anybody that thinks reporting is something that was just made up by some official in goverment.

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with thefollowing.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing ,concerning his place of stay , as soon aspossible upon expiration of ninety days.

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

Normal fine is 2000 baht according to immigration policy.

I suspect that if immigration put the normal slip of paper in his passport it has a date telling him when his next report is.

If they were going to fine him they would of done it when he did his extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

OP tell your friend no to worry. MY first 4 years in LOS I was a single guy and never reported. Through my own boneheaded ignorance I got confused between 90 day reporting and my condo manager being required to notify the authorities that I was living there.

When I found out the truth I was sweating it when I did my extension. I lived in BKK at the time so this was at Suan Plu. Paranoid thoughts of arrest and deportation flew through my head. Would they pick me up on it?

I decided to 'fess up rather than constantly worry about it.

The immi officer couldn't have cared less. No raised eyebrows. NO blokes with handcuffs ready to take me away in a Black Maria. Nothing. They even let me try to plead my case with the officer in charge when I explained my stupidity. She didn't let me off though!

Standard fine. Nothing extra for 4 years of not reporting.

You'll find that the flat fine only applies if you go to immi and admit you haven't reported. In the event of you being found out involuntarily then immi have the discretion to fine you more.

Edited by mca

they put a stamp in his passport that he have to report every 90 day's."

Last week someone scanned a similar stamp put in his passport, a FULL page notice of the 90-day reporting requirement. Did anyone save that one? I didn't and now can't locate the post via a search.

FULL page! Ouch, some people aren't able to get free additional passport pages.

Mac

Immigration act of 1979. For anybody that thinks reporting is something that was just made up by some official in goverment.
Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with thefollowing.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing ,concerning his place of stay , as soon aspossible upon expiration of ninety days.

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

Normal fine is 2000 baht according to immigration policy.

I suspect that if immigration put the normal slip of paper in his passport it has a date telling him when his next report is.

If they were going to fine him they would of done it when he did his extension.

Actually the officer doing extensions knows nothing of the 90day reporting on most occasions, all they know is that they must attach the slip. So they would not have known about if the OP had done the 90days or not.

It appears to me that the 90 day reporting is separate from the visa extensions and the 2 do not cross reference with each other. The reporting has only been enforced again in the last couple of years.

I think he should just leave the country and when he returns just start the 90 day reporting from when he returns. There is no stamp in the passport about the confirming the 90 day reporting, just the slip of paper.

All depend on him. if he pays the fine, it appears to be a one of not calculated daily. (not really sure)

Best of luck

It is not a stamp it is a slip of paper stapled to the passport.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a91819-...esized.jpg.html

Ah, thanks, hadn't noticed the staple before.

New format, tho, somewhat handier.

And for the folks who "can't be bothered" making the 90-day report, one day off in the never-never, this data base will be tied into Departure Control at Swampy and the other exit points, and the fine will be assessed.

Anyone know if Ayuttaya is accepting mail-in reports these days? A few months back they weren't.

Mac

No problem, I've never been stopped at Swampy or Don Muang nor has a friend who has been on a retirement visa for 7 years and never reported. I only report in fits and starts depending on whether Nong Khai are accepting mailed reports, they just started again so I did one.

As stated if it goes tits up 2000 baht but DON'T go to Immigration and confess. If he has a change of heart and decides to report after his return, do it 90 days after re-entry, NO Problem, 90 day reports are not kept on computer YET!

Jomtien do them on the computer, a friend didnt do his for one year, he thought the lawyer was handling stuff like that, Immi officer at non b extension just said dont forget it this year, no fine.

Everybody write about the slip immigration pin your pasport for the 90 day's reporting,

My friend told me that they put a big red stamp in it.

That print is divided in 2 parts,

first part; the 90 day's notification

second part; warnong that you must apply for a re-entry Visa or your 1 year visa extension will be void if don't have it.

Maybe this is a new thing, My friebd went to Suan Phlu last week.

It appears to me that the 90 day reporting is separate from the visa extensions and the 2 do not cross reference with each other.

Not entirely true from my experience. I've been here for 16 years and did not report for probably the first 12. Went to get my extension based on work and the immigration officer asked where my 90 day report was. Then she pointed to the place to do my 90 day report and I paid a fine for 2000 baht and they stamped my passport indicating a missed report and the fine amount. It was clear she would not continue with my extension until that was done. Have had no problems with extensions since.

----

second part; warnong that you must apply for a re-entry Visa or your 1 year visa extension will be void if don't have it.

---------------------

I think it's time you or someone scanned the passport and show us exactly what he has! Sure he will loose his visa if going overseas without a 'Re Entry' visa but that reminder is not usually stamped into the passport just stapled as well as the 90 day reporting reminder.

Edited by bdenner

1. Tha max fine is 5,000 baht - if you do not pay it can increase at 200 baht per day until paid (although that clause {200 baht per day} in English is not very clear so the exact defination might have to be decided by a court if taken that far). In practice the fine is 2,000 baht normally if you go to pay - and only 4,000 if told to pay.

2. These reports are indeed put into computer. And have been for a few years now. But until the last year or so it has not been actively enforced - but each year it seems to be getting more mainstream and tighter.

Edit: I expect that notice put in passport could be considered the trigger for 200 baht per day extra charge if they wish to take action. I would advise immediately start making 90 day reports on receipt of that notice.

Edited by lopburi3

----

---------------------

I think it's time you or someone scanned the passport and show us exactly what he has! Sure he will loose his visa if going overseas without a 'Re Entry' visa but that reminder is not usually stamped into the passport just stapled as well as the 90 day reporting reminder.

I've had that reminder about getting a Re-Entry permit stamped a couple of times when doing an extension at Suan Plu. Doesn't take up much room and I think it's a great idea.

Mac

post-32650-1251527378_thumb.jpg

Yes IMM Suan Plu does put a little notice stamp in the PP these days.

Here it is:

post-3742-1251527301_thumb.jpg

When I went for my extension the officer did have a look at the 90 days report stapled in my PP. Can't say if she would have asked for it if not present.

My suggestion to the OP:

If he has already got a re-entry permit then just go to the airport and on return the clock starts from 0, no fine!

If he still has to obtain the re-entry permit be prepared to pay a 2K fine.

opalhort

I know a guy that didnt report for 3 years, this year he went and had to pay a 2,000 fine and no other problems......he was actually at immigration getting a re entry stamp...left the country and came back all was OK

90 day reporting only started about 18 mkonths ago

BUT i am sure when he did is last extension they told him to reporty every 90 days and stamped it on his tm card.

Expect a 2,000 baht fine

What amazes me is the amount of people living here that do not know the laws....