Scuba Courses

brianhamic

Does anyone have any recommendations for dive schools on phuket?  i am looking to do a open water PADI course and would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks.    :o

I am in phuket now and planing for the same and want to even higher

level to dive master. They told me, i have to swim fxxing 400 meter to

pass the test?

I have done extensive research on choosing which dive outlet, i can give

you more info as i am online most times , if you can add my MSN hotmail

handle "cold_ko".

I am fit and strong guy for my size, but couldn't swim for 75-90 meters.

May be i'm not using my legs technicaly the right way .

I am looking for a professional swimmer who can help me with my swiming?

Give Seaworld Dive Team in Patong a call at 076 341 595, ask for Magali or Sacha, they can sort out everything you need.

Dive asia is the biggest best equipped outfit in Phuket. They have their own pool and training center in Kata. Their instructors are first class as are their boats and boat crews. Their prices are on a par with everyone else except I think they deliver better service and have better equipment.

I've done all my certificates with them and am now preparing to take the dive master course.

Edited by kasi

Give Seaworld Dive Team in Patong a call at 076 341 595, ask for Magali or Sacha, they can sort out everything you need.

Dive asia is the biggest best equipped outfit in Phuket. They have their own pool and training center in Kata. Their instructors are first class as are their boats and boat crews. Their prices are on a par with everyone else except I think they deliver better service and have better equipment.

I've done all my certificates with them and am now preparing to take the dive master course.

Can you tell,

-If the swim test done in swiming pool or sea?

-Was it exactly a 200 meter swim?

-How i can improve my swiming, I am 5feet 4.5 inches tall, muscular 145 Lbs,

and with realy strong long hands. Do you think i have lack of any technique

like not using or moving my body properly?

-Is Dive master 400 meter swim test by taken by a padi staff or the diving

center staff?

P.S i have check both Dive asia branchs (patong and Kata) they charge more

than other dive outlets in phuket.

Edited by ThaiGeared_HighThaied

Can you tell,

-If the swim test done in swiming pool or sea?

-Was it exactly a 200 meter swim?

-How i can improve my swiming, I am 5feet 4.5 inches tall, muscular 145 Lbs,

and with realy strong long hands. Do you think i have lack of any technique

like not using or moving my body properly?

-Is Dive master 400 meter swim test by taken by a padi staff or the diving

center staff?

P.S i have check both Dive asia branchs (patong and Kata) they charge more

than other dive outlets in phuket.

Hi!

Answers to your questions :o

Swim test can be done in the pool or in the sea, it must be non-stop and is no less than 200m. On the last Open Water course I took, I had my students do the test in the sea off Kata beach, after confined water dive session, along with the 10 minute float which is also required.

The 400m Divemaster swim is taken with dive centre staff, PADI staff don't get involved until you do your Instructor Examinations. Don't forget also it is a timed swim, you will be marked on how long it took you to complete the 400m.

I suspect your swim technique is behind your concerns regarding swim endurance and/or speed as there doesn't appear to be any physical reason for this.

I'm currently in China for a couple of weeks but if you're still having problems when I get back at the end of March I'd be happy to check out your swimming and perhaps find out where you could improve a little.

Chok dii!

PADI Instructor 475744

Hi!

Swim test can be done in the pool or in the sea, it must be non-stop and is no less than 200m. On the last Open Water course I took, I had my students do the test in the sea off Kata beach, after confined water dive session, along with the 10 minute float which is also required.

The 400m Divemaster swim is taken with dive centre staff, PADI staff don't get involved until you do your Instructor Examinations. Don't forget also it is a timed swim, you will be marked on how long it took you to complete the 400m.

I suspect your swim technique is behind your concerns regarding swim endurance and/or speed as there doesn't appear to be any physical reason for this.

I'm currently in China for a couple of weeks but if you're still having problems when I get back at the end of March I'd be happy to check out your swimming and perhaps find out where you could improve a little.

Chok dii!

PADI Instructor 475744

Hi,

Thank you for infos. I have some more question that other divers

might be intersted;

1-Do you have to take both 400meter swim and 800meter snorkel, or

just one of them?

2-Does snorkel test come with Swim suit (with PVC sponges for floating)

and snorkel put on?

3-Are swiming physical test are the hardest parts of test? are there

morephysical test for IE, IDC,... or they are just teorical?

4-Are CDC centers are realy better equipped and well organized

then other 5*****IDC center? Are certifications from CDC centers

carry more weight for it's credibility? If not, why they charge more

than others for their teaching?

5-Is having diving business or outlet profitable in thailand, or it's just

a reason for dive centers to be able to stay in thailand legaly, and

they are hardly surviving (they get their income from oversaes bank

accounts or abroad business)?

What you need to have or to do to be successfull in runing a diving

business? Are Bangkok and pattaya are recommanded in any way?

6-Which Dive center you work for? and your details in case i need to meet

up with you

U would might like to PM me the answers to question 5 and 6, due to it's ...

Thanks

Edited by ThaiGeared_HighThaied

Hi!

Chok dii!

PADI Instructor 475744

Hi,

Thank you for infos. I have some more question that other divers

might be intersted;

1-Do you have to take both 400meter swim and 800meter snorkel, or

just one of them?

You must do both and they're both timed.

2-Does snorkel test come with Swim suit (with PVC sponges for floating)

and snorkel put on?

I did my 800m snorkel in shorty wetsuit, fins, mask & snorkel. No other aids allowed.

3-Are swiming physical test are the hardest parts of test? are there

morephysical test for IE, IDC,... or they are just teorical?

I.E/IDC includes practical and theory exercises and exams. The physical tests are no harder than the ones at DM level.

4-Are CDC centers are realy better equipped and well organized

then other 5*****IDC center? Are certifications from CDC centers

carry more weight for it's credibility? If not, why they charge more

than others for their teaching?

I cannot disparage fellow diving professionals or organisations. From personal experience though, when seeking out a place to do my IDC/I.E I concentrated more on the course director who would be taking the course rather than whether he worked for a CDC, 5* IDC or otherwise centre. Don't forget course directors, who are the only people qualified to run an IDC, can and do move about. Therefore it's possible for a CDC to have a new course director in place who may or may not be better than the course director running an IDC down the road who works in a 'Gold Palm resort' for example. As for price, you just have to do a bit of research, ask a few face to face questions and make up your own mind as to whether you'll get value for money. Of course, value for money often doesn't equate to the cheapest deal.

5-Is having diving business or outlet profitable in thailand, or it's just

a reason for dive centers to be able to stay in thailand legaly, and

they are hardly surviving (they get their income from oversaes bank

accounts or abroad business)?

What you need to have or to do to be successfull in runing a diving

business? Are Bangkok and pattaya are recommanded in any way?

I don't find teaching diving particularly profitable, it's more of a lifestyle choice since I genuinely love it. I also have a far more profitable job in Europe for 5 months during the summer which makes things easier. I don't own my own dive centre but many people I know in the industry in Phuket do make a reasonable living from it. I've dived extensively in Koh Tao and even more so on the west coast, which I think is the best in Thailand. I'd imagine Pattaya would be in 3rd place behind these two but I've never had any inclination to go there. As for Bangkok, well, you're probably gonna be diving in Pattaya.

6-Which Dive center you work for? and your details in case i need to meet

up with you

I've PM'd you

U would might like to PM me the answers to question 5 and 6, due to it's ...

Thanks

If your looking for a bloke or blokette to do a PADI instructor course have a look at the Sofetel Mochit in Bangkok as gthe y will all be assembled their on the 30th of this month for an annual fest that precludes the ADEX Dive Show.....One coulld check out the lot but show up early as the have reg at 0745......Now that is a how tip

• 2 weeks later...