Report:99% Of “american Breakfast” Served In Phuket

churchill

I am getting hungry reading all this. Before I have dinner I just checked wikipedia on "Full Breakfast"

here are "some" of the ingredients:

Some of the additional ingredients that may be included in (or served in addition to) a full breakfast are:

Now I really feel like an "old tomcat peeping in a seafood store".

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there's the lack of good breads. Thais can't be expected to understand the difference between good quality bread and starch slabs, as they're a rice-based culture. Maybe some will learn bye and bye, just as some Thais are able to learn that a real sandwich has loads of yummy things between good quality bread - winding up being about 3 to 4 inches thick. In the meantime, a sandwich in Thailand will more likely be two little starch slabs with 2 mm of colored sugar between.

The important thing with bread is that its all in the flower used. import the wrong sort and it likely will never make good bread. Add that many Thais prefer the soggy white and tasteless bread and its clear there is a problem... However I had a similar problem moving from Holland to England and until I had a chat with a local baker who told me to show him the flower and yeast I used I never found out what was wrong and I changed the 'wrong' part and the breads became good... I had a similar problem here in Thailand and there is special flower being delivered to Thailand but using it was tricky and I gave up...

Yeast is here normally not a problem as the packets of various yeast's are imported.

The important thing with bread is that its all in the flower used. import the wrong sort and it likely will never make good bread.

Absolutely spot on!

As a Dutchman you undoubtedly cleave to the ground tulip but the Thai inevitably favour pounded orchid which may well explain your disappointment.

Churchill,

I loved the article and, reading the other posts, it is obvious that many TVers don't know a joke when they read it. Brilliant.

One of my favorite websites is www.theonion.com - full of satire that will leave TVers baffled.

Edited by hhgz

Grits are course ground corn. Polenta would be a close equivalent, or a corn gruel (I think that is what it is called in England), but drier. Usually they are served with butter, salt and fresh ground black pepper and are wonderful with eggs and bacon or sausage.

Hope it helps clear it up. :)

the biscuits sound good but corn gruel? you mean like in Oliver Twist? please sir can I have some more?

In a decent English cafe (pronounced 'caff') if you can still find one! you will get several choices of 'English breakfasts' sausage bacon eggs (fried how you want them not always yolks hard) beans toast or fried bread mushrooms tomatoes a cup of tea that the spoon stands up in and the company of lots of builders who have already done a couple of hours 'work' (unloaded their van)

The variations of these ingredients will usually be displayed on posters and described as breakfasts numbered 1-4 or however many variations you can think of.

For me, it's scrambled eggs on toast with beans and sausage, strong black coffee and orange juice followed by 40 winks in front of the telly :-)

Gawd bless yer eyes mi'lord yer a toff an no mistake!

when i was in Karon i only tried to get anything close to this once...didn't expect the beans...got hot bread swimming around in the water that the 'scrambled' eggs had presumably been cooked in. Ate about half of it (no i don't know why!) from then on i forgot all about having any kind of english food :-)

I don't really eat too much first thing anyway, maybe coffee and oj. then after a bit of a stroll around thai food for lunch.

I reckon a 'full english' is ok for a wet wednesday in november at home but would be too much (for me anyway) in Thailand.

Interesting to see all the different variations on 'American breakfasts' those would defo have me fast akip after eating them.

So and what is a real American Breakfast then? What does it contains ? In my place I serve what I call an continental breakfast containing fried or scrambled eggs,real bacon,sausages,toast

butter,marmelade,and fresh coffee some cheese if avaiable and orange juice.

Would that satisfy you ?

Lovely, I will come to your place when my next vacation..you serve good stuffs...I am hungry already...Good luck with your business and have a good night..( my US time )

As an American, everytime I order eggs over easy, I end up with an egg that could be used in the Olympics as a discus or as a hockey puck. Ky mai sook does not ring a bell. You get what the cook wants to cook and not what you want. The sausage mentioned is a hot dog in no other words. About the only decent patty sausage I have found has been in Villa and it is made here in Thailand. Comes in mild, medium and hot spicy flavors. In the south of the US, grits are the thing. I have found grits in Villa but as a rule, have them brought in from the states. I don't think there is such a thing as an American breakfast, even in the US. Just like som tom here in Thailand. Flavors differ everywhere here in Thailand. I would like to see English bangers in a breakfast. That would be the closet thing to American sausage. The English breakfast is not bad in the Pig and Whistle in Pattaya on Soi 7.

Edited by puyaidon

go to denny's and you'll know what an american breakfast it.fried or scrambled eggs,bacon and sausage,biscuits or toast,sausage gravy ,also pancakes and french toast served with maple syrup

OMG I am going to throw up just thinking about this. Americans eat this for breakfast? Whats for lunch and dinner, KFC McDonalds? No wonder Americans are overwieght and obese. What's wrong with a bit of vegemite on toast and a cup of tea.

Yes I know how you Americans feel. We Aussies have the same problem. Do you know how hard it is to find a Kangaroo steak, a couple of emu eggs sunnyside up, nice fresh hot damper and a nice billie tea with gum leaf. I haven't found a place that makes breakfast like this yet.