Not Detecting Wireless Router

tjansen

I have a puzzler, at least for me. I went to a friend's house today and tried to use the wireless router. My computer said "no wireless networks found in range." My friend got his computer out and detected and connected to it. Normally, if I have a problem connecting to a Wireless network, at least I can see the network on my 'view available wireless networks' page.

I checked my wireless network configuration, and the 'select IP address automatically' and the 'select DNS server address automatically' are both selected.

I was connected to a different wireless network earlier in the day, and it worked fine.

At home I use an ADSL hard wire, and that is still working normally.

Any ideas? I don't try to use my computer that often at that friend's house, so I am not having convulsions over it, but I am rather curious.

Thank you.

Tom

check if your wireless settings look similar

post-327-1251565058_thumb.jpg

I have a fairly new Acer Aspire 4730Z. My Advanced page doesn't show that options that your shows, like 'connect to any available network'

I do have the 'Use Windows to configure...' checked.

I have a puzzler, at least for me. I went to a friend's house today and tried to use the wireless router. My computer said "no wireless networks found in range." My friend got his computer out and detected and connected to it. Normally, if I have a problem connecting to a Wireless network, at least I can see the network on my 'view available wireless networks' page.

I checked my wireless network configuration, and the 'select IP address automatically' and the 'select DNS server address automatically' are both selected.

I was connected to a different wireless network earlier in the day, and it worked fine.

At home I use an ADSL hard wire, and that is still working normally.

Any ideas? I don't try to use my computer that often at that friend's house, so I am not having convulsions over it, but I am rather curious.

Thank you.

Tom

Are you using windows XP? Check the wireless security settings. If you don't have service pack 3 on the machine and you are using WPA2 on the router it won't find the wireless network. I have seen this before ( I work in IT) As soon as you do the upgrade to SP3 it will find it and you can connect. On a side note WPA security (version 1) has been cracked so I do recommend using WPA2. If you don't want to upgrade your OS though you can use WPA and it will then connect. Hope this helps.

As mentioned above, WPA2 and an old OS could cause this. Also, it may be worth checking that your wireless adapter supports the 802.11 standard that the router is using, B/G/N. The router may be set to G only, and your adapter might only support B.

Perhaps router was set up to be hidden?

yes - maybe the wireless AP was not broadcasting its SSID

It looks like the answer might be in these replies. In order...

1) I have gotten over the habit of not making sure the wireless button is on. That has happened in the past, but not now.

2) One thing that might answer some of your questions. I use Windows XP and have Automatic Update turned on. I noticed I got an update just a few days ago.

3) I believe I have Service Pack 3 or equivalent. As implied, my XP is licensed, and I get updates. I am not certain that that means I have SP 3. Now that I re-read your posts, I see it is WPA3 that was mentioned. I don't know what that means.

4) Bottom line, you have given me some clues on what to try. Unfortunately, or maybe not, it will be at least a week or so before I can get back over there to try out your suggestions. I will let you know the results after that.

5) One answer that could be helpful. How would I know if the Wireless router is set up to be hidden?

6) Oh, and one more question to Bruce, what steps do I take to check out your suggestion? I am pretty much of an techno-idiot, but I can follow detailed instructions

Thanks for all of the input.

Tom

Perhaps router was set up to be hidden?

yes - maybe the wireless AP was not broadcasting its SSID

It looks like the answer might be in these replies. In order...

1) I have gotten over the habit of not making sure the wireless button is on. That has happened in the past, but not now.

2) One thing that might answer some of your questions. I use Windows XP and have Automatic Update turned on. I noticed I got an update just a few days ago.

3) I believe I have Service Pack 3 or equivalent. As implied, my XP is licensed, and I get updates. I am not certain that that means I have SP 3. Now that I re-read your posts, I see it is WPA3 that was mentioned. I don't know what that means.

4) Bottom line, you have given me some clues on what to try. Unfortunately, or maybe not, it will be at least a week or so before I can get back over there to try out your suggestions. I will let you know the results after that.

5) One answer that could be helpful. How would I know if the Wireless router is set up to be hidden?

6) Oh, and one more question to Bruce, what steps do I take to check out your suggestion? I am pretty much of an techno-idiot, but I can follow detailed instructions

Thanks for all of the input.

Tom

For 3) on the desktop, right-click on My Computer, the first screen will tell you if you have SP3.

for 5) your friend needs to log in to his wireless router and ensure that "Broadcast SSID" is turned on. He may also have MAC address filtering turned on, in which case he needs to add the MAC address of your computer to his list.

hope that helps

there are channels allowed per country and some equipements are limited to few channels.

back in the old times i liked to use the channel 14(japan) for my wifi but my neighbours couldn't see it with his mac.