The Beer Thread

olddog

When I lived in Bangkok. I'd drink "Beer Sing", or Heineken, or Tiger, or, when I could get it, Beer Lao. I never even tried Beer Leo, because I thought that it was lo-so (you don't find it in faranged-up bars or restaurants), and that my tastes were more refined than those of the average tuk-tuk driver.

Now I live in Issan, and a miraculous change has come over me. Beer Leo is, absolutely and indisputably, the way to go. I started drinking it because where I live it's the most easily available, and I got tired of paying premium prices for beer I didn't really like (Sing and Heineken). I was amazed. It's a great drink. Now, when I think I (and millions of tuk-tuk drivers) must be out of our heads, and I try Singha or Heineken or Tiger as a "treat", they taste absolutely terrible - sweet and insipid. On visits to Bangkok I always ask for Leo in swanky farang pubs and they always look at me as if I'm either mad and/or a tuk-tuk driver.

I don't get commission from Beer Leo for this, by the way (I wish I did!), but I always look forward to my cold bottle of Leo with my stir-fry at lunch, served by a smiling Issan girl. How could life be better? By paying for "premium brand" swill? I don't think so!

First time in Thailand started with Chiang but (nobody told me about the morning after skull busters) changed quickly to heineken and

after discovering Leo haven't drank anything else......maybe the odd heineken

I was the same, tried Singha & Heineken first cos I knew them. Hated Chang and if nothing else is available, drink Archa. Leo is my choice here in Isaan now that Isaan Beer seems to have disappeared after only a short while.

:)

Dave

As far as Thai beer goes , Leo is the best ,in my opinion.

Chang is for die hards , slighty cheaper than Leo , but well worth avoiding the morning after death feeling.

Sing....as you say ....is sweet for some reason,,,,dont get on with it.

Heineken is nice ,, but a box of 660ml bottles is at least 50% more expsensive than a box of Leo in Lotus.

Archer and the rest ,,,,,just not nice.

I lived in Singapore for a long time and drank only Tiger, but has the same head from hel_l as Chang,,,,well maybe not that bad ,but bad.

In fact,,,its only almost 8 a.m. and you got me trying a Leo already!!!

Just as well the Leo shop is within sight,,,,,and its open.

Cheers

"How many times is this question going to be asked??" - as many times as there's someone who feels like asking it, and someone who feels like answering "How many times is this question going to be asked??"

"- Carta Blanca (unavailable in LOS)

- Tecate (unavailable in LOS)

- Pilsner Urquel (unavailable in LOS)" - thanks for the useful information. Now I know what not to ask for at the 7.

The Chang thing. Getting Chang-ed up is part of the initiation into Thailand. But having done it twice is exactly two times too many for me. Waking up with what feels like a buffalo skull (complete with horns) taking the place of your own, and your mouth tasting like a Sumo thong (I imagine) is not my idea of anything except hel_l. And isn't Chang Lite a contradiction in terms? Like Death Camp Holiday? I have to admire people who drink it regularly, though. They have to be from another planet.

Local Thai government workers like to show off a few bottles of Heineken on the drinks stand. Me, I'm proud to drink Thailand's Greatest Beer (note to Leo execs reading this: free samples welcome).

Leo seems to get the thumbs up so far - so why isn't it more widely available in farang bars and restaurants? And does anybody know what it's made of? I'd love to know.

I've often asked myself about the Leo thing. Why is it not avaible in bars and reasturants outside Isaan?

Someone must have some kind of conspiricy theory as to why this is?

I just had a moment of zen-like clarity (brought on by a chilled bottle of Leo); Singha and Leo are brewed by the same company. If they started selling Leo in all their farang outlets, after a brief period of acclimatisation most of their sales would be from Leo, with a consequent drop in sales for their "premium" brand.

Maybe?

Also - anybody know how they make beer in Thailand?

I've often asked myself about the Leo thing. Why is it not avaible in bars and reasturants outside Isaan?

Depending on where you live and/or the company you keep Leo is perceived by some to be a beverage consumed by the low class masses.

Leo was introduced by the Boon Rawd brewery (makers of Singha) in an attempt to compete with the Chang end of the market.

Leo is available in bars and restaurants outside of Issan, usually those at the bottom end of the market.

However just like Chang I have never seen it for sale in upmarket hotels or restaurants.

I drink Chang, then Leo if no Chang, then Singha. Will not drink Heineken under any circumstance, would rather have water, juice, or a coke if the only beer is Heineken.

Imported beers are in a different category and don't follow this rule.

Hoegarden and Duvel are nice but too expensive and not widely available.

I like Singha, actually this is what I drink in the Thai restaurants here in Cambodia. Never cared for Chang much, and hate both Heineken and Jarlsberg. Never tried Leo, must try and find one in BKK this weekend.

I like Singha, actually this is what I drink in the Thai restaurants here in Cambodia. Never cared for Chang much, and hate both Heineken and Jarlsberg. Never tried Leo, must try and find one in BKK this weekend.

If you eat in what looks like a genuine Thai restaurant (ie half on the street, with toilet rolls on tin tables) it's 100% certain they sell Leo. If you like Singha, there's a fair bet you won't want to drink it again after Leo.

Still no answer to the "what's in it?" question? Nobody knows? No hops, right?

Heineken used to be good beer, as I remember it, about 30 years ago in the UK. Maybe my tastes have changed, but it could be the beer just isn't as good. Like most of the posters here, I think it's undrinkable. All it has is global marketing and a brand that inspires confidence in Germanic values.

Beer Lao is seen as lo-so by the Thais, but always beats out Sing/Tiger in blind tastings. They still can't bring themselves to buy it, though.

You can get Hoegarden in Tescos along with Duval...pretty pricey, but worth it now and then.

I've sent an email to Boonrawd Brewery's "PR Department" (the link is on their totally uninformative website), asking them (in the nicest possible way) what's in Beer Leo, and why isn't it available in farangeries in Bangkok.

As their "PR Department" is inevitably a twenty year-old girl who can't speak English and spends all her time chatting to her friends on the internet, I hold out NO hope for an answer but will keep you informed!

I just had a moment of zen-like clarity (brought on by a chilled bottle of Leo); Singha and Leo are brewed by the same company. If they started selling Leo in all their farang outlets, after a brief period of acclimatisation most of their sales would be from Leo, with a consequent drop in sales for their "premium" brand.

Maybe?

Also - anybody know how they make beer in Thailand?

I think you may be onto something there. Personally I swear by Leo (and often swear after drinking Leo).

The brewers must be very rich to keep one of their own products off the market, in order to promote another. I suspect that more evil plans are at play. I think that they want to keep the best stuff for themselves.

I don't know how they make beer in Thailand. It is usuallly better to not ask how a magican how he performs his tricks :)