Not Surprised So Many Drown At Karon When You See This

phuketrex

Stopped to have a look at the beach this afternoon when passing. Big waves yet 20 or so people in the water despite the red flags and the warning signs. They have some very small sections of 30 metres wide or so immediately in front of the lifeguard tower with 50% red/50% yellow flags which as the signs say>>> "marks out the area of the beach patrolled by lifeguards. The area of the beach between the flags is the safe area to swim, bodyboard and use inflatables!"

Yet those areas are no more safe than the whole length of the beach. They should say "it is just as dangerous to swim in these areas but because we are close by if you get into trouble we will try to save you."

I was only there a few minutes and guess what happened!!? There was a farang couple quite a long way out in the big surf further along the beach and this Thai went down to the shoreline with his board and was trying to get them to come out the water. Took him several minutes to get their attention and for them to come out.

So I get home and I'm writing this then what do I see!!

A Russian guy drowned on Karon TODAY near midday!!!!

These pics are just 3 hours after!!!>>>

S6301120.jpg

S6301126.jpg

S6301123.jpg

S6301127.jpg

At nai harn beach yesterday a thai man (clearly drunk) was swimming / falling / floating in the surf. About jumped in for him but realized he was staggering in. No life guards in sight at all. I went to the lifeguard station up the beach and all were drinking with friends as truck playing loud music. Clearly a party of sorts. Told him about the thai man drinking and he thanked us and went to tell him to get out. Thai lifeguards are not like the guards I have seen on California or Australia beaches. Don't count on them.

The life guards in Australia many years ago had a harness they wore with a real of line attached and if they got into problems they could be realed back to shore, today they use jetskis (the only ones allowed on swimming beaches by the way), the life guards here have no such equipment and when stupid tourists go into the surf now they have erected the warnig signs (well overdue by the way) why should they risk there lifes when they have no proper equipment.

The life guards in Australia many years ago had a harness they wore with a real of line attached and if they got into problems they could be realed back to shore, today they use jetskis (the only ones allowed on swimming beaches by the way), the life guards here have no such equipment and when stupid tourists go into the surf now they have erected the warnig signs (well overdue by the way) why should they risk there lifes when they have no proper equipment.

As you can see in my pics the Thai guy was ready to go out on a surfboard if necessarry to help. They have a couple of kayaks up in the tower too..but this is only down at the north end.

I have zero sympathy for idiot tourists that swim in dangerous surf.

No lifeguard should have to risk his or her life to attempt a rescue.

Often the lifeguards tell these tourists, please do not go in or stay close to shore, but are ignored.

How hard is it to use some common sense?

How hard is it to use some common sense?

Why is it called common sense when it is not that common?

The question that has no answer.

Personally, from what I've seen, many tourists have the "I am on holiday and I can do whatever I want" thing in their head. Doesn't matter if its stupid, dangerous or inconveniences or angers those around them. And then, when the shit hits the fan, they blame everyone else for not telling them it wasn't safe. How is going into the water when there are red flags out and it says its unsafe any different from tourists who rent motorbikes with no knowledge of how to drive and then proceed to drive drunk and shirtless?

Personally, from what I've seen, many tourists have the "I am on holiday and I can do whatever I want" thing in their head. Doesn't matter if its stupid, dangerous or inconveniences or angers those around them. And then, when the shit hits the fan, they blame everyone else for not telling them it wasn't safe. How is going into the water when there are red flags out and it says its unsafe any different from tourists who rent motorbikes with no knowledge of how to drive and then proceed to drive drunk and shirtless?

The answer is:

Most Farangs are domestic animals, who will not survive 30 minutes without electricity and who will not find their way home from their favourite supermarkets without GPS. And when in trouble, they call 112 (911) and expect emergency doctor, fire fighters, rescue staff and police to be with them within 3 minutes. In my home country, police would get them out of the water, with a nice fine to remember, but in Thailand, it's "up to you". Well, even the "Coin of Freedom" has it's two sides. And if stupid people do not want to take care for themselfes, nature will, for sure... :):D:D

Sorry for all victims of "real" accidents, and for all life guards, who risk or even sacrifice their lifes trying to save other ones.

Ralf

Although I understand the sentiment, I would like to disagree with those who suggest that people who enter the water be fined when red flags are posted. People should be informed of the risk, but then left to decide whether to take that risk or not. The signs could post the number of drownings this season as a more forceful warning.

As a TV member commented on a related thread, if you have the proper respect for the ocean's power, know how to dive under waves, and can power swim to calmer water if in trouble, then you should be all right. I go in the water every week throughout the year at Kata and Kata Noi and it is a wonderful experience, and provides much of the motivation for me to stay in Phuket year-round.

Although I understand the sentiment, I would like to disagree with those who suggest that people who enter the water be fined when red flags are posted. People should be informed of the risk, but then left to decide whether to take that risk or not. The signs could post the number of drownings this season as a more forceful warning.

As a TV member commented on a related thread, if you have the proper respect for the ocean's power, know how to dive under waves, and can power swim to calmer water if in trouble, then you should be all right. I go in the water every week throughout the year at Kata and Kata Noi and it is a wonderful experience, and provides much of the motivation for me to stay in Phuket year-round.

Kata is far far safer than Karon. You'll rarely experience a riptide there because the gradient of the seabed near the shoreline is far less than at Karon. Can't recall anyone drowning at Kata this year but Karon is now at 8 or 9?

Now if everybody was Superman like you,there wouldnt be any drownings no no life guards needed too.Have you ever been in the series BAYWATCH

True...it seems that Karon is a death trap this time of year. But still, the red flags are everywhere on Kata and Kata Noi despite the lack of rip tides there.

Since, phuketrex, you seem handy with the camera, could you try to snap a picture of a Karon rip tide? I saw the photo on another thread, but that was not a rip tide in Thailand or Phuket. I've looked for them on Kata and Kata Noi but they don't seem to materialize -- probably for the reasons you suggest.

I have just left Karon beach and witnessed a fight between tourists who wouldnt leave the water and thai lifeguards.These idiots were drinking bottles of heineken and swimming in the most dangerous part.It was the same yesterday and the lifeguards can only do so much.

Since, phuketrex, you seem handy with the camera, could you try to snap a picture of a Karon rip tide?

The second photo above seems to show a rip.

The area without waves, where a few idiots are swimming, seems to be a current taking the water out again.

Hang on a second. The conditions shown in the photos are what I, and about 200 others, swim in every day here in Australia during the winter months, i.e. now. In fact we would consider them mild. So before everyone gets on their high horses and advocates a rapid death for anyone who dares set foot into the water remember some of us are not namby pamby nanna's who cant swim. Gawd some people really need to find hobbies.

Edited by hagler

Hang on a second. The conditions shown in the photos are what I, and about 200 others, swim in every day here in Australia during the winter months, i.e. now. In fact we would consider them mild. So before everyone gets on their high horses and advocates a rapid death for anyone who dares set foot into the water remember some of us are not namby pamby nanna's who cant swim. Gawd some people really need to find hobbies.

Not advocating death, rather just repeating what the ALS states very clearly on its website and in its educational material.

The issue for those of us drawing a hard line on this is that the people usually getting into trouble, won't take responsibility for their decisions and then expect others to put their lives at risk to go rescue them.

For those that have never visited, I suggest a quick visit to the Australian Lifeguards website, in particular

http://www.lifeguards.com.au/Water_Safety/Rips

Even the best swimmers can run into problems. That's why the best swimmers stay alive by avoiding lethal surf conditions. I bet you that ALS folks don't seek out dangerous surf conditions to frolic.

Thai lifeguards are not like the guards I have seen on California or Australia beaches.

:D That's sad...not a very good development in Thailand...they could have known.....

post-13995-1251723467_thumb.jpg

On a more serious note: I almost drowned myself on Chaweng beach/Samui back in '90 trying to rescue a Thai boy....same type of waves.

I managed to save him but ended up in serious trouble myself and fought for my own life for 10 minutes; was saved by a smart Thai boy (on honeymoon with his wife) from BKK, throwing a buoy at me...without a rope :D

Than they formed a human chain of people and managed to take me out.

I was lucky! :)

LaoPo

Last year on Nai Harn I had a strong rip current try to pull me out to sea and this was a mere 15m from shore.. My GF was wrapped around me at the time and ...like most Thai girls...she can't swim a stroke. As the water was up over my waist and if I couldn't keep my balance, she was probably history. Geez, was it a tough one. I had no idea the current could be that strong. It was unreal and TG I slowly got out of it. I was totally knackered after it and the GF had no idea what was happening even though I was telling her to get ready for a bit a ducking Anyway she clung on like a barnacle to a ship and she thought it was all a hoot. The brain of a peanut. You are a lucky guy LaoPo

Never try to swim against it....swim across it. They are usually very narrow.

The body of the Russian who was swept away was found at 8:00am today according to news sources here in Phuket.

15gsfwh.jpg

Body of drowning victim found off Phuket

PHUKET, Sept 1 (TNA) - A body, suspected to be the corpse of the Russian tourist who was reported missing on Sunday in rough seas off the Thai resort island of Phuket, was found Tuesday morning.

Local rescue workers have searched for the 32-year-old Russian man, identified as Alexander Lukin, since he was reported missing while swimming at Karon beach.

The body was found Tuesday two kilometres from the spot that Mr Lukin was last reported seen while swimming.

As the remains were decomposing to the extent that the victim's friend was unable to identify it as Mr Lukin, local authorities have transferred the body for an autopsy and DNA test at Vajira Phuket Hospital.

Following Mr Lukin's accidental drowning, Phuket officials raised red warning flags along the beaches to advise swimmers and other tourists as well as to prevent accidents, as heavy rain and strong winds have hit the island.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-09-01

Last year on Nai Harn I had a strong rip current try to pull me out to sea and this was a mere 15m from shore..

Rips are always close to the shore and in the shallows or reef outflows, its where the water is making it way back out after being held in by a sandbar or similar.

Once your out in deep water the rips have little to no power.

Last year on Nai Harn I had a strong rip current try to pull me out to sea and this was a mere 15m from shore..

Rips are always close to the shore and in the shallows or reef outflows, its where the water is making it way back out after being held in by a sandbar or similar.

Once your out in deep water the rips have little to no power.

We drive past Karon Beach most days and only this week saw the small hard to read boards (Post 1 foto 1).I saw only three and they are woefully inadequate ;Karon is a very long beach after all.

Ten boards with dates of recent drownings might be more effective, and twice the size of the useless lot.