Starting An English School

I am throwing around a number of ideas in my head regarding potential business start-up concepts in Thailand. One is to start an English school. Has anyone here opened up one or know of someone who has? What kind of licence would I need (I'm Aussie). Can I start the business without a Thai national as a partner? What kind of start-up capital would I be looking at?

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be most appreciated.

Oh, I'm thinking of starting up in BKK.

Cheers!

Teaching kids...

I developed a multi-level school for a Thai family/business from scratch in late 2003. They handled all the licensing stuff, if it was needed I have no idea. I did everything else, including developing the curriculum, hiring and training teachers, setting up the rooms, and marketing it.

First thing is I would tend to doubt Thai parents would send their kids to a school unless there is a Thai person involved in some nature. In my case, the Thai people in the business met with parents and did all that, and when they needed to parade the token white guy they would find me and I would say hello and be on my way. The parents want to see that a white person is behind the actual teaching part in some way (I didn't teach, I was the 'Academic Director") but nonetheless I never dealt with the parents except to explain how the teaching is done. All they really wanted to know is that their kids were having fun. If the teaching part is too serious you are sunk.

I know a American guy who started a small school with his Thai girlfriend. The g/f dealt with parents and the guy taught. He said he was making great money but worked long hours. Not a lot of money to get started I don't think. One thing we did was pay teachers a decent wage, we got them from a local university I used to work at. All part-timers were hired.

If you want to teach adults, that is another story.

I hired teachers from the States and England. They were all my friends so I knew they were dependable. Plus, I fought to have the hourly wage a little bit higher than the norm so guys would come in to teach a two-four hour shift if they were on their deathbed.

Activities is the key to making the program fun. I went to toy stores and bought tons of props for teaching. The teachers even enjoyed teaching the material so that helped.

There are a lot of factors that go into the success of a school and I am sure there is a book or two out there on it. I am no expert on it although the program I started worked out well. Last I heard it was still going when I left and had grown.

Peace...

You need a Thai principal as well, generally with an English degree or something like that. You'll struggle (or not be able to do it at all) without Thai assistance.

Good luck you'll need it.

Check the MoE site and contact them about setting a school up would be my advice!

Thank you so much for all your responses. It looks like something I'll have to carefully investigate.

If there is anyone else here who has actually opened up an English school, please share your experiences. I'd be very interested.

Cheers for now,

thailotus