Singapore Short Break

pauleddy

I hope to spend 3-4 days in Singapore next month. I have never been there. I will not be spending all of my time visiting museums, churches and temples (errr... I will be going to saunas and bars at times, I must admit).

Any tips about flights, "scene", locations (Chinatown?), rip-offs to avoid, friendly bars, saunas---please post or pm. I have no idea about the place. Of course, I shall look at the gay sites on-line, but personal tips are useful.

I am especially interested in information about gay-friendly hotels at medium level prices. I have heard things about on-line deals, keeping in mind that Singapore hotels are rumoured be rather expensive. I am looking for hotels which are fairly central.

Thanks

Eddy :)

Not really. I wanted to ask gay people in Thailand (like me) about doing a short trip to Singapore (Many of us do these trips to KL, Vietnam and etc.) That would include stuff like flights, where to go once you arrive, hotels etc. A similar post will also go out to GaySingaporeLocal and I am sure to get good info...but it might not be from a similar perspective.

?

I hope to spend 3-4 days in Singapore next month. I have never been there. I will not be spending all of my time visiting museums, churches and temples (errr... I will be going to saunas and bars at times, I must admit).

Any tips about flights, "scene", locations (Chinatown?), rip-offs to avoid, friendly bars, saunas---please post or pm. I have no idea about the place. Of course, I shall look at the gay sites on-line, but personal tips are useful.

I am especially interested in information about gay-friendly hotels at medium level prices. I have heard things about on-line deals, keeping in mind that Singapore hotels are rumoured be rather expensive. I am looking for hotels which are fairly central.

Thanks

Eddy :)

it seems like you really have no clue about Singapore yet, and therefore it might be a good idea to buy a small guide, such as TIMEOUT SINGAPORE (600 THB at Kinokuniya in BKK).

be aware that Singapore is very much Western, so don't expect that they - if you as a Farang comes over, showing off with your money - will be very much impressed in the gay scene (they will rather have a good laugh). I don't say you will be necessarily acting like that, but I mention it, just in case.....

the clubs at SG, no matter if straight or gay, could be anywhere in the Western world and they are being, same as in HKG, patronized by plenty of young Expat executive-professionals (young, fit, handsome, educated, well-off).

for more specific informations on what u r looking for, you should try Singapore-based fridae.com website, there is a helpful directory.

as for hotels, when it comes to Singapore, nothing can beat wotif.com or latestays.com

browse these websites to get a first impression. the prices are pretty much down these days, and deals can be had, one could only have dreamed of 2 or 3 years ago.

I will be staying at a 4-star in SG later this month for less than 80 Euro. unthinkable in 2006 or 2007.....

Edited by THAILIBAN

i was many times in singapore ... even this year three times already ...

i like singapore, however, i prefer kuala lumpur ... boys are more cute and discreet ;-)

what exactly do you want to know?

you should have a look at the utopia asia website ...

http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipssing.htm

there you will find a listing of all gay venues ...

i went many times to PLAY ... a club for young people ...

hmmm ... many many many asians there ... i think 95% ...

as far as accomodation is concerned ... i am just 27 y-o ... i don't like to spend a lot of money for accomodation.

i need a bed, that's all ... that's the reason why i stayed always at geylang area ... red light district ;-)

i really can recommend singapore, but prices are very high ...

and hmmm ... to be honest, if i could choose between singapore and kuala lumpur ..

i would always prefer kuala lumpur!

• 4 months later...

Think hard about visiting Singapore. The government there had an opportunity last year to repeal the anti-homosexual laws, and chose not to.

On that basis I will not visit Singapore again, since they are an active anti-gay Country, who choose to continue to oppress gay people.

Do they deserve your hard earned money?

Think hard about visiting Singapore. The government there had an opportunity last year to repeal the anti-homosexual laws, and chose not to.

On that basis I will not visit Singapore again, since they are an active anti-gay Country, who choose to continue to oppress gay people.

The government is very anti-gay. That could be a reason to not go there. However the gays in Singapore seem to have not gotten the memo. They aren't hard to find and they don't seem to be getting arrested.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the bump.

I will be 3-4 days in SG next week, and I need a "gay-friendly" or gay hotel which is near the "scene". The last minute deals seem to be mid-ranking or less, and straight hotels. What I mean is that I can't afford 8,000b a night, but somewhere which is mid-ranked or 4 star may be ok. It needs to be near the 'scene' and I like the option of 'receiving visitors' if it happens like that. I guess that the SG equivalent of Pinnacle or Tarntawan (medium priced, gay, near saunas and bars) would be good--if such exists.

I have heard of cheaper hotels with windowless box-rooms, but I can't stay in those.

If anyone has a solid recommendation or even a website URL, I would be pleased to have some advice. I know very little about SG.

Eddy

Thai governments past and present have trampled all over the rights of various minorities - is Thailand any more deserving of our hard earned money just because they choose different minorities to "oppress"?

"First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out ...."

bkkguy