Bangkok Flooded

george

Incessant downpours flood Bangkok and vicinity in 44 spots

1251703274.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Incessantly heavy downpours and thunderstorms have occurred in all Bangkok and the vicinity on Sunday night, causing floods in 44 areas due to the capital’s inadequate drainage system.

Forty-two flooding spots have returned to normal early Monday morning, while the high water level in the other two areas at the Ratchada-Ladprao intersection and Pongpetch Market were to be drained away by 11 am Monday.

Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra went to the Ratchada-Ladprao intersection, where water was some 10 centimetres deep.

He said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) was able to drain only 60 millimetres of accumulated rainfall, but Sunday’s heavy downpours meant accumulated water amounted to over 100 millimetres.

Meanwhile, Drainage and Sewerage Department Director Charnchai Witoonpanyakij said flooding in inner Bangkok could normally be solved within two hours, but Sunday’s rainfall took more time for drainage in some areas located far from the river.

There are now seven drainage tunnels in the capital. The department plans to build another from Bang Sue district to the Chao Phraya River.

The project will open private sector bidding later this year with a budget of around Bt2 billion.

The Meteorological Department has warned the public to be careful of the danger from heavy rains in many areas nationwide, as wind-driven waves in the Gulf and the Andaman Sea could be 2-3 metres high and become stronger in the next few days, and small boats should not leave shore.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-31

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/georgebkk

We are on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farang

Be the first to know!

Get our community toolbar with Thailand News and thousands of internet radio stations:

http://toolbar.thaivisa.com

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

What's the panic about 10 cm's of water? I used to work near Lad Phrao intersection for some time and last year i had to cross knee-deep water there several times.

Also in Sukhumvit i had my motorbike (a normal, not under-bone one) die when the water reached the top of the cylinder, in places it was hip-deep then (~60-70 cm's).

And no matter what they do, first time it really pours it's all flooded again anyway. My boss lives in a village of Pathanakan where all streets are 10-15 cm's deep flooded after 20 minutes of rain, EVERY time.

Best regards.....

Thanh

1251703274.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Incessantly heavy downpours and thunderstorms have occurred in all Bangkok and the vicinity on Sunday night, causing floods in 44 areas due to the capital's inadequate drainage system.

Forty-two flooding spots have returned to normal early Monday morning, while the high water level in the other two areas at the Ratchada-Ladprao intersection and Pongpetch Market were to be drained away by 11 am Monday.

Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra went to the Ratchada-Ladprao intersection, where water was some 10 centimetres deep.

He said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) was able to drain only 60 millimetres of accumulated rainfall, but Sunday's heavy downpours meant accumulated water amounted to over 100 millimetres.

Meanwhile, Drainage and Sewerage Department Director Charnchai Witoonpanyakij said flooding in inner Bangkok could normally be solved within two hours, but Sunday's rainfall took more time for drainage in some areas located far from the river.

There are now seven drainage tunnels in the capital. The department plans to build another from Bang Sue district to the Chao Phraya River.

The project will open private sector bidding later this year with a budget of around Bt2 billion.

The Meteorological Department has warned the public to be careful of the danger from heavy rains in many areas nationwide, as wind-driven waves in the Gulf and the Andaman Sea could be 2-3 metres high and become stronger in the next few days, and small boats should not leave shore.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-31

Be the first to know!

Get our community toolbar with Thailand News and thousands of internet radio stations:

Is there a boat service from Kao San Road to the Airport now?

Up here in Central 65km southwest of Khampaeng Phet we have had 4 days or nights of heavy rain and thunderstorms.

My almost empty fish pond has nearly 1 metre of water in it and where they are building a bridge and a new road across the local klong the temporary bridge and tunnels they brought in have been washed away.

Edited by billd766

Nothing new here. This happens at least once every year when we have a very heavy rain. Nobody ever seems to remember. The situation is a lot better than it used to be. And it's normal for the rains to be heavier in September and October. :D Then there's the unuaually high tide we get every year in the middle of October, so you can figure there's probably worse to come. The thing that gets me is when it rains, Thai drivers act as though they've never had to drive in rain before. :)

Old news, nothing to see here, move along folks.

Why always a big story about something which happens every year?

Let the rain officially begin! It rains already... The same procedure as every year... nid noi flood prevention too much

plastic in the drains... TiT.

Edited by webfact

Dude, I am happy with it, its chilled riding a bike down sukhumvit 22. Its just funny that people take pride in the country or city with such a simple problem plaguing it, however it will get worse as the water levels rise. Cant wait to take a jet ski down sukhumvit in the future. Seriously looking fore ward to it.

time to build an ark

Good idea, but are you actually allowed to OWN an Ark in Thailand?

I'm not too sure how old you are, but given that Noah was 950 when he died, ensure that your own Ark usufruct is a lifetime one, and not limited to 30 years.

they can be built on request... :)

noahs-ark_replica.jpg

time to build an ark

Good idea, but are you actually allowed to OWN an Ark in Thailand?

I'm not too sure how old you are, but given that Noah was 950 when he died, ensure that your own Ark usufruct is a lifetime one, and not limited to 30 years.

51% Thai ownership should do the trick :)

I'd did a post on earlier, about Krung Thep sinking... It is, but slowely. If you arrive LOS by plane, turning over BKK for a landing at Suvarnabhumi, you can clearly see, how low BKK is actually lying, in comparisation to the sea level.

They will have to do something about it in the future.

Does anybody remember the 'great floods' in BKK in the early '80s (I think it was '83 or '84)?

A lot has improved here since then. These days flooding is very localised and it usually subsides within a few hours after the rains stop.

Let's not forget that BKK is very low lying and at high tides (Oct./Nov.) the best and biggest pumps won't be able to get rid of the water.

Our home is only 1.2mtr. above mean sea level, yet we haven't seen any flooding in the past 15 years because flood gates have been installed at all Khlongs in our area (we have a Khlong right behind our house!).

I think the BMA has done quite a good job in this regard.

opalhort

Wow, sounds bad... Its OK here in Pattaya, just a little rain last night but nothing bad like Bangkok.

Like The Pollution Solution Group has been saying for years, In Pattaya, stencil the storm drains, (NO GARBAGE) (GOES TO OCEAN) With a picture, Or in Bangkoks case, (GOES TO RIVER) That is one of the reasons Jomtien and Pattaya Beach has been so full of garbage, Keep them cleaned out and the flooding would be much, much less, also the water would not be so contaminated, It seems to always be after the fact, We need more inspectors, more pumping out the garbage and stenciling, this could make a big difference, also in the Jomtien, Pattaya area...

Our life's blood is in the storm drains, keep them clean, our sea food, beaches, roads, homes, would be a lot safer and cleaner...

Hello City Hall...

We are all In this neighborhood together...(STENCIL HEAVY FOOT TRAFFIC STORM DRAIN AREAS) Fine the people that think storm drains are for garbage or educate them, Take a look in them, they are full of cooking oil, motor oil, paint, plastic, toxic cigarette butts, which plug up the drains and then we have a big rain they back up over flow with toxic waste flooding into our homes, streets, this could be cut in half with a little preventative maintenance...Inspect, Clean, Stencil, Fine...

post-51002-1251710322_thumb.jpg

AHHHhhh!!! This would be a good time to visit Cha Am, and go swimming... body surfing, even, since the waves might just be bigger than the 9 inch high "normal" waves in the Gulf of Thailand....!!!!

Surf's UP!!! Kowabunga!!!!!

Does anybody remember the 'great floods' in BKK in the early '80s (I think it was '83 or '84)?

I think the BMA has done quite a good job in this regard.

Oh yes! Sutthisarn Road was a foot deep for several days. Friends caught fish in their living room. Amazing. I still have pictures cut out of the Post, showing Thais with big grins navigating the streets in their boats.

Things have improved greatly here. It's easy to complain, but the level of positive change here in Bangkok, between the eighties and now at least matches anything you'd see in the U.S.

DoctorD

Compared to what it was like in 83 (or was it 84), Sunday's problems were nothing. In '83 I saw people windsurfing on Sukhumvit (not joking). To get to Samrong from Prakanong you had to take a boat. Ramkamhaeng Uni was closed for at least 6 months as most of the buildings were underwater. A lot of Petchburi Road was under waist deep water.

I went to work in shorts and tee shirt and changed at the office. Luckily I was in wading distance of the office so traffic jams were not a problem for me.

Things have improved considerably since then.

I live in Delhi - and the "waterlogging" in Bangkok would be considered the height of efficient rainwater management here. Anything beyond a minor shower causes chaos due to poor provision of drainage, flooded underpasses (who on earth constructs an underpass that carries a major road without proper provision for drainage and or pumps???) and massive traffic jams. Oh, and yes, all the traffic lights go out as they are not waterproof either! Finally when the water recedes we discober that all the tarmac has washed asway as well. Bangkok is Zurich-like in water management efficiency compared to here!

1251703274.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Incessantly heavy downpours and thunderstorms have occurred in all Bangkok and the vicinity on Sunday night, causing floods in 44 areas due to the capital's inadequate drainage system.

He said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) was able to drain only 60 millimetres of accumulated rainfall, but Sunday's heavy downpours meant accumulated water amounted to over 100 millimetres.

Meanwhile, Drainage and Sewerage Department Director Charnchai Witoonpanyakij said flooding in inner Bangkok could normally be solved within two hours, but Sunday's rainfall took more time for drainage in some areas located far from the river.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-08-31

Be the first to know!

I'd did a post on earlier, about Krung Thep sinking... It is, but slowely. If you arrive LOS by plane, turning over BKK for a landing at Suvarnabhumi, you can clearly see, how low BKK is actually lying, in comparisation to the sea level.

They will have to do something about it in the future.

The average elevation of Bangkok is 2 meters above sea level.

The reason it's sinking is because it's mostly clay, hence the deep, concrete piles under structures that more or less float on the clay.

When I started living in my condo here in 1999 the street I am in would flood every day and some times stay flooded for days on end.

Nowadays yes it gets flooded but it is gone after 1 or 2 hours and it doesn't flood often anymore.

So they are definitely doing a good job there!!

W