Os Backup To Memory Stick

delboy

I'm running Windows XP and I back up my data files on a regular basis in case of HDD failure etc. However, I would like to know if I copy my C Drive data to a Memory Stick using Windows Explorer, and copy my registry to a Memory Stick, can I revert to my current OS by simply formatting my new drive and then copying the saved data to the new drive without having to re-install Windows and all the applications that I use.

If so, how do I save and restore the registry?

I'm running Windows XP and I back up my data files on a regular basis in case of HDD failure etc. However, I would like to know if I copy my C Drive data to a Memory Stick using Windows Explorer, and copy my registry to a Memory Stick, can I revert to my current OS by simply formatting my new drive and then copying the saved data to the new drive without having to re-install Windows and all the applications that I use.

If so, how do I save and restore the registry?

AS stated by Webfact it will not work. Many important files on the C: drive will be locked and you will have numerous problems. before you even get to the stage of trying to rebuild your registry.

I too recommend Acronis.True Image. It will back up your data in compressed format to a DVD or memory stick taking much less space than the original drive. True Image also lets you create a boot recovery CD and in the event of a failure of your C drive you can be upo and running in less than 30 minutes.

Although the archive is compressed you are able to extract individual files from it if need be.

Thanks for your useful replies. I thought it was too easy, but it was worth a try.

I'll certainly be checking out Acronis, but how to buy it with no credit card to use online?

It seems to be just what I need.

<br />Thanks for your useful replies. I thought it was too easy, but it was worth a try.<br /><br />I'll certainly be checking out Acronis, but how to buy it with no credit card to use online?<br /><br />It seems to be just what I need.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The free trial will lt you create an image, and at any time in the future this image can be restored without a license key. However I recommend you update your image frequently (monthly) otherwise your security updates and virus definitions will be out of date when you restore causing you to spend many frustrating hours online downloading the latest M$ bugs, To do this you will need to aquire a licensed version

Well, I tried to purchase Acronis online but they only accept credit cards, which I do not have, so I tried Daffy's suggestion of Macrium.

After a few teething problems with bad clusters I successfully created a backup image of my C drive on an external hard drive, and a boot CD. Very fast and easy to use.

The free version of Macrium is a cut down version of their pay program. It has the basic features that I require, so I'm pleased with it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Try this equally good back-up program.

Macrium Reflect Free

:)

This sounds like a wonderful facility.

So does this mean that in order to speed everything up on my computer, it is safe to disable my antivirus and antispyware programmes?

In other words, if the worst should happen and my harddrive becomes corrupted because I have no antivirus software enabled, that I can restore my c drive again using macrium and my previous backups after I have reformatted?

Try this equally good back-up program.

Macrium Reflect Free

:)

This sounds like a wonderful facility.

So does this mean that in order to speed everything up on my computer, it is safe to disable my antivirus and antispyware programmes?

In other words, if the worst should happen and my harddrive becomes corrupted because I have no antivirus software enabled, that I can restore my c drive again using macrium and my previous backups after I have reformatted?

all programs mentioned in this thread, Acronis, Shadowprotect, Macrium can do that. Don't worry about Avirus. One thing you should know.

You can restore only on your computer not from Computer A to B. For this you need a bare metal restore program. I think Acronis and Shadowprotect (I use it) can do it. Not sure about Macrium but have my doubts it will be available in the free version