Getting Some Building Work Done

I'm looking to get some building work done on a house in Koh Samui. I want to support the local economy as much as possible and so would like to employ Thai builders, rather than a 'western' firm I have the details of. However, I'm not sure of the etiquette and don't want to get it wrong.

If I was doing a similar thing in the UK I'd get two or three quotes, speak to other customers, and then go with the option I thought best. Is this the best way to do it in Thailand too? I'm not sure if getting more than one quote might be seen as insulting, or if you're supposed to haggle, etc, etc. Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Suegha

เสือ

I'm looking to get some building work done on a house in Koh Samui.  I want to support the local economy as much as possible and so would like to employ Thai builders, rather than a 'western' firm I have the details of.  However, I'm not sure of the etiquette and don't want to get it wrong.

If I was doing a similar thing in the UK I'd get two or three quotes, speak to other customers, and then go with the option I thought best.  Is this the best way to do it in Thailand too?  I'm not sure if getting more than one quote might be seen as insulting, or if you're supposed to haggle, etc, etc.  Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Suegha

เสือ

Getting several bids on a project is normal business in Thailand too.

Not seen as insulting in the least.

Good luck with your project.

I'm looking to get some building work done on a house in Koh Samui.  I want to support the local economy as much as possible and so would like to employ Thai builders, rather than a 'western' firm I have the details of.  However, I'm not sure of the etiquette and don't want to get it wrong.

If I was doing a similar thing in the UK I'd get two or three quotes, speak to other customers, and then go with the option I thought best.  Is this the best way to do it in Thailand too?  I'm not sure if getting more than one quote might be seen as insulting, or if you're supposed to haggle, etc, etc.  Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Suegha

เสือ

i read a post somewhere about a guy who was having a house extension built by thai builder, they laid the floor tiles ,then started to build the walls

all the muck was piling up on the new floor,and each night they shoveled it up,

the house owner asked the builder to lay some ply-board down,to cover/protect the floor, the thai builder and his men,didnt like being told what to do, left in a temper,never to be seen again--

Edited by andy50

Suegha

เสือ

i read a post somewhere about a guy who was having a house extension built by thai builder, they laid the floor tiles ,then started to build the walls

all the muck was piling up on the new floor,and each night they shoveled it up,

the house owner asked the builder to lay some ply-board down,to cover/protect the floor, the thai builder and his men,didnt like being told what to do, left in a temper,never to be seen again--

It was probably the manner in which the owner delivered his request to the workers.

You always have to be polite. :o

What i did was take a tour of the neighbourhood and look for the well built houses and ask who the contractor was.

Thais are more than happy to show you round their house even if they have never met you before. :o

• 1 month later...

Hello all, although things were a little slow to get started I finally got my quotes and have organised the work to be done in my absence. I got the Estate agents to manage the project on my behalf. They have been fab so far so I'll keep you posted as the project proceeds. Once again, thanks for all the advice.

Suegha

เสือ

Hello all, although things were a little slow to get started I finally got my quotes and have organised the work to be done in my absence.  I got the Estate agents to manage the project on my behalf.  They have been fab so far so I'll keep you posted as the project proceeds.  Once again, thanks for all the advice.

Suegha

เสือ

Organised the work to be done in your absence?

Surely you're going to check it every week or so. If only to confirm they're not doing something stupid like putting a single double-socket in the kitchen. Or is everything on the plan, and you're 100% certain that the builders can read a plan...

Remember there's no building control officers in Thailand, (or building inspectors if you're American). Once the walls are rendered, you have no idea how well they were built.

Thank you all for your advice, I'll let you know how I get on.

Suegha

เสือ

I used to do loads of work through the estate agents, general building here your on a 20 percent mark up, the estate agents always wanted a minimum of 10 percent, guess who paid that and guess who took absolutely no responsibility for the construction work, yep those estate agents, they are estate agents, not contractors, have fun :o

I appreciate your concerns, and yes, the estate agent did add on 10% to the quote. However, they have used the builder before and showed me some of the work which was under their supervision - some of it to their premises, so on balance I thought I'd give it a go. Two things though: it's a small wall built around the property so no sockets or plumbing to install, and I will be kept updated by the estate agents. I'll let you know how I get on.

Suegha

เสือ