The Word Farang

Nip

Professional educated people I have worked with and met wouldn't dream of using the word, and tell me the usage is generally derogatory.

You don't get around much then. The word farang is commonly used by most all Thai people of every status group including the higher ones. I've heard it used in classrooms at Chula and read it in the newspapers. How could anyone who has lived here for any period of time have missed the big DTAC campaign that proudly proclaimes "I love Farang". The bumper stickers were plastered on taxis all over town.

post-23727-1251948224_thumb.jpg

Sign common on Bangkok taxis.

Instigated by Communications giant DTAC

post-23727-1251948338_thumb.jpg

Headline reads: Young FARANG woman drives drunk

Kills 3

Father, child and grandchild

Edited by Groongthep

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The word is not an English word and is not used in the English language.

It is not listed in the OED. (Oxford English Dictionary)

It is a Thai word, basically it means a Foreigner of European stock

He is a falang/farang. He is a foreigner (from Europe) A Whiteman.

It is not offensive, just a general term.

perhaps "khun falang" could be used as a term of address, it would sound more polite.

In other words "Mr Whiteman"

Whiteman is an English surname.

I must see I disagree. Farang is a white fruit. A fruit. Without a brain. That is white. they are not saying khohn khaao or in Thai writing คุณขาว That would be Mister White.

Being a fruit is not a good thing. But it is something I will not lose sleep over for one minute.

When I was in Isaan the daughter of my gf called me farang. I had a talk with them and explained to them that I would rather not have them call me that. I don't mind what there friends/family say. But Mae, Poo le look can call me by my name.

Nathon(Actually nickname which means cutface, but it is would i prefer to be called :)

Edited by twister

Maybe this obsession with NOT being called a farang (when quite clearly you are and always will be one) is something peculiar to the relative newcomers. Those that have come here to retire or those who are working 9-5 jobs? Maybe these distressed farangs struggle with some perceived class identity as much as their Thai peers do? They allude to working with 'more educated' Thai people or socializing with, dare I say it, 'hi-so' types?

I mean, what was to be gained from trying to 'educate' some Isaan types, especially chldren, that one was NOT just a farang. You will probably be remembered in local circles accordingly.

"Somchai, do you remember the farang that was here last week?"

"Which one? The one with the fanciful notions on OUR language or the nice one?"

People who like me can call me anything they want to. That is why blacks can call each other the N word but won't accept it if spoken by a caucasian.

:D

i think as foreigners should start using the term on each other like american blacks

i.e.

yo my main farang! whas up?

one more:

he's got more excuses than a farang on his way to jail

Sigh... :D

Rant on.

Forgive me for the threadjack ...

But Look People.

And I'm speaking specifically to those White people out there, especially from America.

First off, in the interest of full discloser, I am An African American Man. ( yes, there is *one * here on Thai Visa.. :D )

Second - I've NEVER called another African American, Caribbean American, or African that word.

Despite what you may have heard , we African Americans are not a monolithic culture - Now while we share many experiences, we all do not all think and do the same thing.

There seems to be a popular misconception out there, especially amongst American white people, that black people in American run around all day calling each other the "N" word so to speak.

If I had a baht for every time I've seen this on not just this forum, but others out there in internet land , I'd probably be able to take the Skytrain from On Nut to Mo Chit.

And back...

Ok, listen up, the word that SOME blacks call each other ( which is spoken and spelt as "Nigga" by the way) is nuanced and spelled differently from the other insidious epithet that you know ( and some love... :) )

Unfortunately, many black people have been using variations of that ignorant word since white folks created it. Some black folks used it in the beginning as away to keep other blacks in their place ( that is, when whites weren't doing it ), but then it evolved into an new definition and it's meaning changed from the original epithet.

Some Young black guys who are ( or want to pretend that they are ) inner city "Thugs" who do use that word are in fact saying "nigga", not "N-Word ".

I personally think it's kind of dumb, but "nigga" just doesn't have the same meaning as "N-Word ".

"Nigga" can be used towards people of any race, it's a copula similar to "dude" or "bro" or "man".

But to the vast majority of ( American ) white people , seemingly and willfully outside of the sphere of African American culture, they do not / could not have the cultural knowledge or touchstone to be able to understand the different nuances and difference between the words.

Ergo Barry and Ianforbes posts above.

Interestingly enough, lot of young white guys who are into African American culture call each other that now, and I've even seen Hispanic and Asian guys use it too - in certain areas and situations though.

And it can be used toward black people by Hispanic and Asians, but for whites, only if they know they black guy(s) really well, and understands African American culture,and how and when it's used. ( even then, Non-black nonwhites tend to have more leeway to use it, than whites for the obvious reasons..)

While I don't use that derivation of the "N" word , I do know what is meant by the people who do.

( And not for this gansta rap nonsense, it might have gone away entirely... )

And that is the difference. :D

But what I can't stand is when white and even some non-black people who bludgeon *all* black people in general simply because some black people use it.

So I while do admit there is a subset ( and I mean subset ) of African Americans that do use this term, like I said, mostly young men in the "inner city" ( and some pretending to be from the inner city ) into the "Thug Life" / "Gangsta" life , the vast majority us us do not.

If you don't believe me, just go and find any African American person get to know them, and once you do, simply just *ask* them ( And Yes, while I admit there aren't too many of us in the Kingdom, we do exist in Thailand. ).

( Of course, the question has to come up naturally in a conversation.. :D )

I hope that is clears this up with this "culture lesson".

End rant.

Sorry, but had to be done :D

Now As for the "Farang" thing ( to get back on topic ) and whether or not it is bad, This is an old debate, I must have seen at least five versions of this in this forum though the years....The fact of the matter is.. Sometimes it depends on te situation and the person addressing you by that name. Also, the word itself ( just like languages themselves ) is changing, even amongst Thais. ( And I've even been called "ฝรั่งดำ" believe it or not, by more than one Thai, which is pretty funny in itself... )

Words and their meanings do not remain eternally static.

I'm quite sure that even within twenty years the word "Farang", like many names used to described people in many other languages, will change and become somewhat different than it's meaning that is currently embraced here....

Maybe this obsession with NOT being called a farang (when quite clearly you are and always will be one) is something peculiar to the relative newcomers. Those that have come here to retire or those who are working 9-5 jobs? Maybe these distressed farangs struggle with some perceived class identity as much as their Thai peers do? They allude to working with 'more educated' Thai people or socializing with, dare I say it, 'hi-so' types?

I mean, what was to be gained from trying to 'educate' some Isaan types, especially chldren, that one was NOT just a farang. You will probably be remembered in local circles accordingly.

"Somchai, do you remember the farang that was here last week?"

"Which one? The one with the fanciful notions on OUR language or the nice one?"

I'm not trying to educate them, I just told my daughters that they know my name and can call me that. If they called me foreigner I would have the same talk with them asking them to call me by my name and not foreigner.

Let me play Devils Advocate. What if I refered to my Thai gf with a word that she was uncomfortable with or felt offended by. Should I insist that she is being too sensitive or should I consider her feelings and refrain from that term?

(By the way, If my gf kept refering to me as "farang" then asked how I would have refered to her, I would simply say as my "girl friend." I would not dream of saying "Oh the Asian said..." :)

The analogy doesn't work. How many TGs call their BF "Farang". Farang is used to refer to people you aren't familiar with. Seems a little odd people are so concerned with the word Farang. Is it OK to refer to tall peaple as tall? maybe I just don't get that I'm being insulted.

Well, thats just it, you are making my point.

The way I read the OP was that his Thai GF and the other person were both refering to him as "Farang." When the OP's gf asked how he would refrer to her in a similar conversation between foreigners, he had no reply. Why not simply say her name? Or my bf?

I don't care what they say, but look at it another way, If you took your gf back home and every one refered to her as "The Asian" would that seem a bit strange? Where is the Asian today? Where did the Asian go? What did the Asian order? My hunch is that most Thais would eventually tire of that speak up.

In any case, its a moot point cause it ain't gonna change, so I just deal with it :D Peace!

I agree that being called a "Farang" by Thais can sometimes be a bit annoying.

The word Farang originates from the word "Farang seth" meaning France.

Because of the large French involvement in the early Indochina Thais started to use the word Farang for every western foreigner with a pail skin that they saw or met. Thais just couldn't see the difference between an Englishman, German or a Frenchman, so they opted to call all westerners as "Frenchies" or "Farangs".

Sadly, they still can't understand that Europe involves many different countries with many different languages.

I'm an European or a Swede, and I don't like to be misstaken for a Frenchman.

Edited by SiamNilsson

Vigilante Very nice post! There have been many times I have taken offence at the term. And to tell the truth I still feel that there are times when the Thais intend it to be offensive. Yet we should give them the benefit of the doubt and not react negatively!

I prefer farang at least Thais can pronounce this correctly and I understand when someone is addressing me or talking about me!

Now my name can come as Lick Hard or lychee for short..... never mind my last name which is always pronounced Bits but is not Bits in farangland..

So farang suits me fine as i never get called by my real name.....

How about these names do you think they prefer their Thai name or farang?

Stan = Satan

Chris = Klit

1. I'm changing my name to Stan Chris. I'd love to be a satan klit.

When i was new to Thailand, I have to be honest and tell you it offended me, too. My guess is you're from the US and (if that's the case) we've been over educated on racial/ethnic sensitivity so going abroad and hearing people state the obvious (because it's their style) "..hey, you know that fat guy foreigner I'm talking about.." or that really black man or that cripple who works in the store

or...that farang (generic term just like Asian). I did tell my wife I'm no more falang than you are Yippon or China. She got it but also said it was just a generic term for wide eyed honkeys. It bugged me for a while and after learning the true Thai heart it's a way of talking about you when they don't really know you. Now she refers to me as faeng, I refer to her as mia but when she's talking about westerners, it's falang. I'd say the closest interpretation would be falang=westerner

One more note; we've been a priveleged color people for a loooong time. Rarely have we encountered prejudice but had we been born with dark skin, life would be different and not as easy. Nearly all the places in the world have this skin phobia where lighter is prettier (except some white countries are preferring a bit of a "beautiful tan" now but the tan doesn't show in corporate and management yet). I admit it hurt in my ignorance and I have encountered prejudice in Asia and Nicaragua. I have to remember these are different countries, some where the government reinforces the attitude. Not all countries want a melting pot; they prefer the "pure blood" ignoring the ancient immigrations into their country (not a single person on earth is "pure" anything) but still they want to preserve their look and keep separate from our toxic influences. You have to admit, our influences around the world are not all positive (we even got China hooked on Opium; surprised they don't still hate us).

So...my suggestion as stated several times earlier would be to reduce your sensitivity and learn the culture and deeply get to know at least one or two Thais. You'll be quite surprised to find these people mean no harm (taking into consideration their caste layover system from ancient India) and state the obvious when our culture has been trained to be "politically correct. This is a heirarchial society; something our brains cannot grasp in practice yet and no we're not at the top of it.

If you're fat, they'll tell you you're fat. If you're old, they'll tell you so. If you made a bad call, someone will point that out. If you ask a question, you may get no response at all. It's just a diff culture. Really I think it's healthier stating the obvious than dancing and prancing around the subject when everyone knows what the person intends to say. I have no tolerance for truly recist words but this is not one and remember true racism is just pure ignorance. Rarely being discrimitated against, honkey, whitey is fine with me and so is farang but not buffalokee! I've lived far too sheltered of a life compared to all other races who have been discriminated against. It's about time we get on the receiving end if there's any left. Give em a break; the expression is an early word out of more ignorance....just saying "foreigner" and the Indians they call "guest" but rember ancient Thailand was basically SE India wayyy back; I guess they became "guests" towards the end. We look different, there's no race intergration attempts and they like it that way. They're not us and all Thais are not created equal, neither are we (in their pretty almond shaped eyes)!

It's just a prejudiced society where all races and slight race variations believe they are superior to one another. Come to think of it, we're no different. Who are we to say our way is the right way? How do we know their thinking is not superior and we need to "get with the program"? That's likely how they see it.

You'll know you've assimilated enough to get over the "farang" word when you're able to sit down and eat a dish of Tom Yam/Tom macoom. There must be something in it because that's all it took for me!

"Nigga" can be used towards people of any race, it's a copula similar to "dude" or "bro" or "man".

I'm not buying this statement. These days any white person who calls a black man "Nigga" is almost always going to be treated as if he called him the other word and is most likely going to end up in a fight or worse. This is particularly true if you live in a city with a large black population like, Chicago, Oakland or New Orleans.

BTW...You are dating yourself with the terms "dude" and 'bro". Hardly anyone under the age of 50, either black or white uses either of those two terms to refer to black people any more. They were used quite frequenty however in the old 60's television show "Mod Squad" which was generally considered completely phony and uncool by just about everyone of any race who ever saw it.

Edited by Groongthep

People who like me can call me anything they want to. That is why blacks can call each other the N word but won't accept it if spoken by a caucasian.

i think as foreigners should start using the term on each other like american blacks

i.e.

yo my main farang! whas up?

one more:

he's got more excuses than a farang on his way to jail

Sigh... :D

Rant on.

Forgive me for the threadjack ...

But Look People.

And I'm speaking specifically to those White people out there, especially from America.

First off, in the interest of full discloser, I am An African American Man. ( yes, there is *one * here on Thai Visa.. :D )

Second - I've NEVER called another African American, Caribbean American, or African that word.

Despite what you may have heard , we African Americans are not a monolithic culture - Now while we share many experiences, we all do not all think and do the same thing.

There seems to be a popular misconception out there, especially amongst American white people, that black people in American run around all day calling each other the "N" word so to speak.

If I had a baht for every time I've seen this on not just this forum, but others out there in internet land , I'd probably be able to take the Skytrain from On Nut to Mo Chit.

And back...

Ok, listen up, the word that SOME blacks call each other ( which is spoken and spelt as "Nigga" by the way) is nuanced and spelled differently from the other insidious epithet that you know ( and some love... :) )

Unfortunately, many black people have been using variations of that ignorant word since white folks created it. Some black folks used it in the beginning as away to keep other blacks in their place ( that is, when whites weren't doing it ), but then it evolved into an new definition and it's meaning changed from the original epithet.

Some Young black guys who are ( or want to pretend that they are ) inner city "Thugs" who do use that word are in fact saying "nigga", not "N-Word ".

I personally think it's kind of dumb, but "nigga" just doesn't have the same meaning as "N-Word ".

But to the vast majority of ( American ) white people , seemingly and willfully outside of the sphere of African American culture, they do not / could not have the cultural knowledge or touchstone to be able to understand the different nuances and difference between the words.

Ergo Barry and Ianforbes posts above.

Interestingly enough, lot of young white guys who are into African American culture call each other that now, and I've even seen Hispanic and Asian guys use it too - in certain areas and situations though.

And it can be used toward black people by Hispanic and Asians, but for whites, only if they know they black guy(s) really well, and understands African American culture,and how and when it's used. ( even then, Non-black nonwhites tend to have more leeway to use it, than whites for the obvious reasons..)

While I don't use that derivation of the "N" word , I do know what is meant by the people who do.

( And not for this gansta rap nonsense, it might have gone away entirely... )

And that is the difference. :D

But what I can't stand is when white and even some non-black people who bludgeon *all* black people in general simply because some black people use it.

So I while do admit there is a subset ( and I mean subset ) of African Americans that do use this term, like I said, mostly young men in the "inner city" ( and some pretending to be from the inner city ) into the "Thug Life" / "Gangsta" life , the vast majority us us do not.

If you don't believe me, just go and find any African American person get to know them, and once you do, simply just *ask* them ( And Yes, while I admit there aren't too many of us in the Kingdom, we do exist in Thailand. ).

( Of course, the question has to come up naturally in a conversation.. :D )

I hope that is clears this up with this "culture lesson".

End rant.

Sorry, but had to be done :D

Now As for the "Farang" thing ( to get back on topic ) and whether or not it is bad, This is an old debate, I must have seen at least five versions of this in this forum though the years....The fact of the matter is.. Sometimes it depends on te situation and the person addressing you by that name. Also, the word itself ( just like languages themselves ) is changing, even amongst Thais. ( And I've even been called "ฝรั่งดำ" believe it or not, by more than one Thai, which is pretty funny in itself... )

Words and their meanings do not remain eternally static.

I'm quite sure that even within twenty years the word "Farang", like many names used to described people in many other languages, will change and become somewhat different than it's meaning that is currently embraced here....

I disagree. Nigga and Nigg* sound the same with the African American subculture (gangsta/gangster) accent. Have the same Nigga calling individual say both N words and listen-they'll be identical. Same with gangsta and gangster...sound the same, different spelling (only recently) but the intent is to say gangster mimicked in spelling by the accent.

It's the sound of the same word. Both of those words sound identical. Nigga and Nigge* are no different. I do not believe it's appropriate for any N word to be used mainstream but this is a way of expression and definitely freedom of speech. Now ask someone who's calling their homey a nigga and ask them to immediately say the other N word; they'll sound identical as gangsta and gangster spoken since R's in that subculture are not pronounced...it's the same spoken word but a technicality spells it different now getting others to believe it's a different word. I don't call people honka....the word originated the same and excuses made a different spelling to justify and rationalize its use in response to overwhelming voiced offense. If you look at the history of this usage; it's always been the same word until this past decade someone decided to spell it to the accent to continue to rationalize its use.

Edited by HYENA

My take with the word, both from my own observations and from discussions with Thais, is that the word does not really carry any inherent negative connotation.  But it can be used in a negative way, if that makes sense.

Overall, the word is descriptive, like French, Brazilian, Asian, Chinese, blondes, brunettes, or whatever. And like these words, the connotation can be different.  When talking about a Grand Cru, and all I say is "Those French!,"   then the word is obviously meant in a positive vein.  But if I am watching on television the images of the fires outside of Paris during the riots, and I say the exact same words, the connotation would not be the same.

I'm not buying this statement. These days any white person who calls a black man "Nigga" is almost always going to be treated as if he called him the other word and is most likely going to end up in a fight or worse. This is particularly true if you live in a city with a large black population like, Chicago, Oakland or New Orleans.

BTW...You are dating yourself with the terms "dude" and 'bro". Hardly anyone under the age of 50, either black or white uses either of those two terms to refer to black people any more. They were used quite frequenty however in the old 60's television show "Mod Squad" which was generally considered completely phony and uncool by just about everyone of any race who ever saw it.

Dude and bro are definitely here to stay; especially in the pot smoking subculture. "Dude you better get a dell" commercial this decade (until he got caught smoking pot). I just heard two high school aged kids using both those words last week.

I do agree this "Nigga" word is just an excuse for one race to excuse its exclusive use while all other races are barred from using it. Say the word "Nigga" and die if you're not from African American heritage. Both words sound different when we say it but when the black subculture that doesn't pronounce its R's (it's a nationwide subculture accent regardless of residence no other race carries in the US). The words are really Nigge* and Nigge* then they say "It's a different word" thereby prohibiting others without the accent from saying it while pronouncing nigge* and nigga identically. It's original use and intent was Nigge*.

Most find it highly offensive but the rap/gansta/gangster subculture got it into mainstream black american use only with the intent to offend. Spelling it with an accent as Nigga is poor job of rationalizing a highly charged and racist word at the same time they take offense when anyone else uses it regardless if they say it with or without the R, you'll still die if you say it and you're not black.

Deciding to spell it with an accent to rationalize it's exclsive use to black Americans since that subculture still carries its own accent regardless of residence....still doesn't make it right.

Edited by HYENA

The blacks claimed the N word as their own

Same as Gay people claimed the word Queer. It drew the sting from the word.

It follows if we are going to do a similar thing we should claim

Farang kee nok

which is always an insult

rather than farang which is more neutral.

Yes?

BTW...You are dating yourself with the terms "dude" and 'bro". Hardly anyone under the age of 50, either black or white uses either of those two terms to refer to black people any more.

Dude and bro are definitely here to stay; especially in the pot smoking subculture. "Dude you better get a dell" commercial this decade (until he got caught smoking pot). I just heard two high school aged kids using both those words last week.

If you re-read my post you will see that I was referring to "dude" and "bro" being used as titles for black people not for kids or dope smokers.

BTW...You are dating yourself with the terms "dude" and 'bro". Hardly anyone under the age of 50, either black or white uses either of those two terms to refer to black people any more.

If you re-read my post you will see that I was referring to "dude" and "bro" being used as titles for black people not for kids or dope smokers.

Point taken, agreed. I was just reading too fast, farang!

I think it is also necessary to take into consideration the intent of the person saying it, often there is no malice and they are just ignorant. It is also the 'done thing' refer to us this way and all in all I am quite happy Thailand is not PC mad like in the UK.

So with you on that one, it is just crazy in the UK, you can't say this and can't say that at the risk of it may offend someone or something!!! Must say, it is a thing I like about Thailand, they are not embroiled in the PC claptrap that the UK has imported from the US and to the extreme. However, this thread alone is evidence alone that the more expats living in Thailand, it's gonna head the same way....

The most likely derivation of the word is from "farangset" meaning French. Thais must have come into contact with quite a few Frenchmen who wondered in from French Indochina in the 19th century and "farangset" is their attempt at pronouncing "francais". I don't think there is any need to take offence at this term. Life is too short and it is much nicer than many of the terms Anglo-Saxons or even Chinese for that matter use to refer to foreigners.

c

Many of my friends who like myself have been living in Thailand for many years find the word Farang to be at times offensive perhaps even racist?

Farang supposedly refers to a foreigner but when I look up the Thai dictionary I find the following;

ชาวต่างชาติ

chaao dtàang châat

foreigner ; alien

ฮวน

huan

alien ; foreigner

ชาวต่างประเทศ

chaao dtàang bprà-têt

foreigner ; alien

ต่างแดน

dtàang daen

exotic ; alien ; foreign ; remote

foreigner ; alien ; immigrant ; non-native

คนต่างชาติ

kon dtàang châat

foreigner ; alien

คนต่างด้าว

kon dtàang dâao

alien ; foreigner

คนต่างแดน

kon dtàang daen

foreigner ; alien

ต่างชาติต่างภาษา

dtàang châat dtàang paa-săa

foreign ; alien ; outlandish ; another nationalist or race foreigner ; alien

ต่างด้าว

dtàang dâao

alien ; foreigner ; outsider ; stranger foreign ; alien

นักเทศ

nák-têt

foreigner working in the ;

คนจร

kon jon

stranger ; alien ; foreigner

Call me tetchy if you wish but the word Farang from lips of many Thai's to me has the essence of a derogatory curse word and I think we demean one another from using the expression amongst ourselves and that we should find another word that expresses our status more eloquently! Anybody any suggestions?

Funny you should say that! I tell My thai Wife, that anyone who asks her, she should tell them, ''My husband Don is, an old English gentleman.''

It's OK for people to call the Asians Pakki and Afro Afro-Caribbean people Niggers back hear in the UK since I can remember what's the matter with you Thai's calling you Farang,if you don't like it you know wear the door is just use it mate.

Thais have all kinds of words for people of different ethnic backgrounds. As someone pointed out, they call Indian and Pakistani people "khaek" (which literally means "visitor" or "guest"). They call people of European descent "farang" (which literally means "guava"). They call older Chinese women "jeh" and wealthy Chinese businessmen "sia." They call Vietnamese people "yuan". There are probably many more that I haven't heard.

And in English speaking countries, we call all people from the Asian subcontinent "Asian." We call people from Spain "Hispanic" or "Latino", as well as the people from Mexico and the Spanish speaking countries in Central and South America, despite the ethnic diversity among those peoples. We call white-skinned European people "Caucasian," despite the fact that few of us are from the Caucasus region, and people from the English-speaking countries "Anglo-Saxon," despite the fact that many have neither "Anglo" nor "Saxon" heritage.

All of those terms can be used in a neutral or a derogatory manner, depending on the context of the conversation (just as "farang" can). People naturally notice the differences that exist between themselves and others, and race is one of the most obvious differences.

Edited by oevna