Virtualbox Vs. Vmware Server 2.0

Thanh-BKK

Hello.

I have a question here. I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 now and am unable to get the old VMware Server installed, so i got the new version. It is using Firefox as a web interface and that, plain and simple, sucks. Sluggish, difficult, and can't be used when True's proxy is activated - while without that proxy the internet hardly works. So i can't run a VM and surf the web at the same time.

Now i have read in another topic about "VirtualBox". How is it, compared to VMware Server..? Can i, for instance, use my existing virtual machines? I have three Windows installs (3.11, 95 and XP) and would not like having to re-create them from scratch. Does VirtualBox support sound, network/internet, file sharing between host and guest (which so far i have not gotten working in VMware 2.0, it worked perfectly in the old version and which is essential and my reason for asking this) and USB devices such as thumb drives?

Also, is it possible to have both VMware AND VirtualBox installed at the same time or do they conflict with each other?

Appreciate any advice...thanks in advance :)

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Now i have read in another topic about "VirtualBox". How is it, compared to VMware Server..? Can i, for instance, use my existing virtual machines? I have three Windows installs (3.11, 95 and XP) and would not like having to re-create them from scratch. Does VirtualBox support sound, network/internet, file sharing between host and guest (which so far i have not gotten working in VMware 2.0, it worked perfectly in the old version and which is essential and my reason for asking this) and USB devices such as thumb drives?

Also, is it possible to have both VMware AND VirtualBox installed at the same time or do they conflict with each other?

Hello,

I've been using virtualbox (running winxp / win2k) for a few years for software development purposes, before that i used virtualization software from vmware. In my experience, virtualbox has many advantages. It is faster, more stable, very easy to use and, well, free. If i remember right, some of the vmware images (*.vmdk) could be used straight in new vbox virtual machines without any conversion, but i had problems with this approach on some win2k images. As for device support, i never needed sound in vbox machines, but it should work. Internet worked for me right out of the box, although there was a bug about upload speeds affecting some users. File sharing between host/client can be achieved with shared folders.

Usb drive functionality is not included in the free version. It should be possible to install both vmware and vbox in the same computer, although running them at the same time may seriously slow down your machine.

Anyways, it's free and easy to try, suggest you take a copy of one of your vmware virtual disks and try it on in a vbox.

Agreed 100% with vcpilot, as I run VMware 6.5.0 build-118166 (yes I brought it) for the same reasons and use both OSX and WIN7 for the development and wiki writing we do here.

Although I have found you want at least 2gigs of RAM for the host when running OSX else it is painfully slow.

I think you are looking at two very different applications for two very different purposes. Virtual Box is aimed at giving visualization to the desktop market where dedicated servers will benefit more from actual VMware server products, Xen or similar.

Hi.

No luck for me once again. I installed VirtualBox without any problem, copied my virtual machines - and this happens:

Haiku: Boots and runs ok, but can't get the internet.

Windows 3.11: Boots and runs ok, gets internet, shared folder works, mouse is "jumpy" (i.e. pointer jumps suddenly to some other place).

Windows 95: Hangs at the boot splash screen, same in "Safe Mode". Booted in VMWare, uninstalled VMWare Tools - still no go in VirtualBox.

Windows XP Home: Black screen and no further "action" right after VirtualBox BIOS screen. Same with VMWare Tools uninstalled. Booting from Windows-CD also impossible.

Any advice on how to get those to work (Win 95 and XP) without having to re-install them..?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

Hello again.

Can't edit above post so here's an update.

I managed to get the XP working 100% by enabling the ACPI thingy. However that same trick does NOT work on Windows 95 - that virtual machine still hangs at the boot splash.

I need that to work, any ideas..?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

VMWare Server 2.0 user here.

I agree that the web interface sucks. But your True Proxy/ Internet problem sounds like a configuration error.

Have you tried looking at the Ignored Hosts tab of the Network Proxy config applet?

I look forward to moving to VirtualBox, but don't want to stuff around with my vm images right now.

I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop on my Dell notebook (Core 2 Duo, 2 Gig Ram) and have used both Vmware Server 2.0 and Virtual Box without any problem.

Vmware server (which is basically a GSX server) uses Tomcat and I agree that the web interface is sluggish.

VirtualBox is fast but more a desktop Virtualization purpose.

I am using True 4 mbps and internet and voice everything works fine.

I prefer using VirtualBox for my notebook and Vmware Server for small to mid size Server deployments. Recently I have installed Vmware Server on AMD X4 with 4 Gig of Ram and dual 500 GB SATA Raid. I hosted 4 servers including one Linux Firewall / Gateway / Mail Server. It works like charm. Both are nice products but for different needs.

Uninstall all unnecssary software and Vmware tools from Windows 95. Do check Config.sys and Autoexec.bat

Boot Press F8 go to command prompt and Start Windows 95 with a minimal set of Windows drivers by typing the following line:

win /d:m

I hope above helps you.

Edited by tariq786

Hello again.

Can't edit above post so here's an update.

I managed to get the XP working 100% by enabling the ACPI thingy. However that same trick does NOT work on Windows 95 - that virtual machine still hangs at the boot splash.

I need that to work, any ideas..?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Hmm make sure that the virtual HD for win95 is not sata, also make sure you have USB disabled as well as USB wasn't available in the Windows 95 days.

Sorry nothing else comes to mind.

Remember to check all the settings regarding the vm's when using virtualbox.

There is a good forum for vbox as well on their site.

Been using for roughly 2 years now and have been very happy, used vmware before that.

Edited by Nagatus

Hi.

Thank you both for replying. However nothing works.

No problem getting to the command prompt. However after "win /d:m" it complains about a missing "himem.sys" and i should make sure it is in the Windows directory. Needless to say it IS there.

VMware tools are uninstalled already. What is "unnecessary software"..? And what should i check autoexec.bat and config.sys for..?

The HDD is not SATA and USB is disabled. Still nothing works - Windows 95 freezes a second after the splash screen starts, also in Safe mode. No joy.

Seems i will have to re-do that one..........

Kind regards......

Thanh

Hi.

Thank you both for replying. However nothing works.

No problem getting to the command prompt. However after "win /d:m" it complains about a missing "himem.sys" and i should make sure it is in the Windows directory. Needless to say it IS there.

VMware tools are uninstalled already. What is "unnecessary software"..? And what should i check autoexec.bat and config.sys for..?

The HDD is not SATA and USB is disabled. Still nothing works - Windows 95 freezes a second after the splash screen starts, also in Safe mode. No joy.

Seems i will have to re-do that one..........

Kind regards......

Thanh

Hi Thanh,

"himem.sys" may well be in your "windows directory" however you need to specify it in your "autoexec.bat" file.

Add this line:

DEVICE=[drive:][path]HIMEM.SYS to the file. Replace the "drive" with the drive letter you are using (usually "C")

and the FULL path to himem.sys.

NOTE: The HIMEM.SYS command line must come before any commands that start applications or device drivers that use extended memory.

Good luck

Mal

Hi.

THAT issue fixed itself somehow, and by playing around with the VM settings i managed by now to get Windows 95 to start - in Safe Mode, that is. Under Safe Mode it does not give me a CD drive so i can't install the VBox Guest Additions (i.e. drivers) and i am stuck right there. When i try to start it in normal mode it BSOD's because of the IDE controller, if i remove said IDE controller from Safe Mode and restart it starts however automatically installs the very same IDE controller again - with the same result, BSOD.

I will have to find the CD again (and, more importantly, the DOS floppy image) and will reinstall Windows 95. I prefer to use it over XP for the single task i require (a certain image editing program that runs under all Windows from 95 to 7, however refuses to work in Wine) because Windows 95, if working, starts up in about 5 seconds :)

On a side note,. i have managed to get my NTFS drive shared again (i was missing system-config-samba in Ubuntu) and my XP VM is 100% usable again including the shared drive.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Hello.

I have a question here. I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 now and am unable to get the old VMware Server installed, so i got the new version. It is using Firefox as a web interface and that, plain and simple, sucks. Sluggish, difficult, and can't be used when True's proxy is activated - while without that proxy the internet hardly works. So i can't run a VM and surf the web at the same time.

Appreciate any advice...thanks in advance :)

Kind regards.....

Thanh

VitualBox is sweet. Just create a new VM, and make it point to your Windows partition. Use the add ons so you can improve your experience. You will maybe have to reactivate your Windows once you will run it inside your virtual machine.

I recommend to use a separate hard drive for the windows partition, so everything will even go faster.

I have no problems with my Ubuntu for my daily usage, and my XP pro 64 for IE testing and Photoshop design inside my VirtualBox. With a Core Duo 66 and 4Gb of ram, no pain, real gain. And it's free (Thanks to Sun).

Ubuntu rulez :D

Good luck

Stef

Edited by vediovis

Hi.

Yeah done that already - XP is working, re-activated etc etc etc. What i am struggling with, now, is Windows 95.

So i created a new VM and re-installed Windoes 95 (DOS first obviously, CD-ROM driver second, then Windows 95) and, guess what? First reboot - hangs a second after the splash screen. Safe mode also. No go.

Seems VirtualBox just plain and simple does not support Windows 95.

Best regards.....

Thanh

• 3 weeks later...
Hi.

Yeah done that already - XP is working, re-activated etc etc etc. What i am struggling with, now, is Windows 95.

So i created a new VM and re-installed Windoes 95 (DOS first obviously, CD-ROM driver second, then Windows 95) and, guess what? First reboot - hangs a second after the splash screen. Safe mode also. No go.

Seems VirtualBox just plain and simple does not support Windows 95.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hi

Are you sure you indicated the VB you wanted to run a Windows95? You shouldn't have problems in that case, asW95 is quite old now and it should be one of the best working one in the VB.

Try to go to http://www.virtualbox.org/ and post a ticket.

I have to say the last version 3.0.6 gave me pain for my XP64 but it seems they have problems with 64bits OS. I havd to switch bact the previous one.

But in your case, w95 should go sweet. Check your configuration again and go to ask them if you need http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker (you will find a forum and an IRC channel in the Community part).

Cheers

S.L.