Please Vote For Your "water" Photo Winner,

Kan Win

Water  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi Folks,

Please Vote For Your "Water" Photo Winner, Photo Challenge #7,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Photo-Challenge-7-t288063.html

Our finalists are in order of their posts.

Good luck to one and all. :)

Those that did not make it to this vote your photos where passed 'best sell date' i.e. older than 3 months and those

that had no date stamp in then. Sorry folks, but rules are rules. :D

Thanking you,

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. Comments are most welcomed btw

Must say congratulations to all participants in the "Water" challenge they are great shots!

I had at least 4 Photos in my favorite list and really hard t decide who got me vote :D

My suggestion in the event of a Thai break! No pun intended lol :)

All winners keep there Nr. 1 position i.e. no demotion

Who decides the next challenge could be decided through some short straw method e.g

1. Any shot taken after the challenge date would be instant winner if the others were Older.

2. Failing that the Photo taken with the least expensive Camera would decide the next challenge.

Any thoughts?

A very difficult one to vote on..............

I leave it to Kan Win to decide if there is a tie.

Who decides the next challenge could be decided through some short straw method e.g

1. Any shot taken after the challenge date would be instant winner if the others were Older.

2. Failing that the Photo taken with the least expensive Camera would decide the next challenge.

Either of these options will get my support.

Thanks Monkfish.

I think a vote shoot out should be the first step in finding a winner, maybe a 24/48 hour voting period? In the unlikely case of another tie, then Monkfish's suggestion #1 is in the spirit of the challenges and could be used as an eventual tiebreaker. Also, as we vote for the 'photographer' and not the individual images then the number of images posted in the challenge could be a factor in deciding a tie.

Not sure if I agree with #2 as it would be penalizing someone just because they can afford an expensive camera. (I don't own an expensive camera, that's why I'm not sure :))

This shouldn,t really have to be said but the idea that a more expensive camera

gives you some advantage in taking a successful photograph is an idea that

should be shot in the head at birth

Photographs are created in the photographers eye not the camera - expensive or otherwise

Photographs are created in the photographers eye not the camera - expensive or otherwise

I agree

I agree

OK i get the message no need to shoot me!

Asked the misses and she agreed that if i got a new D700 my Photography would not improve. :)

What about option 1. I think that would be doable and in the spirit of the challenge?

Hi Folks,

Thank you very much for your posts on this matter :D as I have been blasted and bashed about on "Thai Breakers" (pun was intended btw as well) before :D

My thinking is as follows:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A

1) To confer with the other winners and not whinge about it and to get a agreement about the next challenge :D

2) The winners should post their challenge if NO agreement has been reached.

3) Mods like 'astral' or 'Tywais' could/should then have the final vote on the next challenge :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B

1) If the winner/s has/have already posted a challenge, then the winner/s should pass the next challenge to someone else that has not posted a challenge :D

C

1) I got told off too many times for my choice of the next challenge :D

2) Then get another Mod to take up the challenges thread. :P

Easy really ABC take your pick

OR

Come up with an easy way to break a "Thai Breakers" :D

Yours as ever,

Kan Win :)

P.S. Z I choose the topic if it is a "Thai Breakers" :D

I agree

OK i get the message no need to shoot me!

Asked the misses and she agreed that if i got a new D700 my Photography would not improve. :)

What about option 1. I think that would be doable and in the spirit of the challenge?

yes option 1 looks better

the missus just doesn't want you spending the money a D700 would cost! :D

I still think that a simple re-vote just with the 'winning' candidates is the way to go, post it in 'General topics' for a couple of days. Chances of it resulting in another draw are slim. It would also be a good way to expose this sub-forum a bit and hopefully attract a few more posters. (maybe all future voting polls should be posted there for these reasons?)

The voting system was meant to be based on the individual images and not the actual photographers. That way if there was a tie then the tied candidate's 2nd highest voted image is taken into account, if against the odds it's still a tie, then the candidate's 3rd highest voted is counted. Obviously it's too late for this challenge, but maybe an idea for future challenges?

Not sure if you all have seen the galleries of images submitted to previous challenges. The forum's 'gallery' function is almost perfect to use for the voting, it would allow voters to cast votes while actually viewing the images. A bit more fun for the voters as well as they can give a vote on as many submissions as they like and also post comments on the individual images. Any thoughts on this?

Edited by lordsux

Not sure if you all have seen the galleries of images submitted to previous challenges. The forum's 'gallery' function is almost perfect to use for the voting, it would allow voters to cast votes while actually viewing the images. A bit more fun for the voters as well as they can give a vote on as many submissions as they like and also post comments on the individual images. Any thoughts on this?

Lord how would that work? Poll? or similar to the post what ye want challenge?

There is already a dropdown menu 'rating' system in the gallery where you can give an image a rating between 1 and 5, the gallery software works out and displays the average rating automatically.

After a challenge has been closed for submissions a gallery is created with all the valid submissions. Voting is then opened as usual with a link to the gallery and a specific closing date/time. The highest scoring image at the deadline is the winner.

There is already a dropdown menu 'rating' system in the gallery where you can give an image a rating between 1 and 5, the gallery software works out and displays the average rating automatically.

After a challenge has been closed for submissions a gallery is created with all the valid submissions. Voting is then opened as usual with a link to the gallery and a specific closing date/time. The highest scoring image at the deadline is the winner.

mmm might work but not sure, may be needs a test run.

The biggest problem i can see are the points, i mean only 1-5 we could again end up with lots of pictures with 5 stars

The 1-5 is a point that I thought about. I know that most of the forums parameters can be adjusted. Maybe the rating parameters can be adjusted to 1-10. The gallery software calculates the averages including 2 decimal points and looking at the 'Cloud Challenge' gallery ratings it seems that the likelihood of a 1st place draw is not very likely. In case there should be a tie, a decider could be how many individual ratings the images received.

I still think that a simple re-vote just with the 'winning' candidates is the way to go, post it in 'General topics' for a couple of days. Chances of it resulting in another draw are slim. It would also be a good way to expose this sub-forum a bit and hopefully attract a few more posters. (maybe all future voting polls should be posted there for these reasons?)

The voting system was meant to be based on the individual images and not the actual photographers. That way if there was a tie then the tied candidate's 2nd highest voted image is taken into account, if against the odds it's still a tie, then the candidate's 3rd highest voted is counted. Obviously it's too late for this challenge, but maybe an idea for future challenges?

I think this is a great idea

certainly for the voting phase

for those of us with dial up connections trolling through all the entries

is too time consuming

and to the contributors who post large files i get so bored waiting for it to download

i move on

If all the images are on one page and the same size it,s so much better to compare

one image with another and more sympathetic to people who don,t have a direct

interest to participate

great idea Lordsux i hope that other people see that this makes sense and would draw in

more participants

Thanks 'watutsi' I didn't think about the poor dial up users and that the above idea would make life a bit easier for them (have to take care of this endangered species :) ) Thanks for mentioning it.

This post needs a nudge btw. :D

You call them an endangered species but this is Thailand

I would imagine that the majority of TV members do not have

very speedy internet connections

The problem is not that you have dead heats but that not enough

people are voting

Make it easier for people to see all the images together and maybe more

people will vote and indeed take an interest

Hi Folks,

My thinking is as follows:-

A

1) To confer with the other winners and not whinge about it and to get a agreement about the next challenge :D

2) The winners should post their challenge if NO agreement has been reached.

3) Mods like 'astral' or 'Tywais' could/should then have the final vote on the next challenge :D

A simple solution in the event of a tie break would be both winners choose a challenge and then we have another vote.

My thinking was me post above. If we have another vote and then another week is lost for the next 'Challenge #8'. :D

Yours truly,

Win from Kan :D

P.S. I will be on my 'Travel Thailand' :D trip this month so hope another Mod will take over. Thanking you all. :)

Edited by Kan Win

Point taken Kan Win its your decision at the end of the day.

What about all winners post there challenge Mods decide?

Also I agree with your option B 100%

B

1) If the winner/s has/have already posted a challenge, then the winner/s should pass the next challenge to someone else that has not posted a challenge wink.gif

The voting system was meant to be based on the individual images and not the actual photographers.

But with photographers posting up to 3 images who would be the one to choose 1 image for the voting process then? :)

Yours truly,

Win :D

Point taken Kan Win its your decision at the end of the day.

What about all winners post there challenge Mods decide?

Also I agree with your option B 100%

B

1) If the winner/s has/have already posted a challenge, then the winner/s should pass the next challenge to someone else that has not posted a challenge :D

Thank you to you and 'lordsux' 'Monkfish' and to all for your very useful input on this matter at hand. :D

As for

its your decision at the end of the day

well that is true, but I am not very happy with that as our Members should really have the last say hence this post :D

When we first started I opposed "The Rules", but went with the majority. After that I said 'Vote by Post' well that was also shot down, so here we are Folks :D

Your call :)

Yours as always,

If the eventual tied winners can agree on a new topic then that's all well and good (didn't go so good last time though). If not, then they can draw up their individual challenges and post them for review, members could then have a couple of days to vote for a challenge. However, I still think a 48 hour re-vote posted in 'general topics' with only the tied submissions participating should be the first step. Also it's a good way to advertise this little corner of thaivisa, "watutsi" hit it on the head with:

"The problem is not that you have dead heats but that not enough

people are voting"

I try and pimp the challenges by making a post now and again in 'General topics' when a new challenge is announced and when voting time comes around, the post usually slips into obscurity within hours. I did hint that that this challenge's post in 'General' needs a bump, after 70 views of this thread since I posted the link, not one person has bumped the post (12 people did click the link though). Remember, more submissions and voters should equate to even more fun with the challenges.

Seeing that Kan is away this month and if everyone agrees I will set up the voting for the forthcoming challenge using the concept I outlined earlier in this post. That way we get to vote on the individual images in a gallery, and the chances of a tie are minimal.

Yes and thank you 'lordsux' for your input.

Would be good for our next 'challenge #8' .

I did go and voted on all of the Photos btw. :D So not only Kan one vote for 1 photo via as 'Poll" like now (which I do not agree with), but vote for the ones that you like from 1-5 :D

Good thinking 'lordsux', but it is up to our members to decide and not me or you. :)

Please post a 'Poll' then on which way we should vote on our next 'Challenge #8'.:D

Yours truly,

However, I still think a 48 hour re-vote posted in 'general topics' with only the tied submissions participating should be the first step.

Not bad thinking, but I only have me 'Buttons' in this forum, so please ask a super mod to help you on this matter. :)

Yours truly,

Yes and thank you 'lordsux' for your input.

Would be good for our next 'challenge #8' .

I did go and voted on all of the Photos btw. :D So not only Kan one vote for 1 photo via as 'Poll" like now (which I do not agree with), but vote for the ones that you like from 1-5 :D

Good thinking 'lordsux', but it is up to our members to decide and not me or you. :)

Please post a 'Poll' then on which way we should vote on our next 'Challenge #8'. :D

Yours truly,

I say go for it! on challenge 8

at the end of the day its only a bit of fun anyways.

If it gets big with prize money :D en stuff we may have to find another system.

But till then lets have fun :D