Checks On Foreign Business Tieups In Phuket

george

62 million baht invested in 19000 businesses, that is only 3150bt each business. Figures dont sound right to me.

The powers that be, know exactly what they are quoting, but it appears they are deliberately playing down the actual scale of the problem.

Reading in between the lines, the statement means, well, we realise that most of these business establishments are illegal trillion baht empires, but we like the revenue these businesses yield in, the payoffs, the perks for the lads, their ability to manipulate the law with protection and guarantees created by their corrupt officials and mafia connections, so maybe we should gently squeeze the golden goose just for appearances so as we, the authorities, cannot be accused of corruption in these matters, but it would not be in our interests to kill it off altogether.

Thailand does have a very powerful old boy network that has become an institution within it’s self and works outside and is above the normal constitutional laws that govern the Kingdom.

I can assure those involved in organised crime here, that providing you are greasing the right palms, staying in the background with your heads down, you can take this latest so called clamp down with a piece of salt and continue with your business as usual.

Edited by sassienie

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D whats so funny is the banner adds on this post build a home in Thailand

never been a good idea but its getting worse not only do you have to screen your partner but the Thai government is becoming more anti western month buy month

Vietnam is booming compared to the backward ideas on investment from Thai government

Obviously you do not know what you are talking about with regards to Vietnam. The government regulary confiscates foriegn businesses outright once the business starts earning a substantial profit. And there is nothing the foreign owners of the business can do! It is still a fascist, totalitarian, and tyrranical country my friend. Just ask my Vietnamese girlfriend who is hassled every time she comes for the US to Vietnam to visit her relatives.

And to you whinners who are complaining about Thailand enforcing their laws (e.g. 49% business ownership, etc.)....you all should just leave. Go back to your home countries and don't complain when foreigners break your countrie's laws and take advantage of your country. Many of you act like Thailand would not be able to survive without all the foreigners, "upscale" businesses on Phuket, etc. I have news for you. The country would survive and probabaly be better off with out all the foreign scum I see running amuck in Thailand. Do you realize that most Thais are sick and tired of foreigners. I have many converstions with close Thai friends concerning this subject and they tell me how most Thais think. I do not blame them. Foreigh scum comes to Thailand and then break the laws and rules of the country and then they cry like children when the Thais try to enforce existing laws. Then they have the nerve to state that the country needs to change and do this and that for business, etc. Whatever the foreigner wants, the Thais are demanded to bend over backward for the foreigner, even when this is not their country. I hope thousands of muslims descend on your countries and throw tantrums,complain, and demand that your governments change their policies so that the muslims are happy. If you don't like following the laws in Thailand you should have the decency to leave the county ASAP. Good ridence. Have fun in your home country. Break the laws in your home country and find out what happens.

Nothing like a bit of self loathing is there :D There are always two sides to a coin (if there isn't it'll probably sell quite well on ebay). If Thai people never wanted foriegn investment then they wouldn't be there in such hoards. I don't believe for one second Thais hate foriegners and there are many decent people who do respect Thai laws and culture. You seriously need to chillax. :D Have a Chang or something and enjoy the weather man.

Absolute rubbish. What are you? The Wikipedia of thaivisa? So many of you stating things in print on some forum doesn't make it true? If so, where's your evidence. And as to your Vietnamese girlfriend, I would imagine she has no more hassle getting into the US than any other Asian national woman, they're all assumed to be 'on the game'.

Hunny bunny...who are you addressing? Your post makes no sense. :) I assume that one of your statements is directed to me. My Vietnamese girlfriend is a US citizen ( for 11 years ) and it is a fact that she gets hassled by the Vietnamese airport staff, government, etc. when she goes the visit her relatives in Vietnam...NOT when she is coming back into the US. She get hassled because she is a US citizen and also because she was a resident of southern Vietnam. They can tell by her dialect when she speaks. She hates the Vietnamese government. She and some of her siblings were kicked out of high school during the 90's. Her father spent 6.5 years in a Vietnamese prison after the US left because he was a general in southern Vietnam fighting along side the US during the Indochinese war. The whole family left (except her mother who remarried and wanted to stay) and lived in refuge camp near the Thai / Cambodian border before they finally got to the US after waiting about 5 years. She even has nightmares about being chased by Pol Pot. Your comment about all Asian female nationals assumed to be "on the game" by people in the US or anywhere is a joke. Sorry, that is not true. I know many people in the States who have married Asian nationals. Women from some countries are easier to get into the States than others. I don't know why but have my opinions. BTW... I know non-Vietnamese people who have had their businesses taken over by the Vietnamese gov. after the businesses started generating a good profit. The Vietnamese government, etc. is still pursicuting Vietnamese Christains and other Vietnamese in southern Vientnam. Did you know that southern Vietnam used to be part of Cambodia until the French gave it to Vietnam in 1949. Many of the residents there are Khmer and not Vietnamese. Some road signs and place names are still written in Khmer but the Vietnamese have changed many from Khmer to Vietnamese. Google "Kampuchea Krom" and learn something.

Below is a cut and pasted paragraph.

"Kampuchea Krom is composed of 68,965 square kilometers, 21 provinces and municipalities, two large islands - Koh Tral and Koh Tralach, 171 districts, 1,368 communes, 14,778 villages, more than 13 million Khmers, more than 567 Buddhist pagodas and more than 20,000 Theravada Buddhist monks."

So, hunnybunny, what is your problem? Are you northern Vietnamese woman who can't read and who has an attitude or are you falang woman who is jealous of Asian women and angry at the men who find them attractive, fun, etc.? I did not bother to look at your profile in order to gain info on you and why you write rubbish.

Cheers :D

[quote

Absolute rubbish. What are you? The Wikipedia of thaivisa? So many of you stating things in print on some forum doesn't make it true? If so, where's your evidence. And as to your Vietnamese girlfriend, I would imagine she has no more hassle getting into the US than any other Asian national woman, they're all assumed to be 'on the game'.

Hunny bunny...who are you addressing? Your post makes no sense. :) I assume that one of your statements is directed to me. My Vietnamese girlfriend is a US citizen ( for 11 years ) and it is a fact that she gets hassled by the Vietnamese airport staff, government, etc. when she goes the visit her relatives in Vietnam...NOT when she is coming back into the US. She get hassled because she is a US citizen and also because she was a resident of southern Vietnam. They can tell by her dialect when she speaks. She hates the Vietnamese government. She and some of her siblings were kicked out of high school during the 90's. Her father spent 6.5 years in a Vietnamese prison after the US left because he was a general in southern Vietnam fighting along side the US during the Indochinese war. The whole family left (except her mother who remarried and wanted to stay) and lived in refuge camp near the Thai / Cambodian border before they finally got to the US after waiting about 5 years. She even has nightmares about being chased by Pol Pot. Your comment about all Asian female nationals assumed to be "on the game" by people in the US or anywhere is a joke. Sorry, that is not true. I know many people in the States who have married Asian nationals. Women from some countries are easier to get into the States than others. I don't know why but have my opinions. BTW... I know non-Vietnamese people who have had their businesses taken over by the Vietnamese gov. after the businesses started generating a good profit. The Vietnamese government, etc. is still pursicuting Vietnamese Christains and other Vietnamese in southern Vientnam. Did you know that southern Vietnam used to be part of Cambodia until the French gave it to Vietnam in 1949. Many of the residents there are Khmer and not Vietnamese. Some road signs and place names are still written in Khmer but the Vietnamese have changed many from Khmer to Vietnamese. Google "Kampuchea Krom" and learn something.

"Kampuchea Krom is composed of 68,965 square kilometers, 21 provinces and municipalities, two large islands - Koh Tral and Koh Tralach, 171 districts, 1,368 communes, 14,778 villages, more than 13 million Khmers, more than 567 Buddhist pagodas and more than 20,000 Theravada Buddhist monks."

So, hunnybunny, what is your problem? Are you northern Vietnamese woman who can't read and who has an attitude or are you falang woman who is jealous of Asian women and angry at the men who find them attractive, fun, etc.? I did not bother to look at your profile in order to gain info on you and why you write rubbish.

Cheers :D

Good post, but why don’t you first create it in Microsoft word that has a spell checker.

Then copy and paste the text into ThaiVisa. Would look much more impressive.

When I first met my Thai wife in England 22 years ago, many of my associates assumed that at one time in her life she probably worked in a bar or that is where I must of met her, it was difficult at times to convince them otherwise. It was also the same scenario with the Thais, some were certain that I must of met my Thai wife in a Thai bar and took her to England.

This is because of the image Thailand used to portray, and even today things still haven’t changed much. I recently asked my cousin, what words come into her head when I mention Thailand? She replied prostitution and corruption. My cousin has never visited Thailand, but this is the general opinion of Thailand around the world.

Edited by sassienie

As I understand; if you are American (from U.S.A) you can own a company 100% and operate it without Thai staff. It is some special agreement between USA and Thailand.

Sometimes I wish I was American....

I dont mean to sound like I am challenging your statement here. Out of sincerity I ask, what do you base that comment on? I have never run across that one before. Would you happen to have access to documentation regarding this? Thank you.

Funny thing indeed, many Americans I met don't even know about it.

But on the other hand what do they really know about something that is not in America??

Don't blame us, because you don't know about it.

Actually the whole thing should be illegal according to the WTO (all the members should get the same)

First off, you write with a chip on your shoulder. That is a rather ignorant and prejudiced comment about Americans not knowing something not in America. Mai Pen Rai, its your opinion youre entitled to it. Opinions are as we say in US, like the oriface between the gluteus maximi; everyone has one and most of them stink, and they only fit the one wearing them.

Point 2, I blamed no one for my not being aware of the treaty. I only inquired about it.

So with all due respect, Mr. Som Chai, kiss my opinion, Sir.

What are you really trying to say?

Boy, this is getting worse and worse. It is really starting to feel like they want all us farang out of their country.

they've publicized this particular crackdown every month for the part 3 years or so

Yes, they have and it is getting REALLY boring!!!!! It's all a load of b*ll*cks!

The fact is Thailand NEEDS foreign investment desperately!

Ahhh, the first crack down of the day has been announced, possibly upgraded to a witch hunt, tomorrow.

My thoughts exactly :)

Remember those wonderful PictureHouses that showed the same old 'B' movies/ cartoons & documentaries every Sat morning....

welcome to LOS.....same show year after year....

Gawd, IMHO, you TV MODS must be so bored with the cheapseats show and audience year in - year out....no?

huggz y'all..... time for your cocoa drinks...

Brewsta

This is for those of you who need to hear it. They will know who they are :) Not directed at everyone or at this specific topic....but as I say.....

Enough is enough !!!! Wow don't you guys realise what damage you are doing to not only yourselves but foreigners who live in Thailand ? I am not sure you mean to, or really think about what you do when you write on here, but the result is so negative and damaging; constantly spreading inuendo, gossip and misinformation via this chat forum. I am not sure who of you live or do anything constructive in Thailand, but you really should go back and check your posts. Chat forums are getting a very bad reputation not only with foreigners living and working in Thailand but with Thai people too. That is not good news for us.

The internet is a great thing and chat forums are good sites but they should not be acting as a truthful news forum telling us constantly bad and negative things. You must be very careful what you write and say. It has a result. Do you think constantly gossiping on here about things many of us know very little about, has a positive effect on foreigners in Thailand ? Do you think it is polite or nice to talk so badly and negatively about a country that many of us live and work in ? Also are you aware now that people are being prosecuted for writing on blogs and forums ? In USA and elsewhere.

How would you like it if Thai's came to your countries and gossiped and spread rumours all over the internet about your country. I know in the USA and Europe, the reaction from us would be....Kick them out !!! The authorities would also look into it for sure too. Is that what you want ? It is not our country and most of you speak or write no Thai at all. Many do not live here and many do not work or have business here. So how do you know what the Thai's think or say. How do you know what governments are doing ? Ohhhhh you heard from the truth machine; the chat forum news snippet......oh dear please get a life. Then there is a translation issue too.

The Thai's are very tolerant but I don't blame them for getting upset. If I was Thai and read this forum my reaction would be "YOU are anti Thai and anti Thailand. For God's sake leave them alone and shut up. If it is so bad, then go back home ! Leave us in peace. You are getting really boring and belive me when I say not just me but all the business community and people I know who live and work here are sick to death of these news snippets and constant digs at the Thai's. Leave it alone why don't you. How weird that people who spend every day talking about Thailand need to do so in such a negative and rude away. If it is so bad why are you so obssessed with it. Find a life somewhere else but leave us alone please.

The Thai's Have every right to look at land deals that are illegal. But there are alot that are not. I have never in all my time here (over ten years) had a problem with anything from visa's to work permits, businesses to having a house built. NEVER ! I am married to a Thai and we have a lovely life here and both of us are very happy. But to hear the mindless trivial and inaccurate information spread around like manure on this site is just so pathetic and upsetting alot of people who live here. You got to stop it lads or you will cause so much damage to foreigners reputation and lives here. Also are your countries any better ? Guess not or you would not be on here all the time.

What are you talking about witch hunts and so on. What a load of rubbish. And if it ever did happen you lot would be a part of the cause due to your constant negative gossip and unkind comments about a country you seem all addicted to and obssessed with. If you dislike it so much why do you come to a forum and constantly gossip about it. Surely if you dislike it, stop talking about it and move away.Thousands of foreigners are married to Thai's and live in a house here. They are happy. Do you think your comments are pleasing them or giving stability to their situations. They are getting cheesed of with this kind of thing. Why do you do it ? Are you bored ? Don't have lives ? Hate Thailand ? What is it ?

If you walk across a road and some guys spits at you every time, day in and day out. You don't cross the road. So if you don't like it here and its so awful: There's the airport....fly home and leave us all alone.

I know alot of people in Thailand and they are all saying how cheesed off they are with chat forums and the people who are really now causing us to be brought into bad light in Thailand. Opinions are one thing but gossip and constant digs at the Thai people and their country is not. Even if there are unproductive things happening or things we do not like, who are we to change it. It is not our country. They have every right to develop in the way they wish to or how it naturally occurs.

My advice is sound: You got to stop lads as it is getting really boring and upsetting a lot of people. Advertisers soon walk away and you are causing those of us (the majority) who live in Thailand to be looked at badly. Also why don't you go on about your own countries; they are hardly bastions of perfection !!! Are they not all nearly bankrupt, both financially, socially and morally ? Guess there must be a reason why we are here. something good.

Enough said. I am sure you do not think maybe when you write stuff and we are all guilty of that. But time for a wake up call.

Or you can ignore this and just write bad comments back. But I think many of you will know I am right in what I say. I don't say this because I want to upset anyone or cause an argument. I am sure you are all good guys and nice people. I am saying it, because someone needs to. This latest land thing and constant over the top panic is crazy and immature, misinformed and causes damage to all us thousands who work here, live here and have chosen Thailand to be our home. So please for all of us and anyone who lives here....stop. Chat about it but don't be so negative, try to be honest and not so unkind to a country that we all love. Opinion is one thing but prejudice is another. Have a great day :D

Dear Newbie,

Wish you could read your own article within 5 years from now, after the new paint of your new wife has been scratched a bit and the real substance is coming clear... Perhaps then you will understand, not now.

Dear Advanced,

What a dumb assumption, do you know his wife?? Or are all Thai women the same?? Your real substance is very clear by just writing about someone else his wife. It is all generated in YOUR mind. Absolutely below par. FYI my wife's substance is very clear after 22 years marriage, she's a diamond. And by the way I know many Thai wifes who are top mothers and wifes. But in general you don't find diamonds in a garbage can, where did you learned your lessons? You are the newby here boy.

This is for those of you who need to hear it. They will know who they are :) Not directed at everyone or at this specific topic....but as I say.....

Enough is enough !!!! Wow don't you guys realise what damage you are doing to not only yourselves but foreigners who live in Thailand ? I am not sure you mean to, or really think about what you do when you write on here, but the result is so negative and damaging; constantly spreading inuendo, gossip and misinformation via this chat forum. I am not sure who of you live or do anything constructive in Thailand, but you really should go back and check your posts. Chat forums are getting a very bad reputation not only with foreigners living and working in Thailand but with Thai people too. That is not good news for us.

The internet is a great thing and chat forums are good sites but they should not be acting as a truthful news forum telling us constantly bad and negative things. You must be very careful what you write and say. It has a result. Do you think constantly gossiping on here about things many of us know very little about, has a positive effect on foreigners in Thailand ? Do you think it is polite or nice to talk so badly and negatively about a country that many of us live and work in ? Also are you aware now that people are being prosecuted for writing on blogs and forums ? In USA and elsewhere.

How would you like it if Thai's came to your countries and gossiped and spread rumours all over the internet about your country. I know in the USA and Europe, the reaction from us would be....Kick them out !!! The authorities would also look into it for sure too. Is that what you want ? It is not our country and most of you speak or write no Thai at all. Many do not live here and many do not work or have business here. So how do you know what the Thai's think or say. How do you know what governments are doing ? Ohhhhh you heard from the truth machine; the chat forum news snippet......oh dear please get a life. Then there is a translation issue too.

The Thai's are very tolerant but I don't blame them for getting upset. If I was Thai and read this forum my reaction would be "YOU are anti Thai and anti Thailand. For God's sake leave them alone and shut up. If it is so bad, then go back home ! Leave us in peace. You are getting really boring and belive me when I say not just me but all the business community and people I know who live and work here are sick to death of these news snippets and constant digs at the Thai's. Leave it alone why don't you. How weird that people who spend every day talking about Thailand need to do so in such a negative and rude away. If it is so bad why are you so obssessed with it. Find a life somewhere else but leave us alone please.

The Thai's Have every right to look at land deals that are illegal. But there are alot that are not. I have never in all my time here (over ten years) had a problem with anything from visa's to work permits, businesses to having a house built. NEVER ! I am married to a Thai and we have a lovely life here and both of us are very happy. But to hear the mindless trivial and inaccurate information spread around like manure on this site is just so pathetic and upsetting alot of people who live here. You got to stop it lads or you will cause so much damage to foreigners reputation and lives here. Also are your countries any better ? Guess not or you would not be on here all the time.

What are you talking about witch hunts and so on. What a load of rubbish. And if it ever did happen you lot would be a part of the cause due to your constant negative gossip and unkind comments about a country you seem all addicted to and obssessed with. If you dislike it so much why do you come to a forum and constantly gossip about it. Surely if you dislike it, stop talking about it and move away.Thousands of foreigners are married to Thai's and live in a house here. They are happy. Do you think your comments are pleasing them or giving stability to their situations. They are getting cheesed of with this kind of thing. Why do you do it ? Are you bored ? Don't have lives ? Hate Thailand ? What is it ?

If you walk across a road and some guys spits at you every time, day in and day out. You don't cross the road. So if you don't like it here and its so awful: There's the airport....fly home and leave us all alone.

I know alot of people in Thailand and they are all saying how cheesed off they are with chat forums and the people who are really now causing us to be brought into bad light in Thailand. Opinions are one thing but gossip and constant digs at the Thai people and their country is not. Even if there are unproductive things happening or things we do not like, who are we to change it. It is not our country. They have every right to develop in the way they wish to or how it naturally occurs.

My advice is sound: You got to stop lads as it is getting really boring and upsetting a lot of people. Advertisers soon walk away and you are causing those of us (the majority) who live in Thailand to be looked at badly. Also why don't you go on about your own countries; they are hardly bastions of perfection !!! Are they not all nearly bankrupt, both financially, socially and morally ? Guess there must be a reason why we are here. something good.

Enough said. I am sure you do not think maybe when you write stuff and we are all guilty of that. But time for a wake up call.

Or you can ignore this and just write bad comments back. But I think many of you will know I am right in what I say. I don't say this because I want to upset anyone or cause an argument. I am sure you are all good guys and nice people. I am saying it, because someone needs to. This latest land thing and constant over the top panic is crazy and immature, misinformed and causes damage to all us thousands who work here, live here and have chosen Thailand to be our home. So please for all of us and anyone who lives here....stop. Chat about it but don't be so negative, try to be honest and not so unkind to a country that we all love. Opinion is one thing but prejudice is another. Have a great day :D

Amen Brother. A salute to the one with balls enough to voice the sentiments of the more quiet farang populace in Thailand.

I second that. Whiners and husslers go home, Thailand is not good enough to you..

The whole problem here lies in the fact that even if you are married with a Thai it gives you no special status whereas in the US for example you're given a green card.

ABSOLUTELY not true, wrong information. I received my Thai citizenship because of my married status. Get the facts before writting.

Eh, no, that is not how it works.

And gaining a PR and later citizenship can be done without being married.

Being married doesn't make the process shorter nor does it happen 'automatically' because of it - as is almost the case in many western countries. (Signing a paper = not much work.)

Unbelievable, Ehh yes that is how it did wort for me. On the basis of being married I received my TC and if you bother to follow the latest changes, if your married for over 5 years you do not need a PR anymore. But be quickly, they will change back soon. And by the way there is a bit more than just signing papers to it.

For the people who are saying that it serves foreigners right if they have skirted the law in setting up their company.

Most times this has been done on the advice of Thai lawyers that were hired to give advice and do the paperwork.

BS you are responsible what lawyer you hire. A little back road law office maybe low in cost but you pay the price later, when you least need it.

This is a distraction from the real problem.

The rich and powerful of all countries want people to focus on a group of people who are "different". Then they're free to grab the money with no spotlight on them.

Same same but different in Thailand.

How would you like it if Thai's came to your countries and gossiped and spread rumours all over the internet about your country. I know in the USA and Europe, the reaction from us would be....Kick them out !!! The authorities would also look into it for sure too.

100% FALSE!

America allows this, it even tollerates intollerance. True- you are spied on, that's a given.

But if you are not intending harm to America it will not act against you. There are wingnuts in America who want to kick people out who are foreign, true. But they're allowed to be wingnuts and are a small group. And visitors can say what they like without formal reprisal too. Criticism of government was not tollerated under Bush, true, but it is returning to a country that improves as a result of criticism again -from any source. Post whatever lunacy you like in America in chat forums or in print, no problem -as long as you aren't intending harm.

Thais are free to criticize their government, as long as they're polite about it. Thais that I know are OK with falang criticizing about their government.

I just couldn't let this go unrebutted. No flame war intended.

Edited by ding

This isn't historically correct. The Vietnamese colonized the area many centuries before. Borders change throughout history... that's just what happens when one empire weakens (the Khmer) and others become more powerful.

And in 1949 Vietnam was still a French colony. It's a good 5 years before the French were kicked out and 26 years before the Communists liberated the South.

Doing business in Vietnam isn't quite as bad as you say but that's not the point of this thread...

Foreigners in Thailand may complain or criticize policies but it isn't anti-Thai.

A lot of these "crackdowns" exhibit the same short-sidedness (e.g., interest in short term tax revenue, corruption) that ultimately hurts Thais the most.

For the people who are saying that it serves foreigners right if they have skirted the law in setting up their company.

Most times this has been done on the advice of Thai lawyers that were hired to give advice and do the paperwork.

BS you are responsible what lawyer you hire. A little back road law office maybe low in cost but you pay the price later, when you least need it.

What crap!

If you know the law, why would you hire a lawyer?

Do you judge a lawer by the location of their office?

Idiot!

Thais have to keep a watchful eye and a strong hand on westerners. Other wise they would own the place lock stock and barrel.

don't cry before you get hit.........

I have heard and read this saying before, I belive it is called Nationalism. See how that attitude will affect Thailands economy and Intenational trade. In Trade a 'Quit Pro Quo' is always expected to enable Business in both directions. I am sorry to say though . you are correct, that seems to be the mode in Thailand, thus a economical problem is worsen. :D:D

Nationalism and foreign ownership of another's country are two different things. They can be exclusive of each other. Some nationalistic countries are very prosperous and some are not. And some countries that allow massive foreign ownership are impoverished and some are not. Your "nationism" statement in not valid when discussing "foreign ownership" of another country.

I thought the subject was foreign ownership of Foreign-Thai Busineses and not Countries. That is how Nationalism in Business rears its ugly Head. By the way if anyone in the whole Globe thinks they own anything, they are mistaken. Just ask yourself, Just who can confiscate my property (without reimbursement/compensation :) ) and that is who owns it. :D:D

Isn't life wonderful - and so many of you are sooooo predictable.

What starts off as a very reasonable and thoughtful discussion degenerates into a slanging match and a "I know more about everything than you do." session.

It is so pointless.

The one possibly useful info (setting up a company in Singapore is cheap and the company is legally recognised here) I asked for more info and supporting evidence. Nothing came of that. If that is the case then surely that could be reallly useful to many here.

Oh well. Frankly, from what I've read here, many of you would be far better off (but I bet no happier) living elsewhere. Thailand is far from perfect (but is there such a place?).

And so to bed.... (Samuel Pepys - various - no doubt someone will tell me it was Peter Lorie or GW Bush!).

Sweet dreams people!

Ok some facts which should be recognized. When did all this BS start? Answer: When the now run away EX Prime started it. And even with him ousted it continous, because in the power centers are still his installed Switch board selectors are working. Because the run away never accepted like all the ousted Primes before reality, like they did, stay out of trouble and after a few years then come back, and all will be cool.

Right now it is in no way cool within Thailand, and when Investors and Foreign Business People are gone and the Country then goes even faster down. The run away will come back and save the Country the way he likes it.

That the stupid ones will look up to him like a hero and they will even increase in numbers, then there will come the part of cleaning he will do with all of them who where involved of getting him busted out while he was in NY, he did not forget that and the insult done to him has made him dangerous like a wounded Leopard.

What we think we see and know about Thailand is nothing to that what is realy going on within its centers of power, and the site streams within the populace. There is fear and uncertain within and the have nots the red are feed by the Run away Prime, so he has the right background to return to his Country, because he believes that he ownes it.

Lets talk about it within the next 6 months and lets see how it has developed. Seher vom Stein

While a good choice right now are Manila for the Foreigner who wants peace of mind. of course do you have to be careful there as well. Its not the paradise but at least you can work and stay without hassle and visa trouble and do business fast and easy as well, if you do it right. No BS every 90 days, changes in work permit etc. Just if you need to leave the country you have to get a clearance from the NBI that you are not on the wanted list and allowed to leave. Its fair this way they have a bit control over it to be cheated by foreigners, the Girls are great as well, highly catholic and as well you get the family to take care of, nothing new.

about the rest, simple no matter in what Country you go as long as you play within the rules, you can do anything within the rules. If you do things outside them then you take the risk for being punished. Take it or leave it.

The Thai government pull's this out of the hat every now & then, it promotes xenophobia but in reality it dislikes poor Thai's leaving their farming & climbing the greasy pole. God forbid; with a bit of dosh behind them they might get interested in politics!

This country should be avoided by all businesses. Nobody should make significant investments in Thailand as the elite are well known for damaging the investment climate. Having themselves major interest anywhere abroad they use the courts and the officials who are on their payroll to make rulings against foreigners which are in general baseless.

It is very common practice to use nominees worldwide. It is a little less common practice to hire blue shorted people to beat the hel_l out of protestors with an other color who become angry and occupy venues. It is even less likely to see an army shooting with sharp, courts being instructed to rule against democratically elected people and parties and it is unseen worldwide that one cell organisms are allowed to occupy an airport just before the holidays so that tourists and exporting countries alike are presented with huge bills.

The Thai elite need to live in a cocoon. They are unsuitable for the world economy, therefore their nationals should be subject to the same absurd rules as foreigners investing in Thailand. Only when the decision makers pockets are targeted something might happen.

The greed of Thais are so overwhelming that former army leaders and appointed prime ministers encroach on national parks, or monopolize beaches like in Hua Hin, Pattaya or other resort towns so nobody is even able to see the sea anymore. It is not the foreigner who is the problem in this Xenophobic country it is the Thai elite and the semi elite.

Well actually its some of the Thai elite, most of them maybe. The other winners are the crooked corrupt police and government officials who are not the Elite but are the other force of power in the country (ie Thaksins mob). It is the "normal" Thai, the type many of us are married to, decent working or middle class people who feel the consequences of all this corruption, mismanagement and blatant corruption, thievery and stupidly. If we want to criticize this then so what? I even think its my duty to do so.. and this isnt meant to be a criticism of Thailand just of the way things are and how badly the whole country is run. If I am selfish, I could say that the current state of affairs suits my down to the ground - living in a cheap country where nothing is too serious, you can still more or less do or say as you please and life is fun and never boring the corruption can also work in your favor too. I dont depend on Thailand for employment and can leave whenever it choose me however most Thai people can not leave. Since I AM concerned with the normal Thai people then I choose to criticize the way the country is run.

There are too opposing powers in Thailand, the "Elite" and the "Gangsters" the army and the police answer to both, it is the way it always has been since the abolition of absolute monarchy. Thailand unfortunately is getting WORSE, there is more and more crime, everyone seems to be on the take, corruption is killing the country and the infrastructure and then there are these clueless bureaucrats who keep dreaming up ridiculous fantasies about Thailand, giving it an illusion of grandeur. For those foreign companies wishing to do legit business in Thailand, the county does little to reassure investors they are making a good investment3

To be honest though, i do tend to agree we are wasting our time - how much good can come out of posting our ideas on TV. I seriously doubt that any of our comments have ever done anything to change anything in Thailand. I cant see many government people reading through this, they wouldn't understand it and wouldn't accept it anyway, and yeah it robably just causes resentment towards us. Blame the white man for everything!. Its a shame there isn't something more constructive we could do here. Mai Pen Raii Maybe we SHOULD just keep our heads down and enjoy what TL has to offer, but its more difficult if you have a Thai wife and raising a family here (i dont but anyway).

Edited by CrossBones

62 million baht invested in 19000 businesses, that is only 3150bt each business. Figures dont sound right to me.

It's time to make business. only 3150THB to become rich!!! Or perhaps i will wait a promotion: Buy one business, get one free :)

comes to 31,500Bt/business....still not much, I'm sure an investigation will show these businesses bring money to Thailand not take it out

You left out Jobs that are created by the companies in addition to the money that they bring in.

I think the real problem is the white faced snobs who all run in small circles of "look at me" are pissed because now they have all the Dark faced Eissan girls sitting next to them at the diamond stores now buying bigger rings and moving into their villages which is pissing the wealthy white faced women who think that the dark faced women are below them.....I almost believe that the white faced women "You know the ones that like to go to the mall to socialize sitting on the luxury chairs while everyone else sits on the plastic chairs" are worse than the men because those women actually have a tendency act out like 4 year olds when the parent says no to them picking up candy at a store. They really do stomp their feet and walk in circles around and around screaming NO NO NO NO ...it is a site to see if you haven't seen this.

Australia actually has similar rules to Thailand when it comes to foreign ownership of property. A foreigner can buy into a new condo development with no real problems, and I believe the same applies to resales- up to 50% (or so) of a condo can be foreign owned. To buy a house with land however requires approval from the FIRB (Foreign Investment Review Board). In practise, this means only large investors will proceed along this route. The point being, I don't see much forum chatter about Aussies being discriminatory, or racist!

The problem, as I see it, in Thailand is opacity. Company ownership of property here was quite heavily promoted- often with the 'local' equity being held by nominee shareholders- which in reality makes it a bit if a sham. Then the Thai government cracks down on that, or threatens to. Now there is Usufract, and other convoluted methods for a foreigner to hold property- effectively, you own the property but not the land. The Thai government is not exactly known for it's constancy also, which keeps foreigners on edge. In real terms, I suspect it costs the country money- for example, I keep things simple. Assets in Thailand are held in my wifes name, offshore in my own. If the laws were clarified or relaxed here, I would be willing to invest more in Thailand. There are many like me.

It would be nice to see the laws clarified, and it is not for me to say exactly how- that would depend upon government priorities. Perhaps a foreigner with a Thai spouse might be allowed to own land up to a certain amount of Rai, on condition said land is Willed to his spouse? Or a foreigner might be allowed to own a house and land up to half a rai- i.e a Home, not a business. Then there are the rules involving foreign business ownership, specifically small business. A foreigner can, for example, own a bar or restaurant- but not perform any work there! It's all a bit of a mess, and as I said more clarity would benefit this country.

What crap!

If you know the law, why would you hire a lawyer?

Do you judge a lawer by the location of their office?

Idiot!

Go wash your mouth and don't comment if you don't understand something....

It's time to make business. only 3150THB to become rich!!! Or perhaps i will wait a promotion: Buy one business, get one free :)

comes to 31,500Bt/business....still not much, I'm sure an investigation will show these businesses bring money to Thailand not take it out

You left out Jobs that are created by the companies in addition to the money that they bring in.

I think the real problem is the white faced snobs who all run in small circles of "look at me" are pissed because now they have all the Dark faced Eissan girls sitting next to them at the diamond stores now buying bigger rings and moving into their villages which is pissing the wealthy white faced women who think that the dark faced women are below them.....I almost believe that the white faced women "You know the ones that like to go to the mall to socialize sitting on the luxury chairs while everyone else sits on the plastic chairs" are worse than the men because those women actually have a tendency act out like 4 year olds when the parent says no to them picking up candy at a store. They really do stomp their feet and walk in circles around and around screaming NO NO NO NO ...it is a site to see if you haven't seen this.

Wow, some kind of a woman problem that is, I feel sorry for you.

Thai Law is very specific regarding Alien ownership/ participation in corporate entities in Thailand. The use of a Thai nominee by a foreigner to illegitmately by-pass the rules can be fraudulent. I know that the same rationale (ie fraud) applies in most countries around the world, not just Siam.

Although Thailand needs foreign investment, remember, foreigners are often precluded from investing in their own native countries. Hence the reason why they grasp at the opportunities offered here.

The real question is how many farangs are vulnerable in BKK, Pattaya & Hua Hin should the net be widened!

I was a business editor at the Nation for a few years. The reporters can't be bothered to such complicated math and nowadays their overworked editors haven't the time to check for all of their mistakes.

But a lot of times, these figures come straight from the authorities and Thai journalists are afraid to ask any questions that might embarrass any official.

That's why nothing can be trusted in print at the Nation or the Post.

The 62 million baht figure is much to low for so many businesses.

Maybe the pocket-calculators don't habe more than 8 digits. And there's no algebraic input logic.

Edited by Sturbuc

I think this forum is getting too emotional, although it is a topic of great interest to many who want to know how things might proceed or if there will be no change. The problem is not so much one of Thai bashing or complaining about restrictive rules. It is more that Thai businessmen and lawyers found ways to get around their own very restrictive laws to get foreigners to invest in Thailand and successive governments turned a blind eye to it. Nationalism has grown stronger since the economic collapse of 1997 and now weak politicians who have very little else to offer voters are trying to make hay out of this. To put things in perspective ask yourselves how this might have turned out in Singapore which also has some restrictions on foreign land ownership and business ownership in certain sectors. Would it have been possible for local businesses and lawyers to advertise their services in facilitating illegal transactions for several decades with impunity? No it would not. The police would have been round in a flash to investigate and the illegal activities would have been stopped at once. Now ask yourselves who is to blame in Thailand and what should be done to unravel the situation.

VDO on http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1227

or

item--1--- Phuket Governor orders tighter examination on businesses related to foreign joint ventures to prevent nominees but stresses that the measures would not disturb those who are lawful.

Government agencies with their work related to foreign investors or businesses were ordered by the Phuket Governor to carefully check on information and background of firms with foreign investors, in an attempt to prevent the so call nominee problems. The Governor told this to related officials during his meeting with Vice Governor Tri Akkaradecha and representatives from local government, private sector and officials. The move follows wide media reports about the findings by Thailand Research Foundation stating that foreigners allegedly controlled 90 percent of land along the coastline of Phuket through Thai nominees. The tighter measures would also include taxation and work permits as well as the land possession or ownership transferal. He stressed that the move aims to reduce the nominee problem. Meanwhile Chairat Sukhaban, Deputy Patong Mayor, suggested that opportunities are still open and they welcome lawful investors. Mr. Chairat however commented that government officials must also strictly observe the law and regulations and not suggest loopholes for the investors. Chairat believes that there are not many cases of norminees in Phuket while 98% of hotels in Patong are still owned by Thai nationals or Thai companies.

item--2--- A new committee is appointed for environmental impact assessment report considerations in Phuket to assure accuracy and remedy loopholes.

Business operators and representatives from environmental consultation firms attended a seminar on guidelines for authority’s consideration on project construction which need study reports on environmental impact assessment. Explaining to the participants, Phuket Governor Wichai Praisa-Ngob revealed that he had received complaints about some projects’ environmental impact studies saying that they are not accurate or some do not follow the academic measures. He said a new committee has been appointed. They comprise experts on environment such as Dr. Hansa Jansaeng, and Dr. Nalinee Thongtham, a marine biologist from the Marine and Coastal Resources Office. The committee is assigned to hold a meeting at least once a month to prevent delay of consideration for the businesses’ permission requests. 39 projects are awaiting consideration at present he said. The governor stressed that if the applicants are offered by any parties to assist with the consideration in an unlawful means, they are advised to report to authorities, as they will not be granted permission unless their paper findings are accurate. Governor Wichai was also tough with projects which have passed the IEE or EIA and afterwards do not follow procedures as stated in the proposals and that if any firms fail to meet the committee’s requirements to improve their terms and conditions suggested by the committee, the projects will not be approved, he insisted.

Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm, 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Friday 4th September 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews

Kazakh investor suspected of Phuket land grab through Thai nominees

BANGKOK, Sept 3 (TNA) – The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Legal Affairs, Justice and Human Rights is investigating a company suspected as a front for a foreign investor in the resort island of Phuket with Thai nominees to buy land.

Following a petition by local residents, committee’s spokesman Thanaroj Rojjanakulset said the parliamentary panel will probe an alleged public land encroachment by Mai Khao Dream Co.,Ltd., a hotel and resort company.

Preliminary investigation showed that Yuri Kiratulin, a Kazakh, provided loans to some Thais who later bought plots of land, including the Mai Khao Dream project to set up the Mai Khao Dream Company, with Mr Kiratulin listed as operations director.

Mr Thanaroj said the panel found that the company originally owned 15 rai (six acres) of land, but it changed to 18 rai (7.2 acres) after the land measurement to issue title deeds.

The project is suspected of being a public land encroachment, Mr Thanaroj said, adding that a local official told the committee that he was given the name card of the deputy interior minister’s team asking him to help facilitate the land purchase.

“We suspected that this case might be a disguised deal between Thai nominees and a foreign investor with the help of state officials,” said Mr Thanaroj.

He said the committee would ask for additional documents from related agencies for further investigation. (TNA)

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=11633

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 03/09/09