Outside Terrace Ceiling

Pearlgirl

I built my house 4 years ago and while it was being built I was out of the country. So, I'm not absolutely sure but I think the ceiling in the terrace is made with a type of drywall. A couple of months ago I noticed that the ceiling is starting to crack, especially along the edges. I've been advised to just have this retaped and repainted. Knowing nothing about construction materials, and in particular construction materials in tropical weather, should I be thinking about replacing the ceiling with something more durable - ie. teak wood or some sort of decorative aluminium sheeting, or even cement/waterproofed drywall? I think teak wood would be very expensive and I don't even know if there is any such thing as decorative aluminium sheeting available in Chiang Mai, or in Thailand as a whole - any suggestions would be great.

The ceiling doesn't get wet directly from the rain, well, the edges might get a little damp from time to time depending on the direction of the wind. I'm just concerned that this is just a make-shift repair and serious problems are just down the road. :)

It's easy to tape over any cracks spread some gypsum over the tape sand it down and re paint it, you can even do it yourself in an afternoon.

If you start ripping the ceiling down you might open a can of worms, there is no telling what they used up there for ceiling support rails and how they are fixed, you might end up having to replace the lot if they are wood and not the correct support rails and ties.

It's easy to tape over any cracks spread some gypsum over the tape sand it down and re paint it, you can even do it yourself in an afternoon.

If you start ripping the ceiling down you might open a can of worms, there is no telling what they used up there for ceiling support rails and how they are fixed, you might end up having to replace the lot if they are wood and not the correct support rails and ties.

I would use silicone of matching color rather than tape and plaster. I suspect the cracking is due to movement of support structure either from thermal or wind.

Use the correct calico ceiling tape that is used to cover joints between gypsum board, about 10 baht a roll. Available at every hardware store, gypsum mix over it and sand off.