Marriage certificate

What type of marriage  certificate will one need to show to a consulate to get a Non Immigrant Visa?

Is it one that has been registered with the British Embassy, or can you get a certificate from the local office in Nakhon Nowhere?

I am 48, have well over 1 million baht in a Thai Bank, i work for a living, and am trying hard to get a real visa so i can renew a driving license in Thailand. I need a certificate of Marriage it seems. I sympathise with some 30 day walkers, it's frustrating when you just fall short of the requirements, but i suppose there has to be rules. Are there agencies in Thailand that do the legwork for registering marriages, i work away from Thailand, and dont fancy spending days running round when i could pay for a service, as long as it's legal?

Cheers

Maigo,

if you have registered your marriage inside Thailand you should know what a marriage certificate looks like. This is the one needed for a visa application. If you married a Thai national outside Thailand you will need a Thai translation of the certificate issued in your country and have it registered with a Thai embassy!

There is no problem to obtain a marriage certificate in Thailand but you will need a "letter of no objection" from your embassy (translated into Thai) stating that you are free to marry (not married anywhere else).

NOTE: DO NOT REGISTER A MARRIAGE JUST FOR THE PURPOSE OF OBTAING A VISA!! Be sincere to your wife!!!!

opalhort

Maigo,

if you have registered your marriage inside Thailand you should know what a marriage certificate looks like. This is the one needed for a visa application. If you married a Thai national outside Thailand you will need a Thai translation of the certificate issued in your country and have it registered with a Thai embassy!

There is no problem to obtain a marriage certificate in Thailand but you will need a "letter of no objection" from your embassy (translated into Thai) stating that you are free to marry (not married anywhere else).

NOTE: DO NOT REGISTER A MARRIAGE JUST FOR THE PURPOSE OF OBTAING A VISA!! Be sincere to your wife!!!!

opalhort

What?

I think what Opalhort is saying is that if you married in Thailand then you will have been given a marriage certificate at the time of marriage and it is this that can be produced in support of your visa application. If you married outside of Thailand then the certificate that you were issued will need to be translated before showing it at the relevant Thai embassy/consulate.

Regards,

Scouse.

I think what Opalhort is saying is that if you married in Thailand then you will have been given a marriage certificate at the time of marriage and it is this that can be produced in support of your visa application. If you married outside of Thailand then the certificate that you were issued will need to be translated before showing it at the relevant Thai embassy/consulate.

Regards,

Scouse.

Cheers scouser, i have never married in Thailand but may be getting married soon, just wanted to know what the system was. I been there since 1990, but never got married, Thanks for the translation work to Opal's post, i thought he was lecturing me on my reasons for getting married...........

Good grief, i think that some people assume i am getting married just to obtain a Thai Driving license....

Would anybody do such a thing?  :o

cheers

I am 48, have well over 1 million baht in a Thai Bank, i work for a living, and am trying hard to get a real visa so i can renew a driving license in Thailand. I need a certificate of Marriage it seems.

I got the same meaning as others.  ???

I am 48, have well over 1 million baht in a Thai Bank, i work for a living, and am trying hard to get a real visa so i can renew a driving license in Thailand. I need a certificate of Marriage it seems.

I got the same meaning as others.  ???

ok

Well, ok then. But judging by the lack of response here, nobody seems to have used an agent to register their marriage. If you want it done 'legally' then you really need to go to an ampur office with your wife and fill in all the forms,  give them all the the paperwork (affadavit, certified by embassy etc...) and then sign their copy of the certificate - in person. That's the way I did it. I don't think it can be done any other way.

... and am trying hard to get a real visa so i can renew a driving license in Thailand....

Are there agencies in Thailand that do the legwork for registering marriages...

I am a bit puzzled reading this. To reply your question on registering your marriage I am sure any lawyer can do the legwork for you, as well for all the paperwork you will have with the immigration. The law requires you to contact the immigration office in person. Once there, you can authorize your 'agent' to do the rest of the work for you. (I do this all the time for a Non-imm B.)

As for the driving licence. You heard of the honey - mooners on the train to Las Vegas? The groom was so exited he showed the conductor his wedding licence and got the comment: "Well son, congratulations, this licence sure is valid for many rides, but on this train, I want to see a ticket."

Ooops, for the driving licence (Thai licence) you need to go to the traffic office in charge for your area of residence, show your UK-licence and/or an intenational licence issued outside of Thailand, a residence certificate issued by your embassy showing your address in Thailand. They might ask you for an eye-test identifying colors. Having passed this you will get a Thai licence valid up to 5 years. (This one is for a car-ride)

Just to make it clear, to get married, you don't really need a lawyer, agent or anything. it took my husband & I not that much time. First, we went to the embassy, I signed the affadavit there (needs to be notarized, the woman at american citizen's services was the notary). we then took it to a translator (recommended by the embassy) who then translated it into thai. then we went to some govt office (can't remember which one) where we submitted the affadavit and translation and got a piece of paper giving us permission to marry. which we then took to our local amphur where we got legally married and given a marriage license. this you then take to immigration. if you have any questions contact the citizens services office at your embassy, they will make it all clear. good luck to you!

Well, to make it even clearer...I suggest that you take with you a medical certificate because it sounds like some offices want it and some don't. So if you want to play it safe then get one. Otherwise you risk making two trips to the motor registry. Better still, ring the office that you are going to and ask them what is required.

Well, to make it even clearer...I suggest that you take with you a medical certificate because it sounds like some offices want it and some don't. So if you want to play it safe then get one. Otherwise you risk making two trips to the motor registry. Better still, ring the office that you are going to and ask them what is required.

I have a Thai driving License, its just that it runs out in November, it was valid for a year. Even to get it extended i still need to get all the same paperwork again.

Pre Himbali was no problem, oh well, that's life.

I will get a Non imm one way or another, sooner or later, no big sweat, i am working oversea's, got money and time, but as an ex 30 day walker, i want the easy way.

Flames welcome.

Well, to make it even clearer...I suggest that you take with you a medical certificate

as an ex 30 day walker, i want the easy way.

Flames welcome.

The following are required to make the application :

Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don't qualify)

Present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration Bureau

Medical certificate stating good health

2 photographs Driving License of the respective country Application in person.

Source:

http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

Above came back, when I asked "mamma" for details.

Other sources on the net confirm it, although some refer to a colour blind test (seems that's the one I made)

No flaming and no offence: If you go to an office in Nakhon Nowhere you might get lucky and get your licence without non-imm. In BKK I would not even try it.

As for the medical it is a sound advice to take it, just in case.

You get it in any hospital for a small fee. If you don't wan't to get the medical, try and accept if you are refused.

Well, to make it even clearer...I suggest that you take with you a medical certificate

as an ex 30 day walker, i want the easy way.

Flames welcome.

The following are required to make the application :

Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don't qualify)

Present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration Bureau

Medical certificate stating good health

2 photographs Driving License of the respective country Application in person.

Source:

http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

Above came back, when I asked "mamma" for details.

Other sources on the net confirm it, although some refer to a colour blind test (seems that's the one I made)

No flaming and no offence: If you go to an office in Nakhon Nowhere you might get lucky and get your licence without non-imm. In BKK I would not even try it.

As for the medical it is a sound advice to take it, just in case.

You get it in any hospital for a small fee. If you don't wan't to get the medical, try and accept if you are refused.

Yes all those things i done when i got my license last year, now it runs out next month, so i need to do it again.

cheers